• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter driving?

I'm guessing I throw my Champ Rhyno just under 200ft. Most holes I use it on are sub 200ft and downhill. It flies very much like I expect, stable as hell with a predictable hard fade at the end. I just switched to that for putter driving from my DX Aviar P&As (which I used to throw dead straight ~200ft), partially because I wanted a durable driving putter which would sit down upon landing, partially because my mechanics are all wonky with putters and mids right now and I turn them over badly.

I'm very new to the sport, but getting the Rhyno has sold me on the notion that having a driving putter and a putting putter is a great idea.

XD_DX_Standard-1.jpg

Holes 275 or less, I tee with soft Ion's and Anode's. I do not use them for putting duties. I also us an ESP Zone as utility.

I drive with my putter quite often, I'm not big on slowing down my arm for a shot so I prefer to rip a driver than toss a driver or mid. Unless the hole calls for some crazy left to right or right to left movement.

depending on the layout of the hole 300' and shorter is my KC Pro Aviar.

This thread really piqued my interest, so I played a round at Cumberland (it's a pretty short course) with just my Medium Ridge and posted a 63, which I guess isn't too bad. But I'm not sold on driving with a putter. You can criticize my form or power all day, but I just can't get that thing out over 200. Like, 201 would be pushing it. If I need a short, straight shot I'm reaching for my Mako, Vector or Leopard.

By the time a putter has gone 550' you could walk back to your bag, get a drink, have a snack, double check the score card, and put your bag on.

Dude thats almost true. Part of the reason I do it it is becasue of how long and slow the flight is, it's just cool to watch. Ill post a few videos of me bombing some ions off top of the world so folks can see Im not BSing anyone.

I can throw up to 250' with an opto Pure. 225' with a Ridge, VP or Summit. My effective disc golf range is about 180'. If there's room for a putter within 180', that's always what I use. Powering down on a mid will usually be better for me when there is low overhang or it's over 180'.

The opto Pure is the best driving putter I've ever held in my hands. Vibrams are next.

This thread really piqued my interest, so I played a round at Cumberland (it's a pretty short course) with just my Medium Ridge and posted a 63, which I guess isn't too bad. But I'm not sold on driving with a putter. You can criticize my form or power all day, but I just can't get that thing out over 200. Like, 201 would be pushing it. If I need a short, straight shot I'm reaching for my Mako, Vector or Leopard.

This brings up a good point. I really like driving my putter and use it whenever I can. But not everybody I play with does, and sometimes even if they can, thy choose something else sometimes. At leagues one day this guy I play with threw a Gazelle where I throw my Anode. He hit the ace and cashed with a driver-so who cares what disc he used. He also beats me (and pretty much everybody else) every time.

No need to feel inferior or superior because of your disc selection. I do feel like theres definitely some of that on the Internet though...

I reach for my SS Wizard or SS Magic on 225' or shorter depending on wind/elevation/etc.

This brings up a good point. I really like driving my putter and use it whenever I can. But not everybody I play with does, and sometimes even if they can, thy choose something else sometimes. At leagues one day this guy I play with threw a Gazelle where I throw my Anode. He hit the ace and cashed with a driver-so who cares what disc he used. He also beats me (and pretty much everybody else) every time.

No need to feel inferior or superior because of your disc selection. I do feel like theres definitely some of that on the Internet though...
Agree. Sometimes I think I lose strokes because I throw a putter where a mid may be better. I read a story YEARS ago about a PGA pro talking to a group of kids about club selection, and how it wasn't always about hitting a club as hard as you could. He stepped up to the tee on a par three, and hit a drive over the green with a nine iron, just to show he could do it. He then pulled out a six iron and aced the hole.

Bottom line is you have to use what you are most comfortable with, and what works best with your game. I don't throw the same discs on a given hole as Avery or Cale or any of the others do, and I am surprisingly OK with that.

I personally like putters for most of the reasons already mentioned:

1. Accuracy and controlableness.
2. Dead-drop shots. There's always something to be said for a shot that you know will stick every time.
3. Super-tight lines. I find I can throw a much tighter S-Curve with an Ion than with a powered-down driver or mid.

However, my biggest issue is release. I've struggle with getting a consistent release on half-power drives. I'm working on modifying my driving grip so that may help.

Also, I drive with Ions, Anodes, and the occasional Rhyno.

^^^^ I think the quote from the matrix is right on here "stop trying to hit me and hit me" throwing putters should be approached like playing catch. Relax and throw comfortably.

I tee off with my putters quite a bit. Mostly on short holes and ones that are on a slope because they tend to not roll as much as a driver would. I also find that they are easier to control. I will also use a buzzz to tee off many times. My suggestion is to find a soccer field or any field and just practice tossing a putter back and forth with a friend. The putter that me and my buddies are into is of course the ion.

I throw a heavy Soft Magnet for every shot under 225' that I need to go perfectly straight, both off the tee and on upshots. I love how straight it flies and it never fades at the end, just drops. I used to use fairway drivers and mid-range discs for the same shots, but the results were inconsistent.

For me, I love driving with my wizard because I can drive it on a high line, and it will drop very straight and softly. Very unique trajectory for me.

Latest posts