• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Point of Hyzer Flip

When you guys say "hyzer," how much of a hyzer starts feeling unnatural? Or is that anything past flat feels weird? Or is the whole change in body positioning that's different?

The reason I ask is I threw with steep hyzer for quite a while (mostly hyzer-flips). More recently I started developing a flatter (still a tiny bit of hyzer) throw, but it involved more than just a change in release angle.

Now, when I try to throw a steep hyzer, it feels weird...so I'm wondering if it's what y'all are experiencing...

For me, it isn't so much starting out hyzer that's the problem as staying hyzer through the follow-through. It's really easy to roll my wrist over. Throwing big spike hyzers do feel weird too though, if I haven't thrown any in a while.

Its about all been covered
but i love hyzer flips for turnover shots with a roadrunner, and there are a couple holes i throw a GL river hyzer flipped to help me hit the gap, and to have the fade leave me in the middle of the fairway or close to the basket.

Might I also add they're fantastic for late turning shots...yeah you might be able to squeeze an anhyzer [RHBH] between those trees, curving right the whole time without going too far right (not long enough). Or you could throw a lazer straight shot on a hyzerflip, it'll travel X amount of feet in a straight line until the disc exceeds the speed to which it'll flip over, and boom - reverse L shape.

For me, it isn't so much starting out hyzer that's the problem as staying hyzer through the follow-through. It's really easy to roll my wrist over. Throwing big spike hyzers do feel weird too though, if I haven't thrown any in a while.

Same for me..Probably about halfway through my pull my wrist wants to twist over. I have to focus to keep it from not doing so.

Might I also add they're fantastic for late turning shots...yeah you might be able to squeeze an anhyzer [RHBH] between those trees, curving right the whole time without going too far right (not long enough). Or you could throw a lazer straight shot on a hyzerflip, it'll travel X amount of feet in a straight line until the disc exceeds the speed to which it'll flip over, and boom - reverse L shape.

My point exactly. And the shot definitely has a "wow" factor to it. I enjoy the reaction it gets from my buddies.

It's all about the distance. I see it as less accurate than a flat throw, since occasionally, it never gets flat and hyzers off the whole way.

Easy to answer. When done properly it's the most beautiful shot you can throw. To see a disc go from hyzer to straight then get some turn before fading back again is just awesome to watch. Plus it goes a very long way and doesn't take up the room a big "s" does.

i throw all hyzer flips. for me its a lot easier to let the disc do the work for me. its easier for me to throw hyzers. never really got the hang of anhyzers, and it feels weird for me to release anny (RHBH). and if you throw hyzer flip shots, you can throw flippy discs on a hyzer,let it flip flat or to anny and do the work for you without having to muscle an overstable disc over on an anny to get distance. i feel hyzer flips are more consistent too. with anny's i think there is a lot more that can go wrong with the shot and you need more room to throw them.

It's all about the distance. I see it as less accurate than a flat throw, since occasionally, it never gets flat and hyzers off the whole way.

If it never gets flat then its not a hyzer flip. The problem isn't that the shot is inaccurate but rather that the person throwing isn't consistent.

i like to think of this shot as an extension of a discs normal lines. for instance the disc i hyzer flip the most is my pro leopard which is kinda flippy. if i just threw it flat it would go out a bit and then turn and never come back, sometimes that's what i want to happen but what if you want the disc to flip later in flight? that's where the hyzer flip comes in, it extends the point where a disc will go in to its normal flight pattern and depending on how much hyzer you give it you can get different shots out of it that flat it couldn't accomplish.

If it never gets flat then its not a hyzer flip. The problem isn't that the shot is inaccurate but rather that the person throwing isn't consistent.

+1.

Also, even on distance lines they're wonderful - they'll naturally climb higher and higher so you can throw them nose down with height more easily. Judging the apex of your distance line is easier IMO with a hyzerflip vs. stable anhyzers/flex shots or something along those lines.

Sometimes you have a tunnel shot with a tree in the middle of the fairway that you have to go around, but still finish straight. Say the tunnel is too long to just throw a hyzer around the tree. Difficult shot to pull off but you need it if you want a birdie.

hyzerflip.png

Yea, that guy sucks!

I'm just saying it's easier to be consistent with a flat shot than a hyzer flip.

Yea, that guy sucks!

I'm just saying it's easier to be consistent with a flat shot than a hyzer flip.

This is untrue IMO, you are probably not throwing flat but a few degrees either way which means your angle is different every throw.

Check today's HOD. Not everyone would pick a hyzerflip there, but it's definitely a hole that could warrant one depending upon each players mindset.

HOD 4/24

Yea, that guy sucks!

I did not say what I did as a personal statement but actually a general one. I am also inconsistent throwing precise hyzer flips.

I did not say what I did as a personal statement but actually a general one. I am also inconsistent throwing precise hyzer flips.

For me it's easier to be consistent with overstable discs. I just can't always put them on the line that I want.

Hyzerflips are fun and the flight is enjoyable to watch. Someone introduced me to the DD and told me to throw it with a hyzer angle and it will flatten out. Sure enough it did just that, and it wasn't that hard to throw either. I've taken a few beat in less stable discs out to the field, and enjoy just watching them flip up, glide for a long time and, with less fade than my destroyers. Wouldn't suggest throwing into a headwind.

I think the best overall shot that is enjoyable to watch is a turnover. Had a beat in Champ Katana and when I threw it flat with a ton of spin, it would go 250ft straight out then start to turn opposite way on a flat plane and glide an additional 150-200ft. Playing in a tourney, coming out to a righty slight dogleg hole, and all three RHBH players have difficulty. I throw my Katana straight out, it turns just in time at the dogleg, and parks 5ft from the basket on a 380ft shot. Watched some of the top pros on this hole and they all had to throw hyzer bombs to get within 30-45ft of the basket.

Last edited:

Latest posts