• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problems getting distance with FH throws..

My only problem is when i release it at that angle, I can never get it to fade left at all, it just heads right. The only for-sure way to get it to go left at all is releasing it like this --> °/
then letting it fade left and hook back to the right.

yep, i think youre using plastic that is too overstable, get your hands on something more flippy and hyzer flip it, adding another phase is going to be the big ticket for you hitting that higher D. Craftsman was right on the money

I haven't thrown a Valk since I was like 15 or so, to me they're too slow and too stable.

a valk is not stable. an x-cal is super overstable. its your form

i threw FH all last year, learned a ton about disc selection and form. today a valk or a PD is easily my farthest disc at just over 350'. that's a measured 350 too. I use to throw "s" lines w destroyers and bosses as well and only got them out to 320ish. when i'd out drive them w an EX or a TB i knew something was wrong. did research, and figured out stuff over speed 10 is for 400'+ throwers. all you have to do to get fast overstable driver out to 320' is huck it as hard as you can w some anhyzer.

I would suggest going and getting a 180g Z-Buzz and a 172ish Dx-TB or DX EX and learn to throw those well. Get the buzz out to 225-250 and the TB or EX out to 350'. The TB and buzz should be laser straight for 80% of the flight.

I am with you on the backhand senerio and throw FH on most my drives. I usually throw over 300 and can't imagine how these guys claim 450+ FH. I don't really understand why they say the most overstable disc is good for FH unless in the wind. I like to use them for that huge fade but no way my go to driver. I am still trying to find that disc but been using the beast, katana, sidewinder and QJBL. I am liking the katana cause is has a nice turn followed with a good fade. -3,3

Wow guys, I'm really impressed with all the feedback here. And trust me, I'm taking it all to heart. Thank you so much.

It's your form, sorry to say this.

Go back to the basics. Get some seriously understable discs like the comet ( midrange ) or some understable putter and work on your hyzers till you can get the putter 250 or the midrange 300 without it ever flipping over and going left.

The Xcal is way too stable and way too fast for you. Of course it will mask form flaws and no matter how much you torque it, it will still make that predictable S curve. But it is not helping your form at all. I would not touch anything with a speed > 10 till you can get your fairway drivers 350+.

Hey mate good place to come for advice, you'll get a heap, especially when asking about form and distance. People are very quick to knock someone's form but if your getting good accuracy and your arms not hurting after 14 years forehand you could be awesome for all I know. I would guess you just don't have a massive arm so need to go other ways to get big D. I would recvommend a star destroyer in a 165 weight range and really beat it up. You should be able to get heaps more out of it than an xcal because it will give you a little turn (movement to the left) mid flight before it fades. It's really fun to throw and you should be able to get that distance by throwing it flat or a slight hyzer.

^ Yes on the light discs. They aren't always good in the wind but they are crucial to my game.

I've been throwing FH for a few years now and have also reached the 320-350 plateau.
My longest controlled drives ever have been hyzer flips with light Eagles, Rivers and Visions.
I parked hole 8 at Grandview in Des Moines a few times, so I know I can throw a bit farther that 350.
gv%2520hole%25208.jpg

When I want to throw farther I try to incorporate more reachback, leading with my hips, and try to stay as smooth as possible, accelerating through the shot. Follow through.

My only problem is when i release it at that angle, I can never get it to fade left at all, it just heads right. The only for-sure way to get it to go left at all is releasing it like this --> °/
then letting it fade left and hook back to the right.

Sounds like not enough snap to me... It also depends on the disc but you need to get good snap for a hyzerflip. Are you strong arming?

Just remember Smooth is Far

I throw supper flippy 150g Blizz Katanas and 166g Avenger SS's for max D on hyzerflips and it works great for me.

forehand power

I have thrown forehand for all my discgolf life. I am 61 and can throw about 310-320. there are very few courses I play that i am underpowered. one technique a pro advised me to consider when things start to go south is to stand flatfooted and just use the leg, hips, shoulder and arm to fling the disc. the idea being to "re-align the shot". you have to keep track of your distance after each session. he recommended doing this for about 10 days. then slowly, and I mean slowly, at about 75% power begin to use your normal throwing routine with however many steps you take.....once again keeping track of the distance. the urge is to just go out and power the hell out of it but restraint will get you more distance. as you begin to "re-align" all the parts of the shot increase the power to the shot and you should see marked improvement...good luck.

I have thrown forehand for all my discgolf life. I am 61 and can throw about 310-320. there are very few courses I play that i am underpowered. one technique a pro advised me to consider when things start to go south is to stand flatfooted and just use the leg, hips, shoulder and arm to fling the disc. the idea being to "re-align the shot". you have to keep track of your distance after each session. he recommended doing this for about 10 days. then slowly, and I mean slowly, at about 75% power begin to use your normal throwing routine with however many steps you take.....once again keeping track of the distance. the urge is to just go out and power the hell out of it but restraint will get you more distance. as you begin to "re-align" all the parts of the shot increase the power to the shot and you should see marked improvement...good luck.

listen to this guy, I do the same thing if I start throwing bad shots consistently. slowing it all down really helps. you can really get a lot out of a FH just standing still, one of its advantages over a BH, especially in the woods

I'll share some of my experiences, because we are very similar. I've been playing for around 9 years now (don't remember exactly when I started). Most of that time was primarily forehand. This year is the first time that I have a workable backhand off the tee. My driver of choice for a long time was the XCaliber. But I topped out around 330 with a big flex shot (which is what it sounds like you're doing).

