• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about Distance

mSchmoe41

Is there a distance that one should be expecting to be throwing after a certain time of playing?

The years playing on the profile is not entirely accurate. I am not sure how to change it. I have been on and off for 4 years it just has become more serious in the past 2 years.

I went out and threw in a grass covered football field today and was trying to practice gaining some more distance. Something I plan on doing so I can work on distance, form, accuracy and keep the arm strong. I recorded the estimated distance the discs went. The average distance after 7 throws was around 270 feet(averaged it out from 269) maxing out at 312 ft. I was using distance drivers and 1 fairway driver and at times I was out driving my distance drivers with my fairway driver.

In your opinion, is this at least a good place to be? I have been seeing my scores start to lower but I know it is not because of distance. I have been working on my mid game and putting a good amount so I have been seeing some vast improvement. Distance has now became the issue, assuming this is a bad place to be.

Everyone is different. Some people break 400' in a month, some people play for multiple decades and never flirt with that kind of D.

A lot of it depends on your priorities; are you putting 5-10 hours in every week to improve your form? Or are you going out on the weekends with a six pack and some friends, just looking for a fun time?

Also injuries will come into play.

I know plenty of people that have played as long as you or longer that throw as far as you. If you want to improve your distance, I'd suggest posting a form video from multiple angles here, reading the technique section and browsing tutorial videos on youtube every week, and hitting the practice field for at least 3x 1 hour sessions each week.

I learned to throw far by reading DGR at night, and going to empty fields in the day. Did that for a summer and it did the trick.

Like Mike C. said... it really depends on what your goals are.
On the weekends, there are a couple guys in our group that strive for distance.
They could care less if they miss 15 foot putts as long as they can chuck a drive out there in the 400 foot range. ( and they only have to hit ONE and you hear about it for a month. )

Personally, I'm happy with a 330... 350 foot drive that USUALLY lands somewhere close to where I wanted it to... get up and in for par on the long holes and shave strokes off my score with accurate shots on the short ones.

I'm NOT gunning for the pro tour though.... my goal is just to develop a solid game and still have FUN while playing. Of COURSE I'm happy when I get the timing and form right and my drive goes farther than I thought... But am MUCH happier ( and happier a lot more often ) when a well thrown upshot
crashes the chains and saves me a stroke.

I'm certainly no expert but it seems to me that if you can hit 275-300 with decent accuracy, you'll do just fine on the majority of courses out there. Most of the people I see at the weekly leagues and local tournaments max out at 300-350. My point is, don't worry too much about the "Big D". However, if you really want to get past that, you should study the videos, etc. and put in a lot of field time.

I'm a geezer (49) in my third season. I read the forums, watch the instructional videos, and play 3 times a week. And once in a while I can hit 250. Just a little perspective from the cheap seats.

It seems like you are sill arming it. I've read that men max out at about 300 ft when just arming it (women ~250). What does that mean? It means your form is not allowing your legs and hips to whip your arm.

If you post a video of yourself throwing, either here or on reddit, people will give you pointers.

There's a good video of Simon Lizotte doing a clinic on youtube, it helped me a little. I think its called flying circus. (it may be recorded on a phone f.y.i.)

I'm a geezer (49) in my third season. I read the forums, watch the instructional videos, and play 3 times a week. And once in a while I can hit 250. Just a little perspective from the cheap seats.

I'm 49 also but definitely not a geezer. I'm always flattered when the young guys I play with ask what I just threw , lol. I played for 3 years, took 14 off and just started again. The best advice I can give is watch videos, play with people who are better than you are and watch what they do, and go to the soccer field and empty your bag once in a while.

I played racquet ball for a few years so the backhand motion comes natural to me.

Latest posts