• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning my Summer '09 Roadtrip - Need guidance

In the Richmond VA area, I would definately echo Gottafixit. Hit New Quarter in Williamsburg (and Newport News is just down the road), Bryan in Richmond and Walnut Creek in Charlottesville at the least, and definately make some time for the Grange in Spottslyvania, VA. Let us know when you're in the area. I am sure some of us could come out and throw a round or two with you!

That'd be great. I'll make sure to stay in touch. The corporate HQ for the company I work for is actually in Newport News. I've been out there 3 or 4 times... it's a beautiful area.

This is a rather long drive, so I think you can hit more than 4 courses. Here's my recommendations, from Richmond, Va to Harrisburg, Pa, along the I95, US15 to I81 corridors:

The Grange - 2 18 hole courses
Loriella
Giles Run - 2 tees and 2 pins per hole
Seneca Creek - 27 holes
Codurus - 2 18 hole courses, plus 2 9 hole courses
Boulder Woods and Quaker Challenge at Pinchot State Park - 2 18 hole courses

The reason I'm trying to stick to four courses per day is that's how many I was able to play on the biggest days of last summer's road trip. That trip was 4500ish miles compared to the 2200ish miles I'll be traveling in '09, though, so maybe I'll have more energy and time to get in an extra course or two. I'll definitely take all of your recommendations into consideration.

I did some course evaluating for the Virginia leg of my trip. Took a look at 35 courses within 100 miles of Richmond and came up with the following list of 10 good looking courses for my two days there. Any of you guys have any comments/recomendations for these courses?

Name Rating Holes Miles-Away
The Grange - Darkside 5 18 42.9
Bryan Park 4 18 0
The Grange - Sunnyside 4 18 42.9
New Quarter Park 4 18 46.7
Loriella Park 4 18 46.8
Walnut Creek Park 4 18 65.4
Gillies Creek Park 3 18 3.4
Dorey Park 3 18 12.5
Goyne Park 3 18 18.9
Newport News DGC 3 18 60.5

Courses that almost made the cut, but not quite:

Giles Run @ Laurel Hill Park 3.5 18 75.7 ticks, thorns
Calvert Road Park 3.5 18 99.9 too far
Pharaoh's Tomb 3 18 22.6 objects

the grange is fantastic - we went thru there on a trip earlier this year - private course with two excellent 18 hole courses + a really cool mini golf course (18 baskets, measured in inches)

Never been to the Grange, but only heard great things about it. Of the ones you listed, New Quarter is amazing and a must play. Bryan Park would be my second don't miss park of the ones I've played. Dorey would be next and then Goyne and Pharoah's Tomb. The only reason Goyne would be above the Tomb is the Basket VS. Object thinking. Pharoah's Tomb is a better setting but is an object course, Goyne has baskets but otherwise has nothing over The Tomb.

1) New Qtr
2) Bryan Park
3) Dorey Park
4 & 5) Pharoah's Tomb & Goyne depending on your preference for Object or Baskets.

DG Around Richmond

I did some course evaluating for the Virginia leg of my trip. Took a look at 35 courses within 100 miles of Richmond and came up with the following list of 10 good looking courses for my two days there. Any of you guys have any comments/recomendations for these courses?

Bryan Park 4 18 0
Loriella Park 4 18 46.8
Dorey Park 3 18 12.5
Goyne Park 3 18 18.9

I've played (and reviewed) all the courses that made your cut except The Grange. Walnut Creek is definitely my favorite, and New Quarter is very close. Both are beautiful courses with lots of variety, challenge, and interesting holes. #17 at Walnut Creek is one of the very best holes I've ever played, but the whole course is a blast.

Bryan Park and Loriella are just a step below those two, IMHO, and are excellent courses. Bryan Park is all nice and manicured whereas Loriella's strengths are more of variety and challenge, though Bryan is plenty long. Unlike the first two, these two are both very close (in Bryan's case right on) I-95.

If you do go to New Quarter, is definitely worth doubling up with Newport News. Less remarkable than New Quarter and pretty straightforward, but still varied and very, very well cared for.

