• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

I got to handle the D1 and the D4 today. I dont know why, but I felt the plastic looked and felt super cheap. I really didn't like the feel a whole lot either. Anyone else have similar impressions?

My shop got them in and before dubs on Saturday I felt a few up. I had the same impression--the disc looked cheap, and the stamp made it look worse. I've bought Discraft misprints that looked better than that stamp. I had the impression that it looked and felt kind of like a toy if that makes sense.

I have to say though, it was really grippy and gummy feeling. Aesthetic impressions aside, I think the plastic could be a winner as long as it's durable enough. I can only imagine how gummy it would be in the summer.

My shop got them in and before dubs on Saturday I felt a few up. I had the same impression--the disc looked cheap, and the stamp made it look worse. I've bought Discraft misprints that looked better than that stamp. I had the impression that it looked and felt kind of like a toy if that makes sense.

I have to say though, it was really grippy and gummy feeling. Aesthetic impressions aside, I think the plastic could be a winner as long as it's durable enough. I can only imagine how gummy it would be in the summer.

They did feel gummy, I will admit that. Chances are, I will try one at some point but at the moment I already have three high speed drivers in my bag, ranging from overstable to stable to understable. From what I've been reading and hearing about the D1 and D4 it'd just be overlap.

Seriously though, they do look and feel like toys. I am not hating, if they fly well then whatever.

Got to throw my new D4 around for a bit today. Unfortunately it is almost 4 grams overweight (178.1) :thmbdown: I'm not sure if its the heavy weight or just my ability to only throw about 375-400 (350 golf lines), but this D4 didn't have nearly as much turn as I expected. I would rate it about 12/6/-1/2. Great glide, GREAT feeling plastic, just not what I was expecting. I've contacted the website I ordered it from (Infinitediscs.com) about getting a legal weight replacement.

Hopefully a lighter weight around 170 would have the turn I'm looking for out of a D4.

Think they will take it back now that you've thrown it?

What makes you say that? Because the D1-4 are the only Prodigy discs on the Approved list? Good one... :\

I threw a 174 D1 today. Most of my thoughts have been shared already, so pardon the echo here. The D1 is by no means a meathook. High Speed turn is apparent. I would compare it to a new star D destroyer, but with more glide out of the box. The rim size is somewhere between a destroyer and a Nuke. The plastic is very grippy, yet the release feels very smooth due to the curved edge on the inner rim.

The disc is long and feels great :clap:. I just ordered two of em'. I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, just telling it how i saw it.

From the PDGA website:

PDGA Addresses Overweight Disc Issue

Prodigy Disc Golf estimates that 200 to 400 D1 Drivers were produced at 3+ grams over the maximum weight limit of 174.3 grams for PDGA Approved discs that are 21.0 centimeters in diameter. Prodigy is willing to replace overweight discs sent to vendors or already sold to players. Prodigy has been working with the PDGA to establish quality control measures that will ensure compliance with PDGA standards in the future.

It is the manufacturer's responsibility to produce discs that meet PDGA standards, but the player shares that obligation. If a disc thrown by a player is confirmed by the tournament director at a PDGA event to be over its legal weight, the thrower is subject to a penalty ranging from 2 throws to disqualification depending on the severity of the infraction. Please think twice about knowingly using overweight discs so we can keep the playing field fair for all players in PDGA events.

D1 174g- Based on my not so scientific sampling of 5-6 throws in snow and high winds, I'd say it does a great job of taking off and landing- fast out of the hand, good glide, so finish. Seems to 'get there' without a ton of effort, but not necessarily get any extra distance, just less effort. I'd say best/great to try for those who currently throw 350-400' backhand max distance. Have not tried the D4 yet.

OK, got my D1 in the mail last night, could have thrown it earlier except I was in a tournament in Boise so by the time I got back it was dark. Did spend a while feeling it up last night and the best way to explain the feel would be like good grippy Champion. It's nothing special, still feels like crap if it's wet, but does have a clingy fartyness that is better than champion, and on par with Opto. The rim also feels nearly exactly like my Destroyers, but the bottom is not as sharp due to the easy release bevel. It just looks like they just took out a quarter millimeter worth of material at a 45 degree angle.
Today the weather was decent, 5-10 mph winds and hovering at 40 degrees. I took out 2 fresh AJ Destroyers, 1 beat in Destroyer, and 2 PDs to throw and compare. The D1 was surprisingly not overstable. It is actually straighter than my Destroyers, with a hair more HSS, and significantly less LSS. The cruising speed of the D1 seems to be much lower as well. When thrown with medium power and flat, the D1 will have a no high speed turn, and starts to gradually hyzer out after about 2/3 of it's flight. The fade is more like a "2" on Innova's scale. I'd say the flight was much more like a PD. When thrown hard and flat, it will turn over for the majority of it's flight with a predictable hook up. It really liked being thrown for flex shots, as there was very little loss of altitude during the turn, and just enough fade to bring it back out (most of the time.) The D1 was also consistently out distancing my Destroyers by 10 to 30 feet depending on the line. Because of the smaller amount of fade and turn, the D1, and I know people are going to hate me for this, resembles not the Eagle-like flight of the Destroyer, but a longer Teebird. :eek:
I am actually quite shocked that Prodigy would release their "overstable" disc with this type of flight. It held up ok in the light headwind, but wouldn't a big arm pro need something more able to take power and tourque? Either they'll have to make a "D.5", or the production runs will need to be much beefier.
As for my bag, the Destroyers have something to worry about. A disc that is straighter and has more glide wants it's spot, and I kind of want it there too. I just have to find an overstable one.

