• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

Drop the CEs...There is your problem. CE FBs really are speed 9s, where I think the modern Champ FBs are no faster than a TB. The more modern ones are much closer to midrange than the CEs. No FBs since the CEs have been anything like the CEs. Maybe a Neutron plastic FB...

Regarding your last question...Whoever listed the Trident as speed 5 is either not being honest or shouldn't be rating discs. It does have a blunt nose, but a 1.9mm rim that's a 5 speed? BTW, Dan Beto threw the Trident like 550' or something ridiculous, so at a certain speed (Dan's armspeed or one of us into a stiff wind) the Trident gets action like a D driver, which is quite different from a FB.

http://www.latitude64.se/wp-content/uploads/press/L64_flight-chart_aug2012.pdf

They list them as a 5 themselves, I didn't believe it either.

This all makes more sense now. I've been wanting to get off of CE for a while now, almost there.

Is the Trident as OS as a FB? Are you throwing the new flat prod run champ FB's?

Drop the CEs...There is your problem. CE FBs really are speed 9s, where I think the modern Champ FBs are no faster than a TB. The more modern ones are much closer to midrange than the CEs. No FBs since the CEs have been anything like the CEs. Maybe a Neutron plastic FB...

Regarding your last question...Whoever listed the Trident as speed 5 is either not being honest or shouldn't be rating discs. It does have a blunt nose, but a 1.9mm rim that's a 5 speed? BTW, Dan Beto threw the Trident like 550' or something ridiculous, so at a certain speed (Dan's armspeed or one of us into a stiff wind) the Trident gets action like a D driver, which is quite different from a FB.

I would have loved him see him throw a trident 550'. Wonder how far he can throw a XXX?

I would have loved him see him throw a trident 550'. Wonder how far he can throw a XXX?

He actually didn't throw the XXX nearly as far...Probably because it's still HSS stable well above normal armspeeds, where the Trident actually has the bottom wing of a stable/understable disc.

http://www.latitude64.se/wp-content/uploads/press/L64_flight-chart_aug2012.pdf

They list them as a 5 themselves, I didn't believe it either.

This all makes more sense now. I've been wanting to get off of CE for a while now, almost there.

Is the Trident as OS as a FB? Are you throwing the new flat prod run champ FB's?

There are a few questionable things on that chart...I think they are overstating the range of speeds their drivers cover, which would make sense from a marketing point of view.

I'm looking to get my first few PD's and was hoping for a recommendation. I'm travelling down to Arizona for the holidays and while there will look to pick up 3 or so. I've been playing for 2 years now and throw a teebird around 325-350ft.

I am thinking of getting the following:

175g C-PD, possibly to replace my champ firebird
170g S-PD, hoping this is the magical "longer teebird"
possibly a lighter S-PD but I don't know which weight

I don't want to buy a P-PD. The reason being is living in Canada its cost prohibitive to buy and replace a single disc. I've tried buying and cycling KC Pro Rocs and after that experience I've found I prefer to throw only premium plastic in anything but my putting putter.

If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

C-PD
The current run C-PDs are not going to replace your Firebird unless it's REALLY seasoned. The CFR first runs are the ones that are the most overstable and even then they aren't FireBird overstable. The current (3rd) run C-PDs fly slightly less stable than First Run S-Lines (slightly beefier than production Freaks). They are money. I don't throw drivers much anymore since my closest course is a putter course, but mine is still the same, flightwise, as the day I got it.

S-PD
Even at 170, the S-PD will take a while to fly like a TeeBird. It'll a pretty healthy fade to it when new (I prefer ~172s).

P-PD
Honestly, a P-PD will fly straightest for you from the start so it might be a nice thing to have while you're working on your S-Line. By the time the S-Line is straight, the P-Line will be a turnover machine.

I love PDs. Here are some of my 1st Run S-PDs. They are the darker yellow top shelf. 30 and counting.

1strunpdshelf.jpg

I thought I was crazy having a baker's dozen. I'm just happy I paid stock prices for mine when no one wanted them.

C-PD
The current run C-PDs are not going to replace your Firebird unless it's REALLY seasoned. The CFR first runs are the ones that are the most overstable and even then they aren't FireBird overstable. The current (3rd) run C-PDs fly slightly less stable than First Run S-Lines (slightly beefier than production Freaks). They are money.

So if I buy a current C-PD I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a 3rd run which fly really nice? Is there any way to identify the 3rd run quickly? Or would I need to compare against a known 1st or 2nd run?

So if I buy a current C-PD I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a 3rd run which fly really nice? Is there any way to identify the 3rd run quickly? Or would I need to compare against a known 1st or 2nd run?