Finally, with my local bias, I love Gillies, Dorey, and Goyne too; Gillies is varied and looking good these days and has the only concrete tees in Richmond, Dorey is a fun but relatively easy woods course that's nice and serene, and Goyne I'm still getting to know but like it more each time I play out there. Objectively speaking though, these three are less worthy of your time than Walnut Creek, New Quarter, Bryan Park, and Loriella.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
While in triad area of NC (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) try Johnson Street DGP, an intermediate course with a tight, mostly wooded layout.
An easier course would be Horizons Park (if your wife is along) its a well maintained course with several chances for a duece.

nice list

Bryan Park 4 18 0
Loriella Park 4 18 46.8
Dorey Park 3 18 12.5
Goyne Park 3 18 18.9

First off thanks to NY for the mad props to the tomb. My thoughts, The grange, NQ/NN, walnut creek, and bryan no questions. Loriella is nice but if you plan is to drive out that way giles run is better granted you keep it in the fairway. and literally like a mile off 95. Gillies creek is a very crowded course so given the season that could be a big annoyance(many holes are so close you can't throw while someone is on the one next to you or tee off from another five holes later). Dorey is short or long but a great woods course, would recommend for sure. goyne is an ok course but i think it lacks variety(very open), so to second NY and because it is my course i would recommend the tomb, sure it's just baskets at the moment but it kicks the crap out of goyne and there is talk of 9 baskets and i would love to see them go in before summer hits. so ya just thoughts to help any choices that may have been on the line.

Just thought of this, if you planned on heading out 64, the course in staunton is right at 64 and 81 and is real nice. again just thoughts.

Last edited:

Bryan Park 4 18 0
Loriella Park 4 18 46.8
Dorey Park 3 18 12.5
Goyne Park 3 18 18.9

I've played (and reviewed) all the courses that made your cut except The Grange. Walnut Creek is definitely my favorite, and New Quarter is very close. Both are beautiful courses with lots of variety, challenge, and interesting holes. #17 at Walnut Creek is one of the very best holes I've ever played, but the whole course is a blast.

Bryan Park and Loriella are just a step below those two, IMHO, and are excellent courses. Bryan Park is all nice and manicured whereas Loriella's strengths are more of variety and challenge, though Bryan is plenty long. Unlike the first two, these two are both very close (in Bryan's case right on) I-95.

If you do go to New Quarter, is definitely worth doubling up with Newport News. Less remarkable than New Quarter and pretty straightforward, but still varied and very, very well cared for.

Finally, with my local bias, I love Gillies, Dorey, and Goyne too; Gillies is varied and looking good these days and has the only concrete tees in Richmond, Dorey is a fun but relatively easy woods course that's nice and serene, and Goyne I'm still getting to know but like it more each time I play out there. Objectively speaking though, these three are less worthy of your time than Walnut Creek, New Quarter, Bryan Park, and Loriella.

Enjoy!

Listen to Jaymon. He knows his stuff. I concur. I've played (and done my own review) all of those except Bryan and Goyne. Here's my take:

• Walnut Creek is my favorite. May be the best in VA. A great course. Don't miss it!
  • You might be able to play Hawk Hollow (Private) in Spotsylvania if you can track down John Biscoe. A very good course it if you can do it.
  • New Quarter is really good. Probably out of your way, but worth it.
  • All added together the Grange is the most amazing private complex you can imagine. Saves drive time by getting in 3 courses in one place. Don't forget the fun and creative Tiki course. Love the ace runs!
  • Newport News is OK. Totally flat.
  • You could skip Gillies.
  • If you can squeeze in Seneca in Gaithersburg MD, by all means do so.

Bryan Park 4 18 0
Loriella Park 4 18 46.8
Dorey Park 3 18 12.5
Goyne Park 3 18 18.9

I'll add my two cents since I've played most of these.

Day 1
My favorite Richmond course is Bryan. From what I remember of Dorey and Gilles Creek, they were shorter, more technical courses. Goyne is ok too. You could easily play all these courses in a day.

Walnut Creek is very good. Keep in mind it's a hour, hour and half away from downtown Richmond, plus, if I'm not mistaken, there is an entrance fee. Hole 17 alone is worth it though!

Day 2
Play the Grange, 2 course on the same site. Loriella is close by as is the private Hawk Hollow. Like some one else mentioned, 4 courses near each other is very convenient. Depending on where you spend the night, you may be able to hit Giles Run just south of DC.

Hope this helps, have fun planning.

Yeah, Tyler is a must play just because it's on the front page. I'll make sure to hit Tinicum too. Nockamixon looks pretty wild... I'll wait for your review on that one before I go out of my way.

Hey Greg,
Know this is quite a while later, but it still isnt Sumer yet so Im good ;)
I finally got up to Nockamixon today and also played Unami DGC near Nocky. I reviewed the courses so be sure to check them out.
I have to say, after playing them today, if you are going to play Tinicum or Tyler State park you must go play Nockamixon ... the course is tough as nails but worth it. you also might consider Unami which is a great 9 holer about 15-20 min away from Nocky. If you've got any questions just give a shout out and Ill try to help out. :)

Thanks Frank. Nockamixon sounds real tough; I'll have to be feeling pretty good about myself before I take the trip out there. I hadn't planned on considering 9 holers but Unami sounds like a blast, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I get up there and find out if you've got an afternoon free to go throw.

