• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

Cameron threw some D4 shots after minis on Saturday. I had a couple good throws at least 450' and Cam had a couple hyzer out early around there. He did rip one easily 100'+ past my furthest throw that was flirting with 600'. He says he hasn't practiced with them much and he needs to go a field to work them out. He had a box of D1s and D4s. He said some flew like what he thought a D2 or D3 would be. He also had a clear D1 that he claimed was super beefy. The impression I'm getting is that Prodigy is able to tweak their process to make a slightly more or less stable disc. I'd be willing to bet that the production run D1s are made more overstable than the proto D1s. Didn't that happen with the proto vs. production Boss as well?

I went to the practice field today to throw my bag a few times. I've got two D1s. My 172 D1 is as overstable as my new VIP domey boatman just 50'+ longer and stayed in the car. The less stable 170 D1 is a tick more stable than my stable seasoned star bosses. The less stable 170 held a long high anny 13mph downwind turnover flex to 490'. I had another good D1 throw that hyzered out of its turn early 450'. My less stable D1 rode a hyzer out to 410' downwind thrown less than 15' high. Into that headwind, I wished I had the more stable D1 but on a 10-15' low line I got 380' hyzer flip with about 10' turn and 20' fade. I tried a little anny into the wind and the 170 D1 turned and pushed 100' right of my target:doh: not a big headwind disc.

I've found that these discs love a lot of height and take advange of their incredible turn, great glide, and forward fade. It might be that my form is getting better but my bosses would hyzer out of the high anny turn missing out on the fastest portion of the flight. My best shot with my D4 went 495'. These are all great improvements considering my max D with an esp nuke/star boss was peaking around 450' on the best of throws.

i got a few throws in with my yellow 172 marked d4 and 168 marked blue d1 yesterday and figured i'd share my thoughts based off of a handful of throws. i took a microfiber towel and rubbed the flashing off of the bottom of both discs before throwing for reference.

the d4 was straighter than i expected, but that could also be due to it being heavier than 172. i haven't had the chance to put it on a scale yet. thrown flat for me it would track right for a little bit and then fade nice and smooth. the disc did come off of the hand nice and clean and the plastic gripped very well. we had 3 inches of snow saturday night and it was 50 outside yesterday, so everything was pretty damp. i had a few golf shots in the 360-370 range and the course i played doesn't have many holes to let it rip. i was getting similar distance with a 172 lace, and the lace didn't want to track right and faded more than the d4. based on descriptions i was expecting the d4 to be flippy, and it isn't from my experiences. once you break it in i can see it having more turn, but it feels like it'll be a controlled turn that still has some fade in the end. i'm looking forward to tossing it on long turnovers, i use a tournament sword right at 170 for this shot now.

the d1 wasn't nearly as overstable as i was expecting, but maybe the heavier ones are a lot more beefy. my first rip with it was flat, i could see the disc wanting to track right a bit but never did...just rode really straight until it faded. what i was surprised with though was how the d1 faded. mine just kind of nose dived into the ground once it slowed down. my 168 tournament giant goes nice and straight when thrown hard, but once it faded it seems like it still moves forward, just starts pulling left real hard. thrown flat on my first pull on a golf line was probably in the 370-380 range, which is about where i'm topping out at this point right now. i got a chance to toss it on a big flex shot off of the tee and got it out around 400.

i was wanting to get some open practice shots with it after the round to find the lines they like to fly on, but had to head out right after i finished my round. i think they'll make it permanently in the bag once i learn them a bit more. i'm interested in seeing how the d2 and d3 fly because from what i gathered from throwing the d1 and d4 i don't know if 2 discs fit in between them flight wise. i could see putting 1 mold between the 2 but 2 more seems like a stretch.

Cameron Colglazier said that Phil Arthur is tweaking the D1 mold to make it more overstable. Which will be nice. And with my experience with the D4, it flies wonderfully. I've never hit 450 that easily in my life. Ever. I'm getting one the next chance I get.

i got a few throws in with my yellow 172 marked d4 and 168 marked blue d1 yesterday and figured i'd share my thoughts based off of a handful of throws. i took a microfiber towel and rubbed the flashing off of the bottom of both discs before throwing for reference.