Even a star 161 flies the same as my 171.

your best shot at getting a 3rd C PD is mark as DGV. he might still have some CFR too.

Here's the breakdown of how to tell the C-Lines apart.

CFR (technically 1st Run - preproduction) - Patent number tooling (only C-Lines with patent tooling)
1st Production Run (2nd Run) - Production C-Line stamp and Plus rim. There were some CFR leftovers included in this run, but they're easily identified by the patent number tooling
3rd Run - Non-plus rim, generally in the "current" pearly plastic

Finding a 3rd run, as was said by JAKE master, is not going to be easy. Because the PD isn't very well established here in the states, the 1st Production Runs will more than likely sit on shelves forever because those that know how great the PD is know they don't want the Plus rim (even though they aren't THAT bad in that configuration). Mark at DiscGolfValues is probably the best way to obtain them, aside from posting a Wanted thread in the Marketplace here. Just know that if you buy at DGV, DO NOT PAY WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD. PayPal only unless you don't mind your card info being stolen and used. I've bought several discs through him, all with PayPal, and haven't had any trouble.

Here's the breakdown of how to tell the C-Lines apart.

CFR (technically 1st Run - preproduction) - Patent number tooling (only C-Lines with patent tooling)
1st Production Run (2nd Run) - Production C-Line stamp and Plus rim. There were some CFR leftovers included in this run, but they're easily identified by the patent number tooling
3rd Run - Non-plus rim, generally in the "current" pearly plastic

Finding a 3rd run, as was said by JAKE master, is not going to be easy. Because the PD isn't very well established here in the states, the 1st Production Runs will more than likely sit on shelves forever because those that know how great the PD is know they don't want the Plus rim (even though they aren't THAT bad in that configuration). Mark at DiscGolfValues is probably the best way to obtain them, aside from posting a Wanted thread in the Marketplace here. Just know that if you buy at DGV, DO NOT PAY WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD. PayPal only unless you don't mind your card info being stolen and used. I've bought several discs through him, all with PayPal, and haven't had any trouble.

hit the nail on the head, and watch out trying to find a good s line also, there are several variations now out in the wild. there are the test configs that do not have the anhyzer top on them, your regular anhyzer topped s line with a perpindicular rim, and reports of plus rimmed s lines in the wild.

with all of the pd variations out there, mark at dgv is the best person to talk to. he'll get you exactly what you want, seeing as he's the US discmania sales rep, or at least was this past summer when i was looking into getting some discmania cfr stuff.

Ugh,

I dunno guys. I was hoping I could go to a local shop in Arizona and just grab a few I liked the look of off the shelf. If this is going to take a team of crime scene investigators I don't know if I'll bother getting any. I'll probably grab a few more Opto Pure's instead.

kaiser is right, as tbird, its not that complicated and in reality the plus mold isnt that different.
pick up some S and a C and forget its plus mold. i bet you dont notice in the field. i flick the my C+ better than my S and once i got beyond the mental hangup that it was + , it BHs the same with a little less penetrating fade.

tbird, thanks for sharing the DGV paypal info, i was unaware of people having the card info stolen.

Interesting. I definitely agree with your thoughts. I guess I'm just looking for a reason to drop the FB's. Mine are CE FX's, and I don't want to replace them. I'm going down to a production run bag and buying about 5-6 of each and I don't want any more of either.

If any of y'all have throw CE and glow flats, are they similar?

Also, ds, how is a trident similar to a fb? I believe you but it's listed as a 5 speed, I guess I'm just surprised...

I throw a S-PD as my OS distance driver and a trident for my utility driver similar to a FB. The Trident I feel is slower than a FB, but has more HSS turn so it can cover wind fighting duties when need be, but the Trident does a better job with spike hyzers. This is the easiest place to see the difference between a PD and a Trident or FB, the spikes with the latter two are more of an up and down spike while the PD has alot more right to left movement when thrown with a spike.

Just got a 172 gummy plus rim C-PD in a trade today. Holy cow.
The rim fits my smallish hands perfectly. Thrown flat it has a solid turn and comes back almost all the way. Thrown with a bit of hyzer and stands up and tracks a slight bit before coming back. I was able to get it around 375-400 in field today. I can get Teebirds between 325 and 350 and Wraiths 400-430 or so for comparison. In my opinion the one that I have is closer to a longer Eagle than Teebird, because I have never had a Teebird turn that much and come back. Or I have a fluky PD.
Needless to say, it is staying in the bag.:thmbup:

so.... who wants to start emailing discmania requesting glow pds? i've already done it twice this week, everybody else jump in.