• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick My Putter

Pick My Putter

• Total voters

cfair

* Ace Member *
Howdy ya'll. Figure I will let ya'll pick my putter for when I start practicing again. Your choices are the Challenger, ION, Warlock, and Wizard. Discs are listed in order of what I would call my preference.

Challenger - I like this one a lot, I have a stack of them and would happily stick with the mold.

ION - Since the changes I have really wanted to give the ION another run. It sounds so much more appealing now. My only apprehension is the putting aspect of it, but I think I can learn.

Warlock - picked up a few of these because they start out kinda stable but beat into pretty straight and neutral. I have some that I like already and could probably get some more.

Wizard - solid disc but I don't like having to search for "good ones". The only reason I am okay with this for warlocks is that I already have some.

If you watched me putt you would think I am a push putter. But I am a spin putter. The Ion is the only one that you could call a spin putt necessary disc. The other 3 work well on both styles.

where are the aviars? lol :) .. i would say stick with the challenger brotha .. others are all great putters tho.. only ION i have felt was a M and it was stiff/slick i didnt really like it

I would vote "none of the above" if it had been made an option. I use a Vibram VP. It is a great disc in a cross wind or head wind. They are solid approach discs as well.

If I was voting based on my personal preference I'd say Ion but Ions tend to be a love it or hate disc.
I would say stick with the challenger because
a. You already like it and that's probably the most important factor in a putter.
b. You already have a stack of practice putters.
With very few exceptions any putter can be great, its all about which one feels good to you, this translates into confidence.

What do we get if you select the one you end up using? There is a prize involved, right?

which ever one feels best and you are most confident with. this is basically the last thing i'd ask someone to pick for me, as i see putter selection as a much more personal thing than say, a bag, a basket, or a new driver to try out

Howdy ya'll. Figure I will let ya'll pick my putter for when I start practicing again. Your choices are the Challenger, ION, Warlock, and Wizard. Discs are listed in order of what I would call my preference.

Challenger - I like this one a lot, I have a stack of them and would happily stick with the mold.

ION - Since the changes I have really wanted to give the ION another run. It sounds so much more appealing now. My only apprehension is the putting aspect of it, but I think I can learn.

Warlock - picked up a few of these because they start out kinda stable but beat into pretty straight and neutral. I have some that I like already and could probably get some more.

Wizard - solid disc but I don't like having to search for "good ones". The only reason I am okay with this for warlocks is that I already have some.

Out of those, I would choose the R-Pro Dart

I'm a fan of neutral putters. The Magnet, and Magic are both money (I think that is the first time in my life that I have used the word money in this context)

I voted the Ion. Try the soft one, I think you'll like it considering your putting style.

I'm voting for Challenger, but find some place that carries them, and feel them. You want the grippy Pro-D Challengers for putting. They're less overstable, and can be turned over pretty easily on a drive. Then pick up a couple of the harder ones for drives > 200'. I'm currently down to 5 (I always have extras in the bag, and I seem to keep running into people that are learning, and not carrying a putter), but they're an awesome putter.

whichever feels best in your hand and gives you a clean consistent release...I started with the challenger, its a great disc. I personally like the warlock/aviar mold. They are basically the same disc, different plastics. If your liking the challenger stick with it. In my experience, I haven't seen anyone who was consistently good at putting with the ION, good upshot or driver disc.

Even with the 'rubber' overmold, the Ion is still putting w/ premium plastic, which I just can't get fully on board with. I putted with Ions for a while and just felt like on the borderline putts, ie not perfect center of chains putts, I was getting a lot more to stick with my challengers and jk pros (at the time). I still carry two ions for upshots and tee shots, but I gotta putt w/ more traditional plastic.

I'm voting for Challenger, but find some place that carries them, and feel them. You want the grippy Pro-D Challengers for putting. They're less overstable, and can be turned over pretty easily on a drive. Then pick up a couple of the harder ones for drives > 200'. I'm currently down to 5 (I always have extras in the bag, and I seem to keep running into people that are learning, and not carrying a putter), but they're an awesome putter.

ding ding ding!!!

I voted for the Challenger b/c it's a little more shallow than the Ion, seems to give me a cleaner release.

If you watched me putt you would think I am a push putter. But I am a spin putter. The Ion is the only one that you could call a spin putt necessary disc. The other 3 work well on both styles.

Why is the ion a spin put necessary disc? I use them with push putts and I am curious why I shouldn't.

Wizards!!!!! Most of the runs are great, but every mold has one or two Easter egg ones. I have felt very few "bad" wizards.

I used to use Wizards, but I switched to ions and I haven't had any problems. I would recommend the softs. I feel more confident than with the ion than with any other disc in my bag.

Latest posts