Thanks Frank. Nockamixon sounds real tough; I'll have to be feeling pretty good about myself before I take the trip out there. I hadn't planned on considering 9 holers but Unami sounds like a blast, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I get up there and find out if you've got an afternoon free to go throw.

Sounds good ... although if you are going to play Unami, consider giving Nocky a shot even though its tough ... its worth it.

If your road trip has you coming through NC on I-95, I suggest you give serious thought to spending a day in Rocky Mount, NC.

We have four local courses and they are all pretty sweet. One's just a nice little pitch 'n putt (Englewood Park). Two are beautiful courses that are built on what used to be suburban lawns before they were flooded out in 1999 and turned into parkland (Farmington and Sunset Parks). The fourth course (Rocky Mount Sports Complex) is a nice course now and by this summer should be whipped into shape as a great, challenging course.

Yeah... I'm local here, but this is not just homeboy bias. The Farmington and Sunset courses are as nice as any you'll find anywhere. The Sports Complex still needs some work, and a couple holes are kind of plain, but it's a fun challenge overall and should be a gem when it's cleaned up a little more and we get some decent pads installed. If you add Rocky Mount to your plans, you will not be disappointed.

521 District Park (you may hear it called Elon Park by locals), Dorton Park and Mint Hill are great for new players. Kilborne, Reedy Creek and Sugaw Creek are all good choices for intermediates. Try Hornet's Nest if you want a challenge for intermediate skills.

Thanks in part to all of your suggestions and advice, I've finished my itinerary for my roadtrip this summer. Here's what it looks like.

7/1/2009 WED
Leave GR 11:00 AM
James A. Dillon 3:30 PM
George Washington 5:30 PM
Hotel - Indy

7/2/2009 THU
Leave Hotel 5:00 AM
Charlie Vettiner 7:30 AM
Freeman Lake 10:00 AM
Kereiakes Park 1:00 PM
Lover's Lane 3:30 PM
Franklin-Simpson 5:30 PM
Hotel - Nashville, TN

7/3/2009 FRI
Hotel 7:00 AM
Cedar Hill 7:30 AM
Seven Oaks 9:30 AM
Brahan Springs 1:30 PM
Cloudland Canyon 5:30 PM
Hotel - Chatanooga, TN

7/4/2009 SAT
Leave Hotel 7:00 AM
The Sinks 7:30 AM
Meeks Park 12:00 PM
Stephens County 3:30 PM
Foothills 6:30 PM
Hotel - Greenville, SC

7/5/2009 SUN

Timmons Park 7:30 AM
Richmond Hill 11:00 AM
Glenn Hilton 2:00 PM
Renaissance Park 4:30 PM
Hotel - Charlotte, NC

7/6/2009 MON

Hotel 6:00 AM
Zebulon 9:00 AM
Richmond 1:00 PM (family stuff)

7/7/2009 TUE
Leave Richmond 6:00 AM
The Grange Sunny 7:30 AM
The Grange Dark 9:00 AM
Greene Co. 12:00 PM
Walnut Creek 2:30 PM
Bryan Park 5:30 PM
Arrive Richmond

7/8/2009 WED
Leave Richmond 5:00 AM
Sherando Park 7:30 AM
The Woodshed 10:30 AM
Whippin' Post 1:00 PM
Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM

7/9/2009 THU
Deer Lakes 7:30 AM
Knob Hill 10:00 AM
Moraine 12:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 6:00 PM

7/10/2009 FRI
Leave Nescopeck, PA 6:00 AM
Jordan Creek 7:30 AM
Little Lehigh Pkwy 9:30 AM
Tinicum Park 12:00 PM
Tyler State Park 2:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 7:00 PM

7/11/2009 SAT
NYC with the wife

7/12/2009 SUN
Leave Nescopeck, PA 5:00 AM
Brakewell 7:30 AM
Prompton 11:30 AM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 3:00 PM

7/13/2009 MON
Leave Nescopeck, PA 7:00 AM
Hudson Springs 12:00 PM
Arrive home 6:00 PM
---

That's 38 courses including 16 that appeared in 2008's Top 50.

My trip was a day shorter than I had originally planned, so I had to cut a day out of my time in Richmond, VA. I'll still get to visit a lot of the top courses in the area, but I won't be able to go everywhere I wanted to.

I know I could knock off a couple of courses in Ohio somewhere in there, but I plan on hitting up Idlewild and the other great Cinci area courses on a separate long weekend trip.

