• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play my rating or move up?

Well, to be honest people can call me a bagger if they want. From what I've read on the rating system, it seems pretty accurate and legit to me. So I'm probably gonna keep playing my rating. Once it goes above 900, then I'll move up. I just wanted to see what others would do in my situation.

Most people on this site are in the "Rec is for beginners" camp. I'm assuming Novice isn't offered in their areas of the country. It is in mine, and Rec is a VERY competitive division. I can't remember a local tourney where there were less than 12 Rec players. Usually takes 2 900+ rated rounds to win the division.

Most people on this site are in the "Rec is for beginners" camp. I'm assuming Novice isn't offered in their areas of the country. It is in mine, and Rec is a VERY competitive division. I can't remember a local tourney where there were less than 12 Rec players. Usually takes 2 900+ rated rounds to win the division.

Don't believe I have seen a Novice division yet in the tourneys I have done this year. Rec has been showing up more than it used too though.

The same thing is true at most of the tournaments around Chicago, especially in the IOS where rec and novice are often some of the largest divisions.

I think the problem isn't with people not moving up. I think the sport has changed, and as we grow the higher numbers are getting better. 10 years ago a 900 meant less than 900 means now. It could possibility be a 870 now. The way a rating system goes if you are a top person, you are the base. That is why the scores keep getting better but the ratings have never past 1050. It may be a fluke if it happens but the rating system will bring down that person.

So I think it may be time to reevaluate the chat we use to determine divisions. I am a rec play of 817. According to the chart I should be Novice. I have finished 2/3rd before in rec but they have been really close finishes. I think to keep everyone around their skill level we need to do two things. 1. Change the scale. 2. Keep track of non-member ratings.

1. Change the scale. I think something like this should be put in:

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-

You still will be able to move up if you like. However, the only challenging one were we accept a larger range would be advanced, and they have the age groups they could go into as well.

2. Keep track of non-members

Use the non-member fee to make them supporting members and give them ratings. If they are supporting members their scores are updated, they are attached to their PDGA number. What is the difference if the computer has to put in a few new scores. They aren't done by hand. They would still have to pay the $10 fee each time. This would help with the guy that plays one tournament a year, so it isn't worth him getting a pdga number and then playing rec to get all the "gift card money" when he finishes with over 15 down from 2nd place.

I think these two things will fix allot of problems we keep discussing.

Well, to be honest people can call me a bagger if they want. From what I've read on the rating system, it seems pretty accurate and legit to me. So I'm probably gonna keep playing my rating. Once it goes above 900, then I'll move up. I just wanted to see what others would do in my situation.

I was kidding with my 'bagger' comment :p

not to sound like a a-hole, but do you see your rating going up another 20 points after the update? Starting at 850 obviously gives you some room for improvement, but raising that 50 points is a pretty sizable increase in a short period of time.

one option is to say, if you are winning a lot, move up and challenge yourself

another option is to say, the pdga ratings truly reflect your ability so play your rating, and if the pdga ratings do not truly reflect your ability then maybe they should change there scale (kdencker beat me to it)

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-

i started at 864 rating, now im 848, i should technically be a novice, but i'm considering playing intermediate... dunno, i may just stay in rec until my rating moves me to intermediate

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-

I think you underestimate the competittiveness of intermediate versus advanced. I also typically see larger intermediate and advanced fields then rec, so all that would do is make one giant 900+ am pool, and 2-3 fractured up much smaller amateur pools.

I agree, a 900-969 MA1 field would be too huge, and unfair to the guys at the low end of the spectrum. In tournaments with a decent Advanced field, you will see some 1000 rated rounds. The MA2 players are going to top out around 950-960 usually. If they are shooting better than that, they probably aren't playing MA2.

I have seen that Int is normally be largest, but Advanced is normally just as large as rec. Atleast by me. However, most of the int in that group have less than a 900 rating. It would only be a handful of that would need to be bumped up.

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-

2. Keep track of non-members
1. are you kidding? you want the advance field to be 901-1000? thats huge and your going to lose a ton of members when they cant compete against the top of the ADV field. the current ratings breakdown is perfect. most of the problem lies in the TDs offering of the divisions and the communities willingness to accept the NOV division. many areas havent and still grasp on to the old ways (typical human behavior).
in the areas that take full advantage of all offered fields there is a huge participation rate from players of all caliber. it has actually cut down on the baggers and allowed people who arent the best to actually compete and win. and FYI the majority of competitive discers prolly would average out in the low 900s. so the overwhelming majority of players would be in one division and the other 3 would die. most people do not bag, most play a division or two higher than they should.
2. PDGA already is supposed to be doing this since 2009. Every non-member receives a nonPDGA member #. that way when they do become members it is easier to import their previous tournaments. this also helps for non-baggers. the IOS guys here have ratings records for everyone back several years.

The same thing is true at most of the tournaments around Chicago, especially in the IOS where rec and novice are often some of the largest divisions.

i think the IOS championed the Novice division for the entire PDGA. it is astounding sometimes how big that field is.

What I am saying is give them rating even if they aren't members. Because yes I can get a number and use it but if I never pay I never get a number and therefore it is pointless to have it.

What I am saying is give them rating even if they aren't members. Because yes I can get a number and use it but if I never pay I never get a number and therefore it is pointless to have it.

they already do. i just said that. since 2009. the are no longer refered to as non-members as well. they are now supporting members (the $10 fee is supporting). http://www.pdga.com/supporting
also, i would never expect an organzation to spend its man-hours and money to calculate numbers for non-members.

what? because i called them non-members and the pdga calls them supporting members? wow you really got me...dang im so embrassed. :rolleyes:

I was kidding with my 'bagger' comment :p

not to sound like a a-hole, but do you see your rating going up another 20 points after the update? Starting at 850 obviously gives you some room for improvement, but raising that 50 points is a pretty sizable increase in a short period of time.

It's all good!

RATINGS SChMATINGS.... the dude said he won rec by ten strokes!!! hes playing in the wrong division. ratings only reflect how you have done in the past not how your playing now, and if your that new to the game that your still playing rec theres a good chance your improving fast as beginers often do. you put to much stock in the ratings if your winning your division move up, i think you really are a bagger , and you want to win 10 discs in rec rather than challenge yourself and win 5 in int, IF winning really that important if it is to you than you kinda suck. thats not the spirit of the game. give me some good friendly competition over beating up some noobs who deserve a chance to win something in one of there first tourneys any day

Quite honestly, if you are playing in a division that you're rated for and keep winning...move up. It really shouldn't matter what your rated at if you feel that you can compete with better players. In my opinion, the game is designed to challenge yourself and not others. It's a single player game.

I'm pretty much saying that if you're playing Rec and are placing in the top 3 consistantly....try out Intermediate. You may not get the trophy or as much funny money but at least you're bettering yourself as a player. So it's up to you. Do you want the trophies and funny money or do you want to be a better player?

Quite honestly, if you are playing in a division that you're rated for and keep winning...move up. It really shouldn't matter what your rated at if you feel that you can compete with better players. In my opinion, the game is designed to challenge yourself and not others. It's a single player game.

I'm pretty much saying that if you're playing Rec and are placing in the top 3 consistantly....try out Intermediate. You may not get the trophy or as much funny money but at least you're bettering yourself as a player. So it's up to you. Do you want the trophies and funny money or do you want to be a better player?

^^^^^^^^^^
a nicer way of saying what i said, right on skunk