• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

Humphries should've been at the first tee in time to watch his card mates throw, if for no other reason than to get a wind read off of them.
Or be there to second a possible rules violation, such as a foot fault.

Not aware of any other sport that might be adjudicated by others or after the event is over for "sport" related calls. Football has allowed discipline related calls to be reviewed and judged after the fact which is actually good IMO.

With DG, I can see the provisional rules allowing an after the fact rule assessment. I'm still not inclined to think a non-official/player should be able to initiate a sports related rules call.
Ball golf. Players can (and do) call rules violations on themselves. I'm not sure it is still allowed, but there were many times a viewer called the PGA to report a rules violation on a player, the video was reviewed, and the player penalized well after the fact....sometimes even the next day.

Ball golf. Players can (and do) call rules violations on themselves. I'm not sure it is still allowed, but there were many times a viewer called the PGA to report a rules violation on a player, the video was reviewed, and the player penalized well after the fact....sometimes even the next day.
Wasn't aware of that. Not a fan of 3rd party officiating.

EDIT: Not talking about video review like is done in many sports today. Getting calls right in the moment has value.

Going back and reviewing a catch in football after the game is over would be a nightmare. It isn't completely impractical in golf because it is an individual sport and it just adds strokes to the score, but I still don't care for it.

Ad
Any time you state to the group or the TD that you are going to appeal the ruling you can play 'it' out. For example, if you think you are allowed a different lie and the card or TD says no. You can say you are going to appeal the ruling and play a provisional. You card two scores and then you take the appeal to the next higher level. Likewise, if you are ruled late and state you are going to appeal it, you can play the hole, mark two scores and then take it up with the next higher level.

I had a friend who had something happen similar to this and he believed the card that he couldn't play the hole. The TD wasn't there but was asked later and the answer was that he could have done what I said above....state he was going to appeal it, play the hole out and card both scores, then discuss it with the TD after the round.

In Luke's case, his appeal would have been to the PDGA.
Krupicka already answered that there is no appeal to PDGA in this case, only the TD. However, your premise herein is also incorrect. 801.03 B (appeals) and C allow a player to throw provisional(s) in order to appeal a GROUP decision -- not "any" decision. GROUP decisions typically refer to the status of a disc on the course or play on the course. In the OP's case, a Tournament Director made a decision to declare the player absent. THAT cannot be remedied by applying 801.03 at all. If, like you said, there was no TD, but rather the GROUP who declared him absent, then you *may* have a case for 801.03.

Ad

Krupicka already answered that there is no appeal to PDGA in this case, only the TD. However, your premise herein is also incorrect. 801.03 B (appeals) and C allow a player to throw provisional(s) in order to appeal a GROUP decision -- not "any" decision. GROUP decisions typically refer to the status of a disc on the course or play on the course. In the OP's case, a Tournament Director made a decision to declare the player absent. THAT cannot be remedied by applying 801.03 at all. If, like you said, there was no TD, but rather the GROUP who declared him absent, then you *may* have a case for 801.03.
Except the TD wasn't there to make the call.

Oh the new board of directors have met? It would be nice if they posted minutes of their meetings. Last one was from July.

D. If a group as a whole causes undue delay, each player may should be issued an excessive time violation by a Tournament Official (see 802.03, Excessive Time). Examples of this include:

1. A group remaining by the target of a completed hole to record scores.

Silly to include this in the rule. Stroke a whole card for take scores at the basket? Silly at best.

Silly to include this in the rule. Stroke a whole card for take scores at the basket? Silly at best.
Scoring should always be done at the next tee. Yes, getting scores at the basket might be best as everyone should be aware of their score right then and there, but the group behind is stuck waiting until the green is clear. Most times you are waiting on the next tee anyways, so that is the most appropriate place to gather the scores.

Along with delaying the following group by gathering scores at the basket, you also have to account for the time required for everyone to get out whatever they use for scoring (and if it is a phone, logging onto the phone), and then entering the scores. That can tie up a green/basket for too long.

. . . and yet somehow has enough charge to send/receive PMs all round, shoot videos, read/post on social media, stream Spotify to their earbuds. . .

You can grab a car phone charger or USB cable for a trivial amount of money in the checkout aisle at literally every pharmacy, grocery, gas station, quik mart, etc. in the US. I have no sympathy or patience left for those who are so ill-prepared for modern life that their battery is somehow "dead" on hole one of literally every single tournament they play.
Some of us have family in an alphabet agency that we don't want tracking us.

Scoring should always be done at the next tee. Yes, getting scores at the basket might be best as everyone should be aware of their score right then and there, but the group behind is stuck waiting until the green is clear. Most times you are waiting on the next tee anyways, so that is the most appropriate place to gather the scores.

Along with delaying the following group by gathering scores at the basket, you also have to account for the time required for everyone to get out whatever they use for scoring (and if it is a phone, logging onto the phone), and then entering the scores. That can tie up a green/basket for too long.

I have been playing for 10 years, and golf before that. I completely understand proper golf etiquette. Heck I had to teach someone this in a tournament last week.

And I understand the reason why the scored need to be taken at the next tee. But to codify it in rule and to implement the rule against MA2/MA3/MA4 that are playing in their first tournament is EXTREME. And if you want to see some pissed off disc golfer penalized the entire card for the mistake of one is not the way to go. This rule while having good intentions is going to be poorly implement more than once.

And having hole groups scoring is going to make the issue just worse in my opinion.

I have been playing for 10 years, and golf before that. I completely understand proper golf etiquette. Heck I had to teach someone this in a tournament last week.

And I understand the reason why the scored need to be taken at the next tee. But to codify it in rule and to implement the rule against MA2/MA3/MA4 that are playing in their first tournament is EXTREME. And if you want to see some pissed off disc golfer penalized the entire card for the mistake of one is not the way to go. This rule while having good intentions is going to be poorly implement more than once.

And having hole groups scoring is going to make the issue just worse in my opinion.
There will be some issues, there are with anything. But I am for the whole group keeping score. Back in the paper scorecard days, the rule was everyone had to share in the duties. Player one would keep score for x number of holes and then pass it to player two, etc. Then digital scoring came about and no one wants to hand their phone to someone else. So a single player became the score keeper. Then players found excuses to not keep score. I know one player who was 'caught'. He said he couldn't keep score because he only had a flip phone and would show it to the card. However, that turned out to be a 'throw away' phone and he had a smart phone. He got caught when he forgot to turn the ringer off and his real phone rang during a tournament. There have been 'arguments' at tournaments and leagues about who is going to keep score. I've had someone say they refuse to keep score and no one can make them keep the score. So I'm all for this rule. Like anything, there will be issues...but eventually it will become second nature. One of the main things I like about it is the penalty for turning in a wrong score....lets say I was keeping score for us and turned in a wrong score for you....you get a two stroke penalty. Under the new rule, the scorekeeper gets the two stroke penalty for a wrong score on the card.

Yes, all scorecards must be submitted.
F. All players are responsible for reconciling and submitting their copy of the scorecard within 30 minutes of when their group finished their round. A player who has not submitted their scorecard on time receives two penalty throws.

Latest posts