• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rant about complaining at Worlds.

I think some people are only capable of having fun if they're bitching about something. :\

I competed in this years Pro Worlds in the Open division and really enjoyed trying to beat the courses even though I would consider my effort far from satisfactory, haha.

The point I want to make is simple. I cannot understand the point of competitors complaining about course design flaws or distractions mid-competition. It makes no sense to me. You have agreed to compete on this course at this time against this field. What good is complaining going to do you? You should only be thinking about overcoming said obstacles.

After one of my rounds I had the opportunity to watch the lead Masters card for a round and then again in the final 9. It honestly made me sick watching Moser mutter and complain about someone distracting him (for the tenth time) that was 90 degrees from the basket and 60ft away from him. You're in a PUBLIC park! Or when Climo spent 5 full minutes complaining about a sign that was in the ground that he felt was too close to the basket at Deer Lakes hole 16 because he missed his putt. You know what? That sign has probably been there for 20 years. It was certainly there the day he practiced the courses and if it is so important then he should have paid attention and recognized that it was an obstacle to be accounted for. How about Patrick Brown actually complaining that a spectator called "Fore!" during his run up on the tee of 17? A disc from another fairway was coming right at him and the lead card group. This spectator had his safety in mind and he felt it necessary to criticize the gesture. btw he was able to stop in time and start another run up without distraction.

Golf is a game that rewards the SKILL of distraction management. You cannot eliminate distractions, you have to manage them. Some of the time that means you can politely ask someone to move or allow yourself extra time until you are not distracted but most of the time it means you must perform at a high level despite the obstacles and distractions. I mean where do these guys play/practice that is so perfectly ideal that coming to a tournament is such a huge departure and distraction for them? You might as well practice on purpose with more distractions than normal to increase your tolerance of them!

At this time in our sport we play in public parks and university campuses and there are going to be a ton of distractions. If you are playing in the World Championships then there are going to be 300+ people following you around that can't all be perfectly still or perfectly quiet. Can't handle that? Don't play! I was disappointed how whiny and complainy some of these guys were. When you are a Champion it means you champion things, you overcome things, you beat things. Not just the other players but the course and the obstacles, the distractions, the bad breaks, all of it.

So for those of you who've read this far, do yourself and the game of Disc Golf a favor next time you choose to compete . . . commit to be positive and commit to overcome whatever comes your way.

I completely agree and I love this post. I was at Deer Lakes Thursday and Friday and saw some of the things you mentioned. Alternatively, when the lead Master card was too much for me to take, I started watching the second card and those guys were super classy and more laid back.

I'd like to start a "harden the f up" campaign for these tournaments. Deer Lakes is a public park. I watched some dude tell his Mom she shouldn't have locked her car on 17 because it made a beep beep sound when someone was preparing to drive. These people need to get over themselves. How dare there be the noise of gravel under someone's feet 30 feet away from a guy preparing to chuck some plastic in a public park!?

The PB thing on 17...hilarious. That disc from 18 actually nailed a spectator who was too focused on PB driving and was hanging out in the road. Luckily it still went inbounds as it was a lefty drive that went over the road on purpose. And yes, there were volunteers trying to get people out of the road. According to one of the volunteers I talked to, PB didn't make any bad throws for that whole round. Any mistake he had was blamed on spectators distracting him.

Very nice post, thank you.

As has been stated many times here, top level players get there following certain pathways. The notion that these guys pick and moan as a way to control their environment and success in the game is pretty well founded, and I think has to be expected. What is beginning to get to me is the observation that these guys don't just piss to control their environment, but to impact their fellow competitors. That does bug me. When you're calling things on your competitors, that aren't being called on you, not because you think they are really gaining an advantage, but because it impacts their game, you're a bit of a prat.

I dont always complain about complainers, but when I do, I call it a rant.

J/K this is the reason I stopped buying Destroyers. Had 70+ pre-avery, then I refused to purchase anything with his name on it. Same with Feldberg. Gonna have to find tournament stamps for Leo's, Rocs, and anything with KC name on it, now.

I dont always complain about complainers, but when I do, I call it a rant.

J/K this is the reason I stopped buying Destroyers. Had 70+ pre-avery, then I refused to purchase anything with his name on it. Same with Feldberg. Gonna have to find tournament stamps for Leo's, Rocs, and anything with KC name on it, now.

Lol, I hear ya Mark. The difference, I think, is that the point of my "rant" is to promote positive change. Unlike what these guys are doing out on the course. In general my rule on complaining is don't do it if you have no intention of being part of a solution.

Bottom line, this kind of attitude on the course will not make you a better player and it sure doesn't help the sport of Disc Golf any.

Right there with you on this.

Luckily we have young guys like McBeth that behave with total class and guys like Lizotte that know how to remember to have fun.

Yea, I think it is ok to complain, but not infront of the people that worked and not in a negative way. People should always be able to take feedback.

I talked to Paul at Am Worlds... he said Nevin was his favorite Charlotte course from that 2012 worlds. Avery said it was terrible and he would never play it in a tournament again in a rant on FB....so I guess its my life calling to get more NT's and Worlds to Charlotte that play Nevin in multiple layouts.

Speaking of distractions, does anyone know what was going on when Paul McBeth was on his "victory lap" a.k.a. the final 9. Paul had to reset three times and smiled as he dropped in the short putt- despite the apparent ongoing distraction.

Anyone know what was going on? Did someone yell Babba-Bouy?

McBeth was far ahead at that time and could only smile, but what if it was a tie game like last years final. Would everyone be all smiles?

Speaking of distractions, does anyone know what was going on when Paul McBeth was on his "victory lap" a.k.a. the final 9. Paul had to reset three times and smiled as he dropped in the short putt- despite the apparent ongoing distraction.

Anyone know what was going on? Did someone yell Babba-Bouy?

McBeth was far ahead at that time and could only smile, but what if it was a tie game like last years final. Would everyone be all smiles?

It just looked like a smile. He was actually devouring the soul of every disc that had laid to rest in that basket.

Had to watch again to see if I missed something. It was hole 6 of final 9 CCDG just said wild spectator in the croud, don't be that guy.

I did turn up the volume full blast & did not hear anything.

Know why the guys don't call Nikko on his 30 second violations? Because he's "icing" himself like a football kicker. The more he sits and stews on it, the greater chance he'll miss. I'd let him take as long as he wanted on my card. Don't need him pissed off and putting by feel like he used to. He'd make them all then. Just like him talk himself out of it in his noggin'...

Sooo, this is a thread to complain about pros complaining at worlds...

Nope. This thread identifies a problem we have in our sport and promotes positive change. Thanks for contributing.

This thread isn't a promotional effort to improve the image of disc golf, it's a complaint thread so I don't have anything to contribute.

Now the display of camaraderie on the lead women's card, that's something that can only lead to an improved image of disc golf.

This thread isn't a promotional effort to improve the image of disc golf, it's a complaint thread so I don't have anything to contribute.

Now the display of camaraderie on the lead women's card, that's something that can only lead to an improved image of disc golf.

Except to complain about the thread to complain about pros complaining. :|

Know why the guys don't call Nikko on his 30 second violations? Because he's "icing" himself like a football kicker. The more he sits and stews on it, the greater chance he'll miss. I'd let him take as long as he wanted on my card. Don't need him pissed off and putting by feel like he used to. He'd make them all then. Just like him talk himself out of it in his noggin'...

Lol! Exactly. Assessing his mental game, I almost feel sorry for him.

Latest posts