• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

Iv'e been working a lot as of late. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow.
To add to this, I'm going to be throwing it into a concrete wall, spike hyzering it into the concrete, skipping it off concrete, etc. Any other ideas or what any of you would like to see done? Just to be clear, I do not hate these discs. I merely want to test the durability.

To add to this, I'm going to be throwing it into a concrete wall, spike hyzering it into the concrete, skipping it off concrete, etc. Any other ideas or what any of you would like to see done? Just to be clear, I do not hate these discs. I merely want to test the durability.

You're just going to ruin the disc. what's that prove? No discs take concrete well, seems silly

Drive it into a tree trunk, skip it off some rocky fairways, and spike hyzer it into a gravel path.

Those seem like more reasonable conditions that the disc would normally be exposed to.

BTW, I had the opportunity city to drive a D1 and The plastic felt great. However, the owner of the disc gave it a rip that kicked off a tree about 100' off the pad and it suffered some pretty big and deep scuffing. It wasn't left with any gouges, but the scuff was far larger than the tree hit would have led me to hypothesize that any Star/Gold Line equivalents would end up with.

Still, scuffing isn't too big of a deal. I'm really curious to see how the durability tests come out.

Proto vs First Run

How do the first runs and protos compare. is one more stable than the other. Im more interested in the d1's but I would love to hear about the d4 too. Thanks for any input

My D1 already looks like my beat S/DS Destroyer i have had for years.

I think they have GREAT feel and grip but that comes at the expense of less durability.

if i wanted to buy a new disc every 6 months i would buy base plastics at base plastic prices.. im a daily disc golfer though, so i get alot of use out of my plastic

Never thrown one but just my .02 -- the plastic looks lame as hell and the names suck.

That being said hope the best for the new company and glad they have a large following already!

I like them both.........D4's fly like my beat in *d destroyers to me......more glide though IMO. D1's are definitely more stable, but are comparable to my sds's and domey newer run *ds's. I'm having a hard time deciding if they will take over my destroyer slot in my bag because I've only been throwing them in Sub 35 degree weather.

How will they react to repeated use will be the real test for me. Also I love the feel of them both, but I am curious how they will feel when the temperature gets warmer (and how they fly in warmer weather).

As far as durability goes......I landed my D1 on a concrete sidewalk today (on a tombstone angle from a spike hyzer gone wrong) and there was barely a scratch and no dent or ding. All that talk about a disc hitting something and changing colors IMO must be an isolated incident.

FWIW......the D4 fly's farther than anything in my bag.......hands down.

My first run D1 is a bit more OS than my proto. However I would still not categorize it as over stable. It's like a fresh new run destroyer where my proto is like a slightly broken in fr destroyer. I'm likening the fr more due the extra fade/less high speed turn, yet it's still a let down as far as a high speed OVERSTABLE driver. The name let me compare it to the nuke os/ ape/ Excalibur/ pd2. It's more in the boss/destroyer/dominator/nuke/hurricane category.

I threw my d4 proto for the first time today. I love it. It's now my go to distance driver. I don't want to say the distance is effortless, but I was surprised at how well it threw for the amount of effort.

Picked up a Yellow 169 Proto D4 today and it is a bomber! I threw it on a variety of shots; uphill, slightly downhill, turnover, and also hyzer. For me it throws similar to my 162 champion wraith, but it tends to have a little bit more come back and more resistance to high speed turn, and it was flying about 50 feet further in comparison. My longest drive was in the 450 range on a marked driving hole, I threw a 157 blizzard Dominator on the same hole that was 30 feet short of the D4 (Similar lines). Very nice flight pattern and the plastic is tasty and grippy!

I also threw my friends 170 Blue D1 and based on my experience I won't be purchasing that model. Maybe I didn't throw it well, but I felt like it lacked the glide and get up and go that the D4 has. Based on the shots that I witnessed with it, it appears that it would be a great head wind disc and good for power flex shot/power forehand type players. Can't wait to test out the other models in the near future!

How far are you guys throwing these..? REAL golf lines too, not your DGCR in your bag vital max distance. . . lol

They are advertised with 2 years of R&D but don't see what makes them stand out from other similar high speed drivers?

also what exactly is this easy release technology?

Just got a 172 D4 this weekend. Man do these things go far. I'll throw it with hyzer and let it flip up to flat. Was hitting 370-380 on this line quite consistently. When I really let it rip from a slight hyzer the thing just flips to flat then slightly turned over and carries really far, I was hitting about 420 on this line several times.
They do have tons of low speed fade towards the end and gets some crazy skips. Also not good at all in a headwind. My only comparable disc would be my slightly beat 167 Wraith. Both similar flight path but the D4 is about 25ft longer on average and a lot more fade. So as far as easy distance this is a great disc just the intense skips made it hard to judge where and hit.

I'll be honest, I throw about 330 with a Teebird or Leopard and about 340 with a River. With the D4, I'm pushing 380. Maybe it's just a few speeds higher, I don't know, but I really feel like it's the first high speed driver I've clicked with.

Depending on the day, i can throw 450 to 475 golf shots, and though i haven't bothered with the D4, the D1 protos have been slightly flippy and really, really, surprisingly consistent. every time i'll throw it flat and it does the same thing: ride a super slow turnover then settle on center with the smallest amount of fade i've ever seen from a stable big D driver. Two of my throwers that have been getting the most action have started to get more turn, and now can be thrown with hyzer to flip flat, ride for the majority on a line, and do a SUPER mild fade at the end. All in all, I'd say these D1s have 30 feet of side to side movement for a 450 foot shot, compared to the 50 or more (including fade and skip) i had from a destroyer. I loved my destroyers, but these things kicked them out so fast, it's crazy.

Good posts-- sounds like they are some far flying drivers... Anyone want to tackle their patented "early release technology?" weird. lol

the early release tech is just a small bevel at the bottom corner of the wing (the last part your finger touches at the hit). it's a little steeper than a 45 degree angle and is a maybe half a millimeter.

Latest posts