• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

I think he is implying that he is the one that threw it over the fence, and because it didn't fly on his intended line, he decided to leave it behind. That's how I read it anyways...

This is true. Out of the 15 throws I had with the D1, maybe 2-3 actually flipped up and came back, the others went straight right (such as the one that sent it over the fence). I believe I have fairly-decent control and some distance and the D1 was not working for me. I chose not to jump a six-foot wrought-iron fence to get it back and simply, like I have many discs before, left it behind.

Didn't register just to bash this disc/company, been lurking here for a while and on DGR before this. Thread is called 'impressions' and I was not impressed with this disc. Too flippy for me. I'm heading back to the Boss.

This weekend I was able to throw a few of these. My max distance is about 400-410 with my consistent d being 370-380. I was able to throw both d4 and d1 and two different of each. First I tossed the d4 first run and tossed it right over 400. I threw it a little higher than I normally do just cause what I have read here. It turned right and held that line awhile and predictably faded back. I only tossed it a few times.
Next was the first run d1. It was more over stable for sure and I grew it once where I flipped it and got it to about 390 the other times I could only get it to about 360-370. But I know where it was going every I threw it.
The two next discs I tossed were a d4 and d1 as well but were marked proto not first run.
The d4 was more flippy than the first run d4. I did put it somewhere around. 430 once but I couldn't control it and most shots flipped over hard and I had to throw way high to get the d out of it.
I did like the proto d1 better than its first one brother. It was very predictable with slight turn to right. This was right around 390-400 everytime I tossed it.
But it was blue...
Overall I liked these discs but did not like how just first run and proto flew that different. But overall great feeling plastic and good discs to look at.
I didn't buy any and wont until they are reasonable

I haven't had a chance to throw them yet, but when I was handling them yesterday they felt like $ in the hand. I can't wait till they start putting out some fairway drivers and midranges in that plastic.

So I got my D1 and D4 Proto's on Friday after I got home from my one round that I could squeeze in during the week. Busy weekend but I just had to throw them so I managed to squeeze in literally a couple throws of each in some less than perfect conditions.

I threw them both into and with a mild wind and threw a couple discs along side them that I'm familiar with, a CPD2 and a GL Flow.

First up the D1 against the CPD2 - the D1 Proto is definitely not as overstable as my CPD2 though it held up nice into the headwind and went longer by about 30-40'.

The D4 really impressed me on the 2 throws I got with it so far. Out drove the Flow by 50' both times with a fairly similar flight. Not as understable, but it flipped up and over from a slight hyzer and had a nice fade out of it for some easy D.

I'm obviously not using this data to come up with any long term conclusions on these discs, but my first impressions were pretty positive. Throwing them in my travel bag for my trip to Maui on Friday and will get some more time with them in some nicer conditions.

I think I will come back to Prodigy and take another look when they release fairway drivers. I see open shots that these D discs would be useful for once per round, and what I have been seeing is that one shot will be uber-far, and the other shot will be uber-off target. A 50/50 mix means that in the grand scheme of things I am breaking even. However, knowing my luck is that the bad shot will always crop up more often than not when I am playing tournaments.

Right now I am going to stick with consistency because I have fairly accurate 370-400 feet with my Valkyries and Canons.

I am not against looking at Prodigy again. Over the last three years I have always been looking for the next great fairway driver that can replace my TeeBirds. While I keep coming back to my TeeBirds, I am not willing to say that is the endall to my setup. Recently I have discovered the Rival which for me is superior to the TeeBird in straight line and accurate fairway shots. A heavy Champ Leopard can pick up the shots the Rival cannot, making them a dynamic pair. If it were only to glide a little better or hold anhyzers a touch better, than the Rival would be a perfect disc. That is Prodigy's only shot with me right now.

Sent my 178g proto D4 back for a legal replacement. I have a 167g first run on the way back! Hopefully it flies a lot less stable than the proto...that thing flew like a boss for me.

Threw my D4 on a pretty tight S 520-50 ish yesterday. Fairway is lined with trees on both sides, is maybe 120' wide, 670' long with the pad being closer to the right tree line. Slight tail, never got higher than 10-12' offthe ground, just cruised. Was pretty

I've never seen someone throw 500'+ (550'?) on a low golf line (10'?) before. I'd love to see a video if you have any.

So I just drank the kool aid and picked up two proto d1s and a first run d4. Imo, I think the plastic is just like opto, only softer. The d4 is considerably softer in feel to the proto d1s though. It would take a miracle at this point to replace my trespass, but we shall see. Overall, I like the feel of the plastic and discs themselves.

Picked up a D1 and D4 today and got a handful of throws in with each in calm conditions. Normally throwing my Destroyers around 400, Katanas a bit further. Initial impression was that they both bomb. I expected the D1 to be more overstable/meathook from some peoples descriptions, but I didn't find it to be as overstable as a Force. It still exhibited zero high speed turn and dependable fade, while still gliding far.

D4 gave me incredible distance without trying to power it. Felt like a glidier star katana that is right in the sweet spot, but longer. Was glad it wasn't incredibly understable, in fact quite workable on anhyzer releases with enough height.

Interesting to note: D4 scaled in at a hefty 178.4 grams! D1 weighed in at 176.1. Both are marked at 174.

After throwing these today, I have to say my Trespass is staying. The D1 didn't offer me anything my Trespass isn't and the rim is less comfortable. I was however impressed with the D4. Until I hit a tree. After inspection post tree hit, the disc is discolored where it and the tree met. The pink is much lighter in that spot. It's hard to see in the pic, but I thought the disc split for a second.
IMAG0090_zps3445bf94.jpg

yeah i have zero experience with their discs but some polymers are subject to stress cracks just like glass.. Wonder what happens when you fold one in half? eek lol!

I may donate that D4 to science to find out how durable the plastic really is.

:thmbup: Yeah makes me wonder what some of the issues 2 years and more from now with all these new companies, plastics/blends etc... It would surprise me that more stressful tests wouldn't be done to ensure no problems like these...? Thats one thing I remember about vibram when they came out and those ridiculous tests driving into stuff-- it worked!

:thmbup: Yeah makes me wonder what some of the issues 2 years and more from now with all these new companies, plastics/blends etc... It would surprise me that more stressful tests wouldn't be done to ensure no problems like these...? Thats one thing I remember about vibram when they came out and those ridiculous tests driving into stuff-- it worked!
And thats exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'll take a video of the whole thing.

I've not thrown either, but I've fondled both. While the grip is great, I wondered about the durability. Based on feel alone, I would expect that this plastic is less durable than Innova's Pro plastic, just prettier.

if somebody who has firsthand knowledge has posted this, i am unaware of it. will they exchange used overweight discs?

Prodigy released a statement through the PDGA about how they will return overweight discs. www.PDGA.com It's on the right-hand side under "Official Announcements"

Last edited:

Latest posts