• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning my Summer '09 Roadtrip - Need guidance

Greg, that trip looks badass. Wish I could join you. I'm planning a somewhat less intensive one in June.

Where are you heading on your trip?

I'm driving back home to Kansas for Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably hit up Rosedale Top & Bottom in KC and Blackhawk/Dovillio in Tulsa.

Have you played Carey over by Hutch? Love that course.

Last edited:
white bank

I did some course evaluating for the Virginia leg of my trip.

Courses that almost made the cut, but not quite:

Giles Run @ Laurel Hill Park 3.5 18 75.7 ticks, thorns
Calvert Road Park 3.5 18 99.9 too far
Pharaoh's Tomb 3 18 22.6 objects

Pharaoh's tomb has 9 baskets now and with the new hole arrangement to go with that its got somethings going for it, still won't likely make the cut but, thought it would update.

Pharaoh's tomb has 9 baskets now and with the new hole arrangement to go with that its got somethings going for it, still won't likely make the cut but, thought it would update.

Yeah, I feel bad for cutting out most of the Richmond courses and eastern VA, but I basically had a make a decision between Whippin Post/Woodshed and a second VA day. :(

Bryan is the best overall course in Richmond, right?

7/7/2009 TUE
Leave Richmond 6:00 AM
The Grange Sunny 7:30 AM
The Grange Dark 9:00 AM
Greene Co. 12:00 PM
Walnut Creek 2:30 PM
Bryan Park 5:30 PM
Arrive Richmond

7/8/2009 WED
Leave Richmond 5:00 AM
Sherando Park 7:30 AM
The Woodshed 10:30 AM
Whippin' Post 1:00 PM
Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM

Out of these two day just imo but greene county was a little out of the way and time wise might take longer then you think to get there, lorriea in spots is a good alt, or if you can get permission to play hawk hollow that would be best, as for richmond it depends on you prefernce in courses, but bryan is by far the overall fav of richmond(the tomb might be putting a dent in that now that it has baskets). As for the next day whippin post is likely a great choice i'm going out there soon hopefully, but depending on the way you head out i would swap sherando for either giles run on 95 or signal view up at 81 and 66 basically, great triple tee, and can be played twice easy but still a challenge. Sherando, i think overall lacked, and has been super windy the couple times i've played it. so imo. happy driving.

i agree with gottafixit that you could just as easily play loriella and hawk hollow in spotsy and skip greene and walnut and save some driving. also don't skip tiki at the grange- totally unique and won't take much time at all.

i'd call walnut top 5 in virginia (it's olorin's favorite), loriella top 10, and hawk hollow numero uno. greene is not as good as the other 3. contact me for hawk hollow permission/info.

on the following day i would stick with sherando- it's slightly less out of the way than signal view and won't eat up as much time as giles would (although giles is likely the best of the 3 courses)- you are going to have plenty of walking/throwing in paw paw anyway.

in richmond i actually think dorey long may be the best course but it is not centrally located and nowhere near as popular as bryan- bryan is open and long in a traditional park settting (large trees, hills, ponds), dorey is less long but virtually all wooded. coin flip depending on your own likes/dislikes. i am going to hit pharoah's tomb next time i'm down there but have not played it yet.

btw gottafixit- i have a decent photo of you teeing on hole 10 at hawk hollow. contact me here with email info and i'll send it to you.

Where are you heading on your trip?
If everything goes according to plan...

6/7-6/8 Sat-Sun: Play a two day B-tier in Wichita and drive to suburban KC after the tournament.
6/9 Monday: Hopefully play the new Black Hoof Park course in Lenexa if its been installed, and maybe another course that's close by (Prairie Center or Swope) if I have time. Drive to Columbia, MO that night.
6/10 Tuesday:play at least two of the Columbia courses, drive sort of Northeasterly up into SE Iowa (Burlington, Ft. Madison, Keokuk area) to spend night, exact location unknown.
6/11 Wednesday: play courses in that area, take US-61 up towards Quad Cities, lots of courses to hit there.
6/12 Thursday: Stay in Quad cities area again
6/13 Friday : Drive west toward Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. Possibly get in some practice for....
6/14 6/15 Sat-Sun: Play twin C-tiers at Coralville Lake just outside IC. Drive to Des Moines after Sunday tournament.
6/16 Monday:Hit a couple of the Des Moines area courses, likely Grandview and Walnut Ridge, and possibly one in Atlantic, IA on the way to my parent's house in SE Nebraska.
6/17 Tuesday: Maybe get in a round with my old man in Beatrice, NE if we have time and my arm isn't jello by then.
6/18 Wednesday: Drive home.