First of all, this is fine for distance, you're not going to be undermatched by throwing around 325. There are some problems with throwing the big flex for distance though. First, you're in trouble on tight wooded fairways. The flex shot needs a lot of room to move and when the fairway squeezes in on you, it's much harder to get that distance. Second, as your disc beats in, you lose the over-stability you rely on and you're consistency begins to wane.

In light of these problems, I decided to try more neutral distance drivers last year. The Nuke became a very good driver for me. I could still use a bit of an anhyzer release as I was accustomed to, but it was a much straighter flier and was getting me a bit farther than the XCal could. Since then I've been working on my form and have gotten it to the point that I can throw a Champ Katana on a slight hyzer release, get it to flip up to flat and fade back ever so slightly at the end. With this throw I can get 350' with very little left-to-right movement.

But I think that is as far as I will ever go. There are very few players that can outdrive me forehand. 350 is excellent distance. Sure, there are some people around here that probably can cruise past 400', but those are few and far between.

The Champ Katana has been a spectacular disc for me and taught me a lot about how to throw good forehands. Get one, take it into the field and learn it. The big thing I began noticed with it over the XCal is that when I threw it right, it finished straight. The XCal always finished moving to the right. I had to plan for skips and fades. With the Katana, it hits the ground and slides forward. That's how I know I got a good release and really maxed out the distance on that throw.

I use a different grip than most, the pads of my fingers are on the rim not the flight plate. This gives me more distance (Destroyer out to 400 now). Also you should try throwing a slower driver (speed 10ish, i throw orcs) to get your form a bit better

ive looked in to it and I've read that a Nuke OS and the Blizzard Ape are pretty much the prime sidearm discs on the market right now, so I bought them both last night. If this thread stays alive throughout the weekend I'll see if I can get any more distance with either of them, and I'm pretty optimistic about them both. Has anyone thrown either of these before? (preferably sidearm, rhbh throwers cant really help me at this point :p)

I throw a 171g Z plastic blue NUKE for flicks and it travels. I just picked up a Teedevil and it my be my new flick disc. Love the Teedevil so far.

Nuke OS is way to overstable for most good side armers. You would have to be elite to get one to go over 350 ft on a flick. Unless it is extremely beat in or if it is flippy out the box.

I haven't thrown a Valk since I was like 15 or so, to me they're too slow and too stable.
And as far as throwing midrange and putting, I do all of that BH, it's just my drives that I throw FH.
And I'm sure a lot of egos on here claim to drive 400-450+ feet, but not many explain how. And I've never heard of a FH player throwing anywhere near that range consistently.

Brian Cook is a LHFH MPO golfer up here in the PacNW... He can easily throw 400, and probably hits 450 pretty consistently... It seems effortless for him... I wish I had pointers for you, I gave up my FH distance drives, it is strictly finesse FH off the pad for me. I can tell you that B. Cook throws 2 star destroyers, and a champ destroyer (for a little more stability) as his big d discs

Well guys, despite everyone offering what discs I should try (I'd already ordered them before I made this thread), I got my new ones in the mail just now.
150 Blizzard Ape
171 Nuke OS (I'm a bit sketchy on this one after what you guys have said)
174 Elite Z Buzzz

Needless to say, I'm about to go throw them. I'll let those who care know how it goes, and as soon as I get paid I'm gonna invest in a few more that I kept getting advised to invest in.

i used to dominantly throw FH, and as i improved i gradually threw BH, BH allows you to use your whole body with a throw, opposed to FH which is basically just your arm.

I'm no expert, but...

My first inclination with forehand was to port over backhand concepts. Turning sideways to the target, coiling my torso and letting it go to build momentum, things related to the sources of a backhand's power. But all that extra movement just cluttered things up for me, my accuracy went downhill and my consistency evaporated.

Then it hit me - all those things related to building disc speed in a backhand serve the dual purpose of keeping the disc on its line the whole way through the throwing motion. Adding a twisting motion to a forehand did nothing but take the disc off line, and take the chosen line off line. By leaving the body in a compromised, unathletic position it reduced explosion into the hit instead of increasing explosion.

So, now what I'm doing is two shuffle steps where I'm keeping my chest square to the target until I start the hit by opening and winding my left elbow, just like a pitcher. This starts a natural twisting of the torso, but it's not so extreme as to pull the disc off line or jeopardize the release. I then throw my left elbow around in time with my right arm starting and completing its swing. My feet are pointing directly at the target at this point, both of them, and I lunge forward at the hit to add inertia.

I don't know, someone will probably correct me if the above is the outright wrong thing to do (and I welcome that, it's part of learning), and maybe I should go back to the old way and work harder at the timing and linkage, but the results for me have been quite satisfying, I'm throwing farther and more accurately than ever.

Well, the XCaliber still outdrives the Nuke by a mile, maybe I just need to get used to it or something.
The Ape flies incredible, very very straight and VERY very far. Very pleased with how it flies, as long as I work on it some I think it'll be my new main driver.
The Buzzz also lives up to its name, I throw it backhand and can get it up to about 225 feet with ease, it also flies very straight.
I think if I work on the Nuke it could be a good tight-fairway driver, but someone earlier was right when they said it likes to drop out of the sky really quickly. But I'll work on it.
I'm probably gonna pick up a Blizzard Katana soon, I'll see how that one goes.
But anyways, the main part of this thread was to help improve my distance, and I'm pretty sure I tossed the Ape well past 350 feet today.

Latest posts