• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick My Putter

Pick My Putter

• Total voters
Howdy ya'll. Figure I will let ya'll pick my putter for when I start practicing again. Your choices are the Challenger, ION, Warlock, and Wizard. Discs are listed in order of what I would call my preference.

Challenger - I like this one a lot, I have a stack of them and would happily stick with the mold.

ION - Since the changes I have really wanted to give the ION another run. It sounds so much more appealing now. My only apprehension is the putting aspect of it, but I think I can learn.

Warlock - picked up a few of these because they start out kinda stable but beat into pretty straight and neutral. I have some that I like already and could probably get some more.

Wizard - solid disc but I don't like having to search for "good ones". The only reason I am okay with this for warlocks is that I already have some.

I think you've pretty much answered you're own query...

no I haven't Russel, no I have not. Warlock is pretty awesome and I wouldn't mind letting it take over the Challenger. Then the Ion made changes that I wanted to see and I will be giving it another try.

I would say Challengers since you seem most comfortable with them, assuming they putt and drive as well as you'd like. Is there anything you dislike about them or are you just curious to try out other discs?

I can send you some newer Ions to test out if you'd like.

Challenger - I like this one a lot, I have a stack of them and would happily stick with the mold.

I was bad, and didn't even read the OP before I posted.

One question. Have you tried a Magnet? I actually carry both (if I throw a bad putt with one, I'll switch. It's a psychological thing), and I consistently out-drive my Challengers with my Magnets. If you drive with putters at all, I would recommend giving one a shot. Great disc.

I would say Challengers since you seem most comfortable with them, assuming they putt and drive as well as you'd like. Is there anything you dislike about them or are you just curious to try out other discs?

I can send you some newer Ions to test out if you'd like.

I will PM you about trying out the new Ions. The challengers putt great, drive and approach okay but I guess I'm kind of a non-committal kind of guy. Warlocks drive and approach pretty awesome. I just want to see.

In my experience, I haven't seen anyone who was consistently good at putting with the ION, good upshot or driver disc.

You must not get out much then ;) I do ok with them and I know other players in my area that do well with them too.

After reading every post in this thread i would still have to go with the small bead AVIAR! Superior disc IMO. I have tried them all, wizard warlock challenger magic voodoo jk kc ion, and the small bead aviar(for putts) is much more solid of a putter. But then again i wont be putting for you, so i am going to say you should putt with what ever the hell you want to. Or just take them all to the park or if you have a basket at home, and putt 100 putts with each mold, and see which one you are more accurate with, and which one feel best in your hand as pertains to release.

I will PM you about trying out the new Ions. The challengers putt great, drive and approach okay but I guess I'm kind of a non-committal kind of guy. Warlocks drive and approach pretty awesome. I just want to see.

I voted Warlock b/c according to you, they "drive and approach pretty awesome." I'm sure that thanks to Gateway's "awesome" quality control, you'll find a Warlock that's just right for putting. (I liked the stiff SS personally)

Wizard ftw. SSS grabs chains from anywhere in the basket. i have had plenty am side putts pulled in by the chains. if it was with an ion? no way.

I've tried challengers, magnets, wizards, magics, warlocks, ridges, soles, ions and I'm currently loving KC pro Aviars. Of the ones you've listed I used the wizard the longest (1 1/2 years). The only reason I changed was because they seemed to drop a little faster when I was push putting and I was having a hard time finding 2 that were the same. It's easier to find runs of the KC aviars that I like (11x and the 12x San marinos which are similar to the 11x) vs. finding a wizard that I like. I also like driving with the KC better for durability and a grip like my Rocs.

I've tried challengers, magnets, wizards, magics, warlocks, ridges, soles, ions and I'm currently loving KC pro Aviars.

After reading every post in this thread i would still have to go with the small bead AVIAR!

No Aviars. Just not for me, KC Pros are cool, I had a brief love affair with one... but it has since been improved upon.

Wizard ftw. SSS grabs chains from anywhere in the basket. i have had plenty am side putts pulled in by the chains. if it was with an ion? no way.

For what it is worth I have some picky putter preferences and one of them is it has to be firm. Stiffer than Vibram's Firm's, stiff as a KC Aviar at least, but not as stiff as Gateway's freaky hard porcelain discs. So on Blake's 1-10 range I like mine around 8. Grippy or slick doesn't matter.

I voted Warlock b/c according to you, they "drive and approach pretty awesome." I'm sure that thanks to Gateway's "awesome" quality control, you'll find a Warlock that's just right for putting. (I liked the stiff SS personally)

My biggest drawback for gateway is I despise having to fondle every disc and never knowing what I am getting into online.

My biggest drawback for gateway is I despise having to fondle every disc and never knowing what I am getting into online.

If you're worried about Gateway, why not email Dave directly? When I was taking advantage of his Facebook deal, I emailed him a few times and always got what I wanted (four orders). Too bad they're all too soft for me now that I finally accepted I putt better with harder plastic.

Too bad you prefer Warlocks. The medium Wizards dehaas is selling right now are probably closer to a 10 than you'd like, but they grab the chains better than any of my softies and are plenty stable. After a few months of solid use they'd probably be right where you want them.

For what it is worth I have some picky putter preferences and one of them is it has to be firm. Stiffer than Vibram's Firm's, stiff as a KC Aviar at least, but not as stiff as Gateway's freaky hard porcelain discs. So on Blake's 1-10 range I like mine around 8. Grippy or slick doesn't matter.

If that's the case I should probably just send you medium Ion(s). They are more like KC Aviar stiffness while a soft is closer to an SS Wizard or in between an R-Pro Aviar and DX Aviar. Not R-Pro floppy but it's got some flex.

Vibrams new Super Firm formula feels like stiff KC to me.
You seem intrigued by the VP, there are some Super Firms floating around on Feebay, you might want to try one out.