Last edited:
sounds like a great trip.

Good to see you playing Renaissance park in Charlotte. This one is one of my all time favorites (top 5 material)

7/3/2009 FRI
Cedar Hill 7:30 AM
Seven Oaks 9:30 AM
Brahan Springs 1:30 PM
Cloudland Canyon 5:30 PM
Hotel - Chatanooga, TN

This is where your missing out on some good courses that are already in the Huntsville area, like UAH and Redstone Arsenal. Why drive 2 or 3 hours away from an area that offers other good courses?? Hey it's your trip.

7/4/2009 SAT
Leave Hotel 7:00 AM
The Sinks 7:30 AM
Meeks Park 12:00 PM
Stephens County 3:30 PM
Foothills 6:30 PM
Hotel - Greenville, SC

7/5/2009 SUN

Timmons Park 7:30 AM
Richmond Hill 11:00 AM
Glenn Hilton 2:00 PM
Renaissance Park 4:30 PM
Hotel - Charlotte, NC

7/6/2009 MON

Hotel 6:00 AM
Zebulon 9:00 AM
Richmond 1:00 PM (family stuff)

7/7/2009 TUE
Leave Richmond 6:00 AM
The Grange Sunny 7:30 AM
The Grange Dark 9:00 AM
Greene Co. 12:00 PM
Walnut Creek 2:30 PM
Bryan Park 5:30 PM
Arrive Richmond

7/8/2009 WED
Leave Richmond 5:00 AM
Sherando Park 7:30 AM
The Woodshed 10:30 AM
Whippin' Post 1:00 PM
Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM (if your staying in Morgantown, I'd highly recomend playing the course in Clarksburg and Fairmont (Seth Burton Memorial, this is a hidden gem)

7/9/2009 THU
Deer Lakes 7:30 AM
Knob Hill 10:00 AM
Moraine 12:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 6:00 PM

7/10/2009 FRI
Leave Nescopeck, PA 6:00 AM
Jordan Creek 7:30 AM
Little Lehigh Pkwy 9:30 AM
Tinicum Park 12:00 PM
Tyler State Park 2:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 7:00 PM

7/11/2009 SAT
NYC with the wife

7/12/2009 SUN
Leave Nescopeck, PA 5:00 AM
Brakewell 7:30 AM
Prompton 11:30 AM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 3:00 PM (there's a sweet course in West Milford, NJ. called buzzy's point or something that I would recomend as it's real close to Brakewell.)

7/13/2009 MON
Leave Nescopeck, PA 7:00 AM
Hudson Springs 12:00 PM (I'd skip hudson springs, personally. unless your driving on the turnpike and that's the road you want to stay close to). But Euclid's Sim's park is sweet and if your hungry I would recomend stopping at Scotti's Italian Eatery (882 e 185th st in cleveland) Great food, and they sell discs. Or Medina Roscoe Ewing (Ohio's first DG course)
Arrive home 6:00 PM

have fun and watch your speed. some of those places you mentioned have highly patrolled areas.

Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM (if your staying in Morgantown, I'd highly recomend playing the course in Clarksburg and Fairmont (Seth Burton Memorial, this is a hidden gem)

I'm staying in Morgantown simply because it's the biggest town between Whippin Post and Western PA. I'd like to fit in the two courses there but I just won't have the time considering I've got to play three courses and drive all the way across PA the next day.

(there's a sweet course in West Milford, NJ. called buzzy's point or something that I would recomend as it's real close to Brakewell.)

The Brakewell day is kind of up in the air at the moment. I really want to play it on this trip, but it might make more sense to have a day of rest before we drive back to Michigan on Monday... especially when you consider I'll need to be at work at 6am Tuesday.

(I'd skip hudson springs, personally. unless your driving on the turnpike and that's the road you want to stay close to).

You nailed it. Hudson Springs doesn't look like anything special, but it's exactly the halfway point between our starting point and our destination that day.

Is the Brahan Springs stop just to add Alabama to the list of "played states"? If so, I say go for it. If not, I would definitely look at Sharp Springs in Smyrna, TN. It is off of I-24, the way from Nashville to Chattanooga. It would save a lot of drive time and is right up there with Cedar Hill as best in the Nashville area. We play all over the place, but I guess Sharp Springs is technically my home course.

Like I said, if you want to play in Alabama to add it to the list, more power to you. But playing Sharp Springs would give you another top-50 course I think and reduce your drive time significantly.

Have a safe trip...and bring a lot of Icy-Hot because that is a lot of throwing!

Greg, that trip looks badass. Wish I could join you. I'm planning a somewhat less intensive one in June.