Wow, I just looked at your profile and you live in Hutch... so I'm guessing you've played Carey. :eek:
Oh, once or twice. :)

i'd call walnut top 5 in virginia (it's olorin's favorite), loriella top 10, and hawk hollow numero uno. greene is not as good as the other 3. contact me for hawk hollow permission/info.

I'll certainly consider Hawk Hollow, but please help me understand something. If this is indeed the best course in Virginia, why on earth is it not listed on this website? I understand that it's private but couldn't you mark it as being private and put the contact information on the page? That way the owner could still control who plays and you'd have the added benefit of having folks review it here. I hope I haven't stepped on your toes, but I'm genuinely curious.

I can't imagine if Flip City were unlisted and only playable to those who knew the secret handshake. The very idea makes me sad.

Sorry to see that you are cutting out much of VA (second day), but let me know when you are around the 6/7 of May. I'm off and could join you for some rounds in Walnut, Bryan, Grange etc. I've always heard nothing but good stuff about Biscoe and Hawk.

Whippin Post/Woodshed look like great courses and I definately want to hit them up myself so I can understand that.

Last edited:
Sorry to see that you are cutting out much of VA (second day), but let me know when you are around the 6/7 of May. I'm off and could join you for some rounds in Walnut, Bryan, Grange etc. I've always heard nothing but good stuff about Biscoe and Hawk.

PM on the way. :)

What day and where will you be in PA? I am going up to Bucks County (NE of philly) the second week in July, and have been given permission for a day of
DG with my bro-in-law. Having played Tyler already (must play by the way), I wanted to go play some others close: Anson Nixon, Brandywine, and Bellevue in North Delaware are the ones I'm thinking about. Maybe we could get together and play. If you don't want those, I'm up for whatever.

What day and where will you be in PA? I am going up to Bucks County (NE of philly) the second week in July, and have been given permission for a day of
DG with my bro-in-law. Having played Tyler already (must play by the way), I wanted to go play some others close: Anson Nixon, Brandywine, and Bellevue in North Delaware are the ones I'm thinking about. Maybe we could get together and play. If you don't want those, I'm up for whatever.

I don't see myself getting all the way to Delaware. I'll probably stick to eastern PA one day and then hit up Brakewell another day.

Alot of people will tell you that Charlotte is the mecca of disc golf, but as an intermediate, I would much rather spend my time in the triangle instead.
Burlington-CedarRock/Wellspring
Chapel Hill-UNC DGC
Raleigh-Buckhorn
Durham-Valley Springs

These are the ones to hit in the Triangle. All but Buckhorn are close to 85. Valley Springs being the closest.

After I read through the thread more, I did see you were going to play Tinicium and Tyler on the 10th, maybe I can make that my DG day and head down to Delaware afterward. I'll let you know after I talk it over with my wife and bro-in-law.

I'll certainly consider Hawk Hollow, but please help me understand something. If this is indeed the best course in Virginia, why on earth is it not listed on this website? I understand that it's private but couldn't you mark it as being private and put the contact information on the page? That way the owner could still control who plays and you'd have the added benefit of having folks review it here. I hope I haven't stepped on your toes, but I'm genuinely curious.

I can't imagine if Flip City were unlisted and only playable to those who knew the secret handshake. The very idea makes me sad.

the main reason i have not listed it anywhere is that we have livestock on the property and i do want to control the amount of play with an "iron fist". while it is nice to have disc golf there, the cattle are the priority. that being said i virtually never tell anyone they can't play there at any time as long as there is no particular issue at that given time (struggles with bridges washing out, cattle with small calves being less dg friendly, etc). i have considered listing it on this site and very well may actually do so but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't see myself getting all the way to Delaware. I'll probably stick to eastern PA one day and then hit up Brakewell another day.

If it works out we can have a DGCR outing at Tyler!! I was already hoping to meet up with Greg and if you do come Sweller that would be pretty awesome ... :cool:

Latest posts