the d4 was straighter than i expected, but that could also be due to it being heavier than 172. i haven't had the chance to put it on a scale yet. thrown flat for me it would track right for a little bit and then fade nice and smooth. the disc did come off of the hand nice and clean and the plastic gripped very well. we had 3 inches of snow saturday night and it was 50 outside yesterday, so everything was pretty damp. i had a few golf shots in the 360-370 range and the course i played doesn't have many holes to let it rip. i was getting similar distance with a 172 lace, and the lace didn't want to track right and faded more than the d4. based on descriptions i was expecting the d4 to be flippy, and it isn't from my experiences. once you break it in i can see it having more turn, but it feels like it'll be a controlled turn that still has some fade in the end. i'm looking forward to tossing it on long turnovers, i use a tournament sword right at 170 for this shot now.

the d1 wasn't nearly as overstable as i was expecting, but maybe the heavier ones are a lot more beefy. my first rip with it was flat, i could see the disc wanting to track right a bit but never did...just rode really straight until it faded. what i was surprised with though was how the d1 faded. mine just kind of nose dived into the ground once it slowed down. my 168 tournament giant goes nice and straight when thrown hard, but once it faded it seems like it still moves forward, just starts pulling left real hard. thrown flat on my first pull on a golf line was probably in the 370-380 range, which is about where i'm topping out at this point right now. i got a chance to toss it on a big flex shot off of the tee and got it out around 400.

i was wanting to get some open practice shots with it after the round to find the lines they like to fly on, but had to head out right after i finished my round. i think they'll make it permanently in the bag once i learn them a bit more. i'm interested in seeing how the d2 and d3 fly because from what i gathered from throwing the d1 and d4 i don't know if 2 discs fit in between them flight wise. i could see putting 1 mold between the 2 but 2 more seems like a stretch.

so aren't the Giant and D1 in the same category
and based on that description isn't the Giant the better disc?

i.e. doesn't just dump over but has a distance gaining forward penetrating fade?

so aren't the Giant and D1 in the same category
and based on that description isn't the Giant the better disc?

i.e. doesn't just dump over but has a distance gaining forward penetrating fade?

to be honest i'm gonna have to get more throws in with them to see if this wasn't just a fluke. there were some wind gusts yesterday, so that could've had something to do with it. the d1 did seem to travel straight further than the giant before fading, so i think some will prefer it to the giant for that reason. once the d1 beats in a little i'm curious to see how it flies, and if the fade changes at all. i don't think the d1 that i have would substitute for a giant, but if the mold is being tweaked to be more overstable later runs could.

I got one more throw each on the D1 and D4 today. Their doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the flight path. Both are understable but have predictable fade at the end of the flight. They both went roughly 475' tiny bit of head wind. I should be able to actually get some work in with these tomorrow but I will not have a cameraman. Unless they tweak the mold I view these as more of a D2 and D3 not a D1 and D4. They still go a long ways with relative ease. And I for one like the rounded edge. I have an old Star Boss with the same rim roundness, I've got 4 aces on that guy and many many near aces.

Thought you guys might think this is cool, I certainly do. This is a blue D1 btw. The two pictures are slightly different, I couldn't decide which was best so I threw both up.

7D8A2A35-DB7E-4D8F-A245-019FF6A22682-23829-000019125BDCBDC0_zps5799c91f.jpg

1F77AEEA-23BC-4819-A1EB-78FF7777E49A-23829-0000191262CA939D_zps8af99fd9.jpg

^^^ my overstable D1 looks like this^^^

Both mine were on the lighter, paler shade of blue than most I saw but this ice blue one can handle some headwind.

dscn0614r.jpg

^^^Reply^^^

Mine does not turn and burn in headwind but it certainly is not overstable in a headwind. I'll have to try and get ahold of an ice blue like yours.

Sounds like prodigy is terribly inconsistent with their molding. So the D1 is more overstable than a destroyer, or less? Sounds like there's a 50/50 split :|

my green d1's on the left are flat and decently beefy. more like a destroyer stability with a little turn. my giant hhas more hss and lss than it does.

20130204_131754.jpg

i love the plastic feel but plastic quality is crap. the d4s have dips in the plate, both have some excess flashing on the nose, stamp quality is junk.

the feel is nice and grippy but other than that,im not entirely impressed by these discs just yet. i think if i didnt have the giant,i would probably like the d 1 more. i do kind of like my d4s,but they arent as flippy as i expected. they actually fly like good wraiths or seasoned fr destroyers. some turn anf some kick back for nice flex shots.

while my d1's are flat,the dome or what dome the d4s have,has dipps in it from the stamp.

hope they fix alot of stuff,might be a new company but they hyped the hell out of the quality and consistency.

did you notice that your d1's liked to nose dive once they slowed down compared to the fade on the giant?

Sooo who do I contact about sending my 178 gram D4 back to Prodigy for one that is actually Legal?

Latest posts