• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Yes. Seasoned 155g-165g are great throwers but not understable.
No. Although the 135g-140g can be understable like a wave.
Yep. Protons are the best flying IMO.

I use 170g+ protons w/166-8g seasoned neutrons.

Last edited:
So I have a ~155g Fission Photon that I get a touch of turn out of. I'd like to find one that is a touch more overstable to fill the high speed straight turn shots and one that is a touch more understable for those max distance throws. Would a ~175g Neutron and a ~155g Neutron fill those roles? Or would I be best sticking with Fission?

I don't think my Fission Photon has really dumpy fade but I also don't have a Neutron to compare to. Anyone else notice that kind of fade?
I have a 155 fission as well that gets as much turn as my Wave. I recently got a 168 neutron and it's so money.

I might see if my noodle arm can use some lighter Neutrons for long distance hyzer and windy shots.

I can't seem to say it enough, this disc is awesome. Never been one to bag more than one of each mold but the Photon has changed that. Neutron, Proton, and Fission has been a great combo for me.

I was able to pick up a domey pop-top Fission Photon @ 163g. It looks almost identical to my retired Avery Star Destroyer.

I'm wondering what I should expect of the flight as it breaks in. Has anyone had a domey one for a while? Does a domey disc have a tendency to keep its stability longer or will it get flippy quicker than normal. Better or worse in heavier winds?

I never really cared much about disc with dome which is why I enjoy throwing MVP. I got it because I've never seen one like that and figured why not give it a try. Threw it around the yard half power and it seemed to glide forever. I didn't have near enough room to give it a full rip. I'll have a chance to use it on the course tmr and the weekend. Intrigued for sure.

Fission with dome at light weight are understable. Not sure about heavy ones but the teslas hold up well.

Last edited:
So, I went all Aim on a 164 Fission Photon. Gave it some good rips in to the base of a tree. About ten or twelve. This disc is so money that I am half tempted to so the same to my new 166 neutron. But, as of right now, I like my 174, 166, 157 Neutron set up with my "beat" 164 fission for a more reliable wave like flight.

I started with a 146 Fission Photon. It was really money for a while with a really straight flight and solid fade but after a few months it lost it's ability to come back with any fade at all. I don't have a huge arm but I can hit 350 pretty regular.

I then got a 155 Neutron Photon. It was very overstable with a hard fade. It had zero glide and I don't think I ever got that thing out past 320.

Then last week I got a 153 Proton Photon and this is the best Photon yet. The plastic feels great. It's flies like the Neutron one except it glides 30 feet farther with ease. This is what I wanted the Photon to be.

Then last week I got a 153 Proton Photon and this is the best Photon yet.

I already had a preference for Proton across the board (except for Envy/Proxy, for some reason.) And I agree that the Pro Phos are the best. My 172 has become my go to for all distance shots except for more extreme US shots.

I played a round in pretty stiff wind yesterday (BFowler, @ F Liske) and to be (for me) so glidey and not aggressively OS @ 172, it was still pretty reliable in the wind.

In my "full bag" I still tote a Fisson around 160 and a 170's N. The N is one of the gummier ones, and I just really prefer that feel for flicks. And the Fis I get more straight line D with a later dumpy fade with less lateral movement, which comes in handy on some shots. But I'm throwing the Proton on like 90% of shots beyond say 325, they totally go boom.

I'd agree with all Proton Photon comments. They crush. My go to as well. A 168g and a 173g

I switched from a Wraith to a Proton Photon over the winter. Last summer I lost a champion Wraith that was my distance head wind driver.

Are the Photons with more dome Stable enough to be a head wind driver? I think a phase would be too over stable for me.

my heavy proton plastic handle headwind better vs neutrons but its not a super OS flight. the protons seem to be the most OS in general. Phase was pretty dang OS and can just put a little more hyzer on the photon really.

I switched from a Wraith to a Proton Photon over the winter. Last summer I lost a champion Wraith that was my distance head wind driver.

Are the Photons with more dome Stable enough to be a head wind driver? I think a phase would be too over stable for me.

Phase is pretty stout. I bag one, but still prefer a Motion for "normal" high headwind drives.

I find the Proton (if that's what we're calling "more dome") to be pretty consistent in windy conditions, though. In a more blustery headwind, it might drift/turn more than normal, but (w/my arm) never anything like turn/burn.

I was ripping mine hard and flat into 20-30mph winds a couple weeks ago, it didn't turn, more like a slow drift to the right with a later fade.

Thanks Ya'll! I haven't thrown it in the wind in a ton but I like cycling discs. I have two fission Photons as well so I was curious how stable of a photon I could find.

Threw my pair of 173g protons in some good winds at a wide open course and was never let down. These handle 375-400' of power into decent headwind well and never flipped over with nice FW fade not dumpy like a true OS disc. My 166g seasoned neutron really pairs up well too its truly a disc now that fits between photon/wave. Its stupid straight flying like a faster beat up volt.

I REALLY like this disc.

My slightly seasoned 168 proton is the straightest driver I've ever thrown. Just a tiny wiggle and really soft fade for its speed. Can do about anything with it.

I have a "seasoned" 166 Neutron Photon that is absolutely a dream to throw. Does it drift right in a headwind? Certainly. Then it fades back. It really loves tailwind though. Big distance for me. Photons truly are my new, much, much better Destroyer.