• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Physical Flight Booster PaK and Challenger PaK

Continued…

Left Side
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_3.jpg

The right side doesn't have the mini pocket or the pencil stashes, but it does have two zippers, again both of which zip up. The top pocket is a perfect size for your watch, a baseball, keys, your wallet, and some other things (though they also fit nicely in the top-most pocket). The bottom pocket can fit three additional discs, and if you'd like to make the right side one big pocket, you can do that by unfastening the velcro and pushing the flap down. So no, you can't throw loose change in the top pocket without it falling through, but who throws loose change into a disc golf bag anyway?

Right Side
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_4.jpg

The top pocket is pretty darn spacious. The dual zippers let you open the pocket from the middle or either side. There's a square pouch buried deep in the back that makes for a good cell phone holster (so long as you don't need to answer your phone before it sends calls to voicemail). The pocket could be easier to access, but given the design of the bag, that's not really possible - it's just a cavernous pocket with slightly undersized access.

Note that in the photo below you can see the internal frame. Earlier versions had a bar going across the top, but that's been removed, so you can un-velcro the top flap (again, no loose change) and push it down into the bag, providing for one HUGE pocket that goes from the top of the bag all the way to the disc storage area in the bottom. If it's raining, that may be the way to use the bag.

Typically, though, the top pocket will store an extra shirt, some towels, your birdie bag, etc. If you can fit those things in the side pockets, though, the top pocket is large enough that you can fit four to six discs in there. If you're keeping track at home, that's almost 30 discs - 18 in the main pouch, two in the putter pocket, three in the right pocket, and six up top. Wowee!

Internal Frame
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_6.jpg

The side pocket with three MVP Amps hiding inside.

Side Pocket (with 3 MVP Amps)
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_7.jpg

This view below shows the bag with the flap sitting open. This is one of the more annoying features on the bag, though it's nowhere near as annoying as the comparable features on the Grip or the ProDiscus (I'll mention those shortly). Unless you're content to have the flap, uhhh, flapping around, it's recommended that you tuck the flap in and underneath the discs. Unfortunately, the time to do this is before you put any discs in… which is at odds with zipping up your bag to transport it. The first thing many Challenger Pak owners will do upon arriving at the course is taking out all of their discs, tucking the flap under, and adding their discs back in.

Once you've done that, things are great until the end of the round (though you can just pull the flap out from under your discs). Discs in the corners and middle of the Challenger Pak slide out easily because the opening is uniform - a consistent height across the width of the bag.

Compare and contrast that to the Grip and the ProDiscus bags - their rounded openings make getting discs from the left and right sides (often your wider drivers and/or mids, too) a real pain sometimes. The ProDiscus bag has a pocket which falls down and interferes with discs from above, and the Grip has velcro that holds the flap back but which can wear over time to be less grippy. The ProDiscus doesn't even have the velcro, just a flap that's always kind of in the way a little bit.

So, it's a tradeoff. Still, I think the Challenger Pak could be made better with one simple change: fold the pouch cover in half and flip it down in front, then affix snaps to the appropriate locations to hold it down to the front outside of the bag, not tucked beneath your discs.

Long View (Flap Open)
pf_challenger_pak_purple_s_8.jpg

In the end, I think the Physical Flight Challenger Pak is the best disc golf bag on the market right now. Sure, some like the "coolness" of the Grip or the ProDiscus. Some like the ability to carry 83 discs and a 24-pack of beer in the Golf Mahal. Others like their quad straps and standard bags. But none offer the comfort and ease of use of the Challenger IMO, and this bag is well worth your consideration.

I'll be able to say more when I get to play a few rounds with mine, but that's a long ways off.

Thanks for the review and pics. Man, now I don't know if I want the booster anymore. You made the Challenger sound pretty sweet (as did the youtube video).

Right now I have an adidas bag that my wife sewed the guts from an old innova bag into. Works OK, but the plastic inserts warp and make it ride funny and bending to pick it up is tough on my back.

Also looking at Grip, Mahal (have an 8 month old I take to the course so it could double as diaper bag), one of the new bags from upper park, or waiting to look at the big hyzer backpack in February that Will S was carrying.

I only carry 12 discs including my putter (I keep the backups at home) and could whittle that down to 8 or 9. I only play weekends until summer, then I play almost every other day. I really want to pull the trigger on this bag, but I know I will have bag envy and buyers remorse as soon as I do.

Anyway thanks for your detailed post, review, and pics. They were very informative and helpful.

Add wheels!

I have a question...what is the next bag you would like us to make? We are thinking a smaller competition style bag like or performance pak that will carry 10 discs-12 discs that will be made of ballistic nylon so it wont fall apart like most small cheap bags and come with another lifetime warranty.

Just for reference we make:
Chally Pak (backpack style 30+ disc capacity)
Performance Pak (quad shock competition style bag 20-25 disc capacity)
Booster Pak (backpack style 12-15 disc capacity) still ironing out the bugs
I'd like to see a Chally-pack with wheels & a telescoping handle (rolling backpack)!

Yes MJ and Josh carry the bag and the other grey and black bag in the pic is Scott Wallace and anyone who knows him knows he puts his bags thru the paces and it has stood the test of time!!

Rolling wheels will not be a possibility, the poles and frame would add too much weight and decrease comfort of the bag.

Felt like nothing on my back, fully loaded. Had the wife try it out too and she said the same thing.

+1 ... my wife is actually looking forward to caddying next year.

I looooove my orange Chally, good job Physical Flight :hfive:

That purple is pretty sweet.

Everyone who has the bag that I have seen tuck it under.

Also we will have some bad a** bags with contrasting zippers. (Ex: all black bag with red zippers and hems and red logo).

Nice reviews and photos! Thanks iacas and others.

Is zippers fully waterproof? I have Grip-Eq and water do go seep through the zippers and I have to use Grip-Eq's fly to cover the whole bag.

If it rains, then I guess one can put two putters inside on top of rows of disc and close the flap. Any better ideas?

Looks like it can mount on golf's pull cart quite easily like I did with my Grip-Eq. I do have ClicGear 3.0 push cart which I only use for flat courses which I put Grip-Eq on too.

Rolling wheels will not be a possibility, the poles and frame would add too much weight and decrease comfort of the bag.

I think it would be great to create new product, something like foldable cart (with similar wheel as on GGGT's Go-Cart) where it will be very easy to attach this bag to it and pull the cart. Sometimes one feels attaching the bag on the cart and pull it or carry on the shoulders, depending on course, weather, tournament or practice rounds, etc...

Something like this foldable/portable hand cart, but just replace with bigger wheels like on on Go-Cart. Here is the link: Magna Cart Personal Hand Truck

Click on other view and see how it folds down to a compact size for transport.

I actually have that cart. Yeah it could work. May be difficult to pull over rough terrian with small wheels. I can try that someday. I can try to modify that cart to use slightly bigger wheels.

Can one show the pix of Challenge bag with umbrella tucked in? I am not sure how one can put umbrella in given the pictures I seen here.

Latest posts