• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] (Q) JLS

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/qjls
Millennium already got the JLS reapproved in Quantum with 21.2cm diameter with 176g max weight back in 2002.

They have been digging out some old boxes of X-outs and putting new/old stock stamps w/o run numbers on them. You can generally see the penned X on the tops of the disc + no run number identifier on stamp or debossed into the bottom middle.
Prices seem pretty high for old X outs.

I could imagine back in 2020-2021 when inventory was fubar that they would have had a hard time gettin anything in stock and expensive old X outs would have sold since people were buying anything they could get their hands on, but at this point they seem like expensive X outs.

1.13 Quantum Luster JLS finally went in the basket yesterday for an Ace! Been mostly ITB since early 2018 (most senior disc ITB), only lost it once and found + bought back from PIAS. Still holding a great stability after all these years. Might be time to start working in one of the backup 1.13s I purchased when I lost it :D

Hole 6 at Water Works pin B
c73c4359.jpg

2dcf07ce.jpg

Grats on the ace! That's a cool hole to get!

Also the Luster Q-JLS is awesome, and it was the first JLS that I clicked with. I bag 4 JLS now, and have a stack of replacement M, S, and a couple new Qs, but the Luster Q-J is still my most coveted. I have two backups and would snag more in a heartbeat.

I've only had my Luster Q-J returned twice, and I still dont have any aces, but it's allowed me to access several birdies I wasnt getting to reliably before.

I have a Swirl and some QJs. Might even have a splatter.

I haven't thrown them. I've been running Exodus (Eagle L).

What am I missing?
For what reasons should the Exodus come out and the QJ go in?

I dont think Innova / Millennium makes a bad speed 7 fairway.

The only reason I would suggest trying something else is if you dont love what you're throwing, try the others until you make that soul connection.

As for what they're like, M-JLS start fairly HSS and have good fade. They develop high speed turn before they loose fade, which makes them great for shaping in woods. These season up pretty quick and then stay in a sweet spot for quite a while.

Sirius / Star has been the most stable for me. I only have a few of these from mixed runs and dont throw them as much.

QJs are like old mellow (pre-Brinster) teebirds. Mild turn, mild fade - hard to mess up.

I dont think Innova / Millennium makes a bad speed 7 fairway.
Pretty much this.

Eagles have that early turn/buncha fade thing. TeeBirds have that no early turn/less fade thing. The JLS to me was the HSS of an Eagles with the fade of a TeeBird. So if you are throwing an Eagle or Eagle variant and you are depending on that late fade, you don't want a JLS. If you throw an Eagle and like the early turn but wish it didn't fade as much, the JLS is the logical step.

If you are throwing an Eagle or Eagle variant and you wish it didn't have so much early wiggle, you should be looking at a TeeBird or a TeeBird variant.

So it kinda depends on what the Exodus/Eagle L does or doesn't do for you.

Last edited:
I have a Swirl and some QJs. Might even have a splatter.

I haven't thrown them. I've been running Exodus (Eagle L).

What am I missing?

I'd probably say the JLS can hold a turn through the low speed flight for longer than a Exodus and fills the US fairway flight more easily. If you pair a different US mold with the Exodus then you are probably fine. I have experienced a little less consistent flight (nose angle sensitivity?) from flat L bottom 7 speed TL/TL3/Eagle L/Exodus vs. the concave type rim of the JLS. It should be noted that the Polaris LS has the same rim as the JLS but a different flatter top (Cheetah/Eagle?).

JLS rim width is slightly narrower than the Eagle/Teebird (X & L). The concave rim + Teebird top/dome combination produces a pretty straight stable & neutral disc in the Quantum plastic. Hyzerflip to fade/straight/turn are all possible with different release speeds/spin. I find the flight really predictable for Quantum after the initial wear in period even in normal wind conditions. Primarily I've thrown the more recent 1.12-1.15 Q runs + a older Lunar Q run so I can't speak to older runs/plastics.

Stock Sirius and Millennium standard blend JLS tend to be less straight stable and produce more turn. Can't speak to the Swirly Sirius but the stiff Splatter run produced a 3+ years back tended to be more like the Quantum and almost Teebird stable. I've found the Sirius runs usually have the most dome as well. Standard blend ones are pretty nice and develop a very Pro Leopard like flight (6/5/-2/1).

The current runs have been domey in all plastics.

I love the concept of run numbers, I just wish they would print them in the stamp consistently.

The flattest runs I have are old starship stamped / patent number Millennium (pro), followed by old 'big letter' Quantums.

There is a very active JLS collectors group on facebook that could give you a super detailed answer to this question.

I have a couple of 1.11 metal flake QJLS's that are fairly flat. They are excellent in the woods. I also have a 1.9 metal flake QJLS that has a bit of dome. Not a pop top but similar to more recent Millennium standard runs. Just got that one this week and have not had a chance to throw it yet.

Latest posts