• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D3 vs the Tern?

From your arm speed I would really stay away from things that are stable-overstable, especially bumping up from a 158g Tern. You can definitely go up to a heavier Tern, I would do that before a Shryke as the Shryke will likely be more stable. I double down on staying away from Katanas, especially in champ as I agree with Twmccoy that a bad champ Katana is just plain awful. I'd rather throw a Firebird because then at least the numbers agree with what it is doing and the rim isn't so large.

The Sorcerer is another option I don't know if you have looked at. Ignore the stated numbers on the Sword and Sorcerer. They are both a -1/1 type of flight. A guy I know who threw Terns a lot transitioned to a Sorcerer and it gave him a very similar neutral straight flight. These two discs feel more glidey and workable to me than a Shryke or Sheriff, which I believe are too much for your arm. The Havoc is another option, it's more in the -2.5/2 flight to me...lots of turn, lots of glide, lots of speed. Wide flight path but absolutely bombs. This is like how the Katana's numbers would make me expect a disc to fly. However it is much less consistent for me than a Sword or Sorcerer, those are much straighter. Havocs are tons of fun to throw, but again you lose some predictability. At your arm speed you may love it since it should give you some turn. Again, read reviews, the flight numbers are not -1/3 on this disc at all.

I don't doubt the D3 could be a good option, I just thought there was significant variation in their stability? Whereas every Sword and Sorcerer I have tried, which isn't very many but enough to see variation, none have been very overstable and all have been neutral and glidey unless beat in. They will become turnover discs when beat and you have power, but they go very far.

Last edited:
Went out today and threw a good bit with five of my distance drivers: Tern 158g Star, Fury 168g Opto, Wraith 163g Pro, Valkryie 168g DX, Beast 162g DX Glow.

The throws with the Valkyrie and Beast were pretty consistent with my RHBH....right, right, right, right, and then right. Both flew very understable. Don't think I'll be bagging either of them.

The Fury had a beautiful flight to it...heading out to the right but always coming back almost to center. I was very consistent with it, both in flight and distance. It normally landed between 10 and 20 feet right of target and usually about 30 feet shorter than the Tern.

I was surprised that I liked the Wraith as much as I did. The last time I tried it I found it to be way too overstable for my arm speed. Today it wasn't nearly as bad as I remember...it did typically end left of target but not by much (about 15-20 feet), and it was very long with a beautiful flight. I would say on average it was about 20 feet shorter than my Tern.

I really had great success with the Tern today. It almost always finished heading towards the intended target with a beautiful flight...starting out right but always coming back to center. It was clearly longer than the other four disc and had the most consistent flight and finish of all of them. I had my longest throw ever (only been playing a little over 7 months) with it at about 375 feet. What's crazy it that I when I threw it that far I didn't have my normal fast approach to my throw. I had noticed that I wasn't getting both my shoulders and hips rotated very far away from my target so I walked through the motion (left, right, left behind, plant right, rotate body) and then let the disc rip...best throw I've ever had. So after that I continued walking through my approach and my flight got more consistent and my distance never suffered.

Sorry to ramble. Really loved the Tern today...rethinking my need to go back to a 10/11 speed disc and got my mind on the Daedalus, Shryke, X4, D3, Thrasher type discs again.

Then again, maybe I'll just order another Star Tern (mine has a couple gashes in it)!

TripleB

^^So the Tern and Wraith worked and you need form work to throw the Beast properly. Glad that's settled! It's unfortunate that they are all in that horrid Innova plastic. Sexy trilogy plastic would make them fly longer, I'm sure of it.

What are the true numbers on the Tern?

I see 12/6/-2/2 on various sites but mine says 12/6/-3/2 on it.

Thanks!

TripleB

Would would I gain/lose moving from a 158g Star Tern to a 166g Star Tern?

Again, thanks to everyone for the input!

TripleB

TripleB

Maybe some stability gained, which means a bit of distance loss but slightly different and more consistent lines. It would be mostly PLH/wing height dependent, but I consider 166g into the range of "normal" weights while 158g I consider pretty light...so this is the range I would expect 8g to make the biggest potential difference. Plus since you have used the 158g a bit I would expect the 166g to be more stable. You've hit 375 so I don't think you need to stay sub 165g for all drivers, and getting closer to regular weights will open more options in the future.