Last edited:
I also want to add that the top of the disc is really interesting. Starting at the tip of the wing there is a hump, then a recess kind of like the Discmania Anhyzer top, then another smaller hump located at the border of the wing and flight plate, but this one has another tiny recess in the middle of it. Perhaps this is what gives it glide and keeps the fade low, I don't know. It's just very unique and cool.

When thrown hard and flat, it will turn over for the majority of it's flight with a predictable hook up. It really liked being thrown for flex shots, as there was very little loss of altitude during the turn, and just enough fade to bring it back out (most of the time.)

The flippier two out of my three D1s flew just like this. The other one was much more stable and flew how I initially thought my D1s would fly.

Mike C said that the D1 for him flew like a Predator. None of my three were even close to being that overstable.

I didn't really follow this thread too closely, but I do recall someone mentioning that there were some flippier D1s out there earlier on. I wonder if that's what these are? I need to get a new battery for my scale and weigh these suckers. Maybe the one stable one I have is actually just a porker.

I do recall someone mentioning that there were some flippier D1s out there earlier on. I wonder if that's what these are? I need to get a new battery for my scale and weigh these suckers. Maybe the one stable one I have is actually just a porker.

Mine is marked 174 and doesn't feel heavy, but I don't have a scale to confirm. I also read about the flippier D1s, and am hoping that is what we have. I wonder if it's a consistency issue, or a mold tweak. Either way, the D1 really needs to be more overstable than this, it just has to be.

I'm a local Oregon Pro with a rating of 1008, been playing for years, and consistantly throw between 475 and 525 with distance drives so with the review keep that in mind.

I have had probably 20 throws in a field with the D1, both were 174 and brand new. I had a stack of other discs at the same time, just to compare distance and flight. The D1 will most likely have a spot in my bag somewhere between my destroyers.

I found when I threw the d1 like a full power max distance drive it was a little more understable than I would have thought. If i threw it too low it would hold an anny until it eventually ran into the ground. With a little more air under it, the finish was nice, and almost always had a pretty good sized left skip. It may have just been the day, but I was throwing the d1's farther than my destroyers and forces. There was also very little wind, one direction about 5 mph tail then the other into my face. I found (could have just been bad releases) that into the wind the d1 did not really want to come back at the end of the flight. Down wind these things crushed. I release everything pretty flat, and rarely hyzer-flip anything.

Where I found that I like the disc is for throwing flat line hyzers. When i released it with some hyzer it stood up, it flew straight and a long way. They would end up near the full flight destroyers.

I would consider the flight like a neutral destroyer for me, looking forward to playing with them a little more, but honestly I hope the production model is a little more stable when they come out, also gonna be interesting seeing how well the discs hold up seeing how the plastic is pretty soft.

I like the rounded bottom I think, if for no other reason than it did not hurt the callus on my finger, didnt cause any slip outs which i was looking for.

Overall they feel good and fly a long way, I anticipate these making it into a lot of people bags in the near future

Thanks

Scott Withers

Weather: 34ºF 65% humidity 8MPH headwind no gusts just a steady wind in my face.

Throw 1: Prodigy D4 went about 370', estimate, I did not measure it.
Throw 2: Prodigy D1 Went 417' I measured this one.

I have now thrown each disc a total of 3 times. Not nearly enough to get a good opinion but I can say that it seems as though these discs were designed to have the same air flow over and under the disc. ie when thrown into the wind they do not jump up. They stay the height you threw them. Once the weather clears up I will throw a bunch and get some of the best throws on film. This and the last video was just a throw and then run inside before I froze.

Another thing I noticed was there does not seem to be as huge difference between the D1 and D4 as I expected. The D1 still has some turn to it and the D4 still hyzers out at the end. The air was very thick so we will definitely see some different flights when it warms up. And I can get more power into them when my fingers are not frozen.

417' with the headwind was not a bad throw. From that spot with no wind I can usually get about 450'

Big thanks to my Fiancee for filming these two throws, she was coming over for the Superbowl and saw my walking out to the end of my lane and agreed to film out her window. The first throw gets lost, but she captured the second very nicely. Thanks Miss Megan!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts