• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting System

warship

I am trying to find out more information on players putting system and why they use that system. For example in John E McCray in the bag video he uses a softer wizard as his main putter and stiffer one for head wind putts and he also throws short upshots with them as well. This works for him but not for me. He also has 2 other wizards for driving. Ken Climo carries 3 aviars in different stabilities that he throws and putts with. I putt with hard judges and in the past year or so have noticed that my really broken in judges act straighter for long putts than a newer one. I have recently began purchasing new judges to use for only putting and not driving. This seams to be the most consistant for me and i am starting to sink long putts consintantly. What system do u use and why?

I have one proton Envy I use for everything. I use it for drives, upshots and putts. I want to get a soft Envy that is less beat for when I need more fade and to replace the proton for putts. I don't like changing out putters though for actual putting. I like to get used to one disc and go with that. I feel more consistent that way.

I carry five Aviars in different plastics and stages of wear to cover all my putting, upshots, and drives.

Once you find that special putter go ahead and invest in 6 or more of the same exact model down to weight stamp and color.

From there you just bring two or three of them with you when playing -two putter practice warmup before the round and maybe one for upshots. Then periodically cycle them so all 6 or more get a seasoned. Maybe just dedicate the two only for putting and have a different color or model for upshots.

Granted its easier to do with more common putters but online retailers like disc golf center you can get orders like 6 pink DX 175g aviar p&a's or 10 blue 175g magnets and great prices.

Putter setup:

2 McPro Aviars that get swapped back and forth, only used for jump putts and inside the circle. They hit chains and basket more than the ground.

1 KC Pro Aviar for overstable or wind approaches and drives

1 Nova for straight or turnover approaches and drives

The reason for the setup: I practice and play rounds with the McPros and using them just for putting keeps them in better condition longer. A lot of our courses have rocks that can do a number on discs. Also, if I only use the discs that I play rounds with to practice I can develop a great feel for them and as they wear in I naturally adapt.

The approach discs are pretty self explanatory. The KC just gets straighter as it beats in and the Nova gets less stable so in a worst case scenario I just need to buy a new KC.

I drive and upshot with a proton envy anything up to about 250.

I putt with a soft neutron envy. I also use the neutron envy for short upshots that need to stick.

I have one proton Envy I use for everything. I use it for drives, upshots and putts. I want to get a soft Envy that is less beat for when I need more fade and to replace the proton for putts. I don't like changing out putters though for actual putting. I like to get used to one disc and go with that. I feel more consistent that way

I used this system for a while as well and it worked pretty good. The more advanced Im getting at putting with my judges the more Im begining to realize the importance of a having putters strictly for putting and putters strictly for driving. For a while I had 2 putters strictly for putting...1 very broken in for long putts and a new one for short putts but latley im noticing I am more proficient with just 1 putter for short and long putts and having 3 putters for driving and upshots. Anyone go through something similar?

I have four putters in my bag although technically Dynamic Disc's calls the Suspect a mid range. It has the same specs as the Westside Harp which is a putter so go figure. I generally approach with the Suspect. Throw drives with my Pure. Putt with my Swan. The Swan is nice and soft and sticks to the chains. I carry a hard Swan to throw annoys with but that is a rare occasion.

Super flippy polecat for putts that need to travel right a long way. Everything else is a seasoned kc aviar. I drive with it too because the more it beats the more I like it. I really only need three. One fresh, two seasoned. The polecat rarely, if ever, sees a putt. They are strictly for driving and approach.

I use a medium Summit for nothing but putts. Circle putts and jump-putts. No need to cycle b/c rubber don't front like that. I use a Polecat for long approaches and running at the chains, best lay-up/go for it approach disc ever. I drive with a Breaker and sometimes Polecat if it requires finesse.

I really like my 'one putter for all putts' system b/c it seems to build consistency.