I think this is a good choice, you seem to really enjoy the Tern so why not add another so you have multiples of the same mold that you know and like. Then you can do a direct comparison with weight/PLH difference. One might fly -2/2 and the other -1/2.5 for you, for example, which are both very good golf numbers for different shots so they don't overlap. Again, just saying they could be potentially different enough that it's a good thing, or they could be similar enough that you have two discs to practice with for re-throws and such. I don't think there's a downside since you like your Tern.

Also keep throwing your Pro Wraith. Wraiths are great, very consistent flights and what you give up in some speed they gain in consistency, so the moderate distance loss is worth it a lot of the time. Wraiths and Destroyers have a very similar shape and flight characteristics, with Destroyers generally having a higher power requirement. There's a reason most of the Innova pro's throw Destroyers so much, as they can get very consistent distance even though they aren't max rim width.

Last edited:
5 feet, more or less. Pick one, or both.

Maybe some stability gained, which means a bit of distance loss but slightly different and more consistent lines. I don't think there's a downside since you like your Tern.

Also keep throwing your Pro Wraith. Wraiths are great, very consistent flights and what you give up in some speed they gain in consistency, so the moderate distance loss is worth it a lot of the time.

Thanks for the input!

Based on which plastics I know I like, it's basically come down to either a 166g Star Tern, 158g Star Shryke, or a 164g 400G X4.

I'll keep working on that Wraith - as I said earlier, it was way out of my skill zone when I bought it but yesterday I threw a lot better than expected...once I get it to fly consistent for me I can think of at least 3 holes on my local course that it will work great!

TripleB

TripleB

I have a well worn 166g Star Tern that gives me a good s flight for 330 ft max d. I bought a new 154g Star Tern thinking maybe it would get me 10 or 15 ft more distance and I sure didn't expect it to fly like a Destroyer for me but it did. A brand new lighter Tern might fly shorter and more overstable so don't be surprised if it does... All I am saying is the condition of the Star plastic will effect the flight more than minor weight variation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

Based on which plastics I know I like, it's basically come down to either a 166g Star Tern, 158g Star Shryke, or a 164g 400G X4.

I'll keep working on that Wraith - as I said earlier, it was way out of my skill zone when I bought it but yesterday I threw a lot better than expected...once I get it to fly consistent for me I can think of at least 3 holes on my local course that it will work great!

TripleB

Get the 166g Tern. Then put the X4 on your "want list" for the next time.

If you're creeping up on 375', I'd recommend throwing the Tern for now and seeing how you like that Wraith as you progress. If you outgrow the Tern, the Wraith will probably be perfect. And you can keep beating it in in the meantime...

I used to throw pro and champ Tern and now bag only trilogy. The frost Havoc is the closest trilogy match I've found for the pro tern. If you get your speeds up the Destiny is the jam.

OK, humor me just for a second.

Which of the following would be the easiest loooooong distance driver for someone with a medium arm speed (but getting faster and more consistent) to throw straight as he improves?

Westside Destiny VIP
Westside King VIP or VIP Air
Dynamic Discs Renegade Lucid Air
Dynamic Discs Sheriff Fuzion
Dynamic Discs Trespass Fuzion or Lucid Air
Latitude 64 Bolt Opto or Opto Air
Prodigy D3 400G
Prodigy X4 400G

One of the three courses I normally play is pretty wide open so I'd like to throw a disc in the bag just to throw for the fun of it, thinking one day I'll reach that point where it will become my go to driver.

Thanks!

TripleB

I have not thrown the Prodigy discs, but have thrown all the others a few times in regular weights/not Air. Out of those I would say Destiny as it is pretty fast, understable, and will still flex out with medium arm speed.

Kings are all over and some are cruddy and waste lots of distance by flipping too much, and some bomb. Renegade is kind of inbetween in speed if your only goal is super fast/long, although it's fun to throw. Sheriff I think you'd have to put on a slight anny/flex to get max D with, it likes to be turned over to fight against it the whole flight and I think you need 350+ to hyzer flip it into that type of flight unless it is worked in. Trespass is a fantastic neutral/all purpose distance driver, likely the most controlled disc on that list but it is also likely not the absolute longest. Bolt I have found to be very uncontrollable.