For putting putters I have 4 175g classic blend wardens, all the same color and I can't tell the difference between any of them, on purpose of course. That way I can't blame the putter because all 4 act exactly the same. I start the round with practice putts with all 4 of them. When I'm done I usually wait till I'm outside of comfort range and only hit 2 of the 4 from whatver distance and grab the two I made and stick them In the putter pocket on the side of my bag and use those two for the round. And take the other two and stick them in the side pocket and zip it up and forget that they are there till the next time I play. As I play I always alternate the two I'm using by sticking the one I just used in the inner slot and always grab from the outer slot so that one doesn't get used more than the other one. Only other thing I do is I never throw upshots or drives with my wardens. I only use them with intentions of hitting the chains so thy all get beat up the same amount. I'm pretty anal about my putting putters. Then I have two dx aviars and a kc aviar for drives and upshots. There even more superstitious madness begins with that....

I like simple. I started with classic Aviar, love how it floats straight. Didn't like how touchy the HSS can be when driving. I went to a Wizard and learned to putt with it, as it beat in to straighter that improved. Driving the Wizard is much easier. But it got used so much over time that it became less reliable for driving, with the gouges and cuts.

I now use Anodes...fly like a seasoned Wizard but out of the box. Plus they are farther. Plus they don't really wear down much from what I've seen so far. And I love how they putt. Way better in the wind than Aviars too.

I want to use the same disc for putting and approaching, and going with premium plastic allows me to not worry about "harming" my putting putters by driving or approaching them. The Anode just works all around for me for that. I love how it feels for putting, but driving it's not 100% perfect. But the feel is fine enough for driving that I do it and it keeps everything consistent. I don't want to think "this is my <250' disc, this is my <150' disc, this is my jump putt disc, this is my circle putt disc." I just want to know the same one and how it reacts.

gstarrr aviarD for stable-overstable drives and upshots. beat dx aviar for understable drives and up shots. dx aviar for putts only.

Now, I have been mixing this up ALOT, but I think I have it figured out for the most part.
So I carry:
2 premium Jokeris - main putters, and windy approaches.
Classic Blend Judge - main approach disc
Lucid Judge - little more stable - but less grip
Very beat Classic Warden - with the wind shots/turn over putter.

I also rotate in an Ion, best long approach on calm days.
A Summit, turnovers, and Turbo Putt (pizza slice) king.
Salient Touch - very much like a judge, I don't really use it a lot, but I want to. Great in the wind.
Discraft Magnet/soft magnet - "in trouble" putter. Light reliable fading putter for those awkward stance, next to the bush, have no room to work putts.

Last edited:
I always putt with 1 putter and nothing else. Currently it is a 165g Soft Proto Envy, and has been since last winter.

The driving putters see more rotation. Currently....

175g Soft Envy
175g Proxy
175g Credo

I was carrying more Envys, like a second seasoned 165, but the Proxy has been taking over some Envy shots for me.

I rotate putters a lot, currently have a extremely beat Rpro Aviar as my main putter for anything under 30ft or odd angles. For long putts I have a Sonic, just a flick of the wrist and it flys straight and far. Then I rotate a Cryztal Challenger, Pig and Zone for my upshot/over stable putter that can be used as a disarm anny putt if I'm stuck in a weird position.

I have a putter that I use for just putts, a Star San Marino beadless Aviar.
If I am putting into wind or downhill, I will use a Pro Pig, because it will not glide and will not roll.
My driving putter is a D Ringer.

I use a Breaker for driving off the tee or when I need an upshot to finish to the left.

1 McPro that I use for jump putts and upshots

1 McPro that only gets used for putting.

When the upshot McPro gets really beat up and too flippy (it takes a long while) I move my current putter into this spot and start with a fresh McPro putter since I like a clean rim to putt with.

Once I found the batch of McPro's I liked the most, I ordered a pile of them from the Proshop.

I use 2 D challengers. One is newer and used for putting and driving. I also have a habit of losing putters, so that helps me keep cycling them :) Then I have a beat one that was more understable than any chally I had owned before that, and it annoyed me. So after about 30 full power slams into a concrete tee pad, it holds any straight or anny line nicely.

I think I'm going to switch putters for something with more durability, but will probably wait until spring and the nicer weather.

I carry
* 400 Pa4 for driving/upshots : Understable, glide, anhyzers, Straight
* 400 Pa1 for driving/upshots : Straight-Stable, Overstable, Hyhzers, windier upshots.
* 300 Pa3 for majority of putting within 40 ft. It can do it all, also for shorter approaches that stick
* 300 Pa1 for situational putts, windier putts and Longer hyzer runs at the basket

The bulk of my putting is with the Pa3.

Latest posts