I would add Havoc to that list, out of flippy fast drivers in the Trilogy lineup I think they are fun to throw and also go very far. I have had luck throwing them high and not getting too nose angle sensitive, while a lot of other drivers in that speed range will stall out a bit more and lose 30-50' on me with slight nose issues. They are more understable than the Sheriff so they will be easier for a medium arm to throw a hyzer flip to distance turnover shot.

Last edited:
^I can't edit above...

Basically TLDR of that is if you want a high speed disc to get used to it, and have it be controllable then I definitely recommend the Trespass. It is the closest to a fairway driver flight in a speed 11/12 disc I have found off the shelf. If you want distance lines and a very high speed disc, then I would look at a Havoc...it will have more wow factor but less control.

OK, humor me just for a second.

Which of the following would be the easiest loooooong distance driver for someone with a medium arm speed (but getting faster and more consistent) to throw straight as he improves?

Westside Destiny VIP
Westside King VIP or VIP Air
Dynamic Discs Renegade Lucid Air
Dynamic Discs Sheriff Fuzion
Dynamic Discs Trespass Fuzion or Lucid Air
Latitude 64 Bolt Opto or Opto Air
Prodigy D3 400G
Prodigy X4 400G

One of the three courses I normally play is pretty wide open so I'd like to throw a disc in the bag just to throw for the fun of it, thinking one day I'll reach that point where it will become my go to driver.

Thanks!

TripleB

Destiny is a good disc, but I'd recommend the Fuzion Sheriff. If you start overpowering it, then you can migrate to the Lucid Sheriff.

I haven't tried the D3 or X4, but I've heard good reviews.

For understable bombs I'll still take the Shryke over all the discs on that list.

I like the Destiny, but its so damn finicky. If it turns over even a slight bit too much it never comes back. Same for the King. The King is horribly unsatisfying to throw. You'll get 1 amazing long bomb followed by 15 rollovers. Not worth the trouble.

The Sheriff is stubborn. I have a Lucid one that won't really flex much. I can wrench it over anny, but it fades back much sooner than I'd like. Probably not understable enough for what you're looking for.

Bolt is too understable. Nearly impossible to throw hard and far. It barrel rolls even on hyzer releases.

The Trespass is a good choice. As mentioned, it isn't the longest disc on that list. It is a good, neutral flier though. It'll handle some big rips and go far, with a nice flexy S curve.

Prodigy D3 is another good choice. Noticeable high speed turn and great glide. Its in the realm of a Shryke for distance.

Another forgotten disc is the Lace. The Lace will absolutely bomb and it has some high speed turn.

I never liked the Havoc. Another disc that likes to flip and not even try to come back. Frustratingly bad for me. Good glide, but the Havoc is so touchy.

The Vulcan can also come into the mix. I've thrown some very good star Vulcans what will flex out for massive bombs without being too understable.

I'd take the Shryke, D3, and Lace for semi-understable discs, in that order.

For understable bombs I'll still take the Shryke over all the discs on that list.

I like the Destiny, but its so damn finicky. If it turns over even a slight bit too much it never comes back. Same for the King. The King is horribly unsatisfying to throw. You'll get 1 amazing long bomb followed by 15 rollovers. Not worth the trouble.

The Sheriff is stubborn. I have a Lucid one that won't really flex much. I can wrench it over anny, but it fades back much sooner than I'd like. Probably not understable enough for what you're looking for.

Bolt is too understable. Nearly impossible to throw hard and far. It barrel rolls even on hyzer releases.

Prodigy D3 is another good choice. Noticeable high speed turn and great glide. Its in the realm of a Shryke for distance.

The Vulcan can also come into the mix. I've thrown some very good star Vulcans what will flex out for massive bombs without being too understable.

Agree about the Destiny, it can be finicky, but it's a bomber. I gave it up because the rim was just too uncomfortably wide for my liking. The Bolt was okay for me, but kind of "meh". I should dig mine out and give it a few throws.

The Vulcan can be a great disc or a disappointment, depending how the one in your hand molded up.

As to the Sheriff, the Lucid ones (mine is a sparkle Lucid) are more overstable than the Fuzions. The Fuzions also wear in relatively quickly and can be really good bombers for the relatively noodle-armed throwers.