• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right Hand Forehand Throws Just banking hard Left

discmeettree

Par Member
I was trying to throw some forehands today at the field and man, the discs would just bank up hard left and then some of them literally rolled and rolled and rolled for a LONG time. :thmbdown:

I got the champion Sidewinder to fly somewhat correctly on one throw when I was trying really hard to get the disc more level. It still looked pretty nasty though and went pretty high up in the air.

How do you guys keep the nose down and get them to fly out flat? :confused:

I used to do the same thing and it's OAT all the way. Eliminate any run up, use straight drivers (for me they were TDs and leopards) and concentrate on keeping your Palm to the sky. Keep throwing and it will happen

More hyzer(finish palm up), and/or a more stable disc. You might want to learn that FH roller though, it's a good shot to have. Getting your weight forward will help keep the nose down as will more snap.

OAT/wrist roll. Make sure your palm finishes pointing toward the sky.

This. Keep throwing the sidewinder, understable discs will help you learn proper FH form faster. Overstable discs mask form flaws more easily.

FWIW, a Star Sidewinder was what I really learned to FH with. :hfive:

More hyzer/ more stable discs will mask the problem and probably still won't help
We don't really know how he is throwing them. He said he got the Sidewinder to go throwing it more level. More level from anhyzer I suppose given the info we have. At any rate a Sidewinder will turn and burn thrown level or anhyzer with out throwing it quite high. More hyzer will help. If he is throwing level/flat a more stable disc is needed. FWIW I also learned throwing FH with a Sidewinder hence my screen name.

We don't really know how he is throwing them. He said he got the Sidewinder to go throwing it more level. More level from anhyzer I suppose given the info we have. At any rate a Sidewinder will turn and burn thrown level or anhyzer with out throwing it quite high. More hyzer will help. If he is throwing level/flat a more stable disc is needed. FWIW I also learned throwing FH with a Sidewinder hence my screen name.

Another tip - listen to what this guy says.

This. Keep throwing the sidewinder, understable discs will help you learn proper FH form faster. Overstable discs mask form flaws more easily.

FWIW, a Star Sidewinder was what I really learned to FH with. :hfive:

^This, and when mine beat to rollers I used a Ch Wraith for awhile...short while.
Although now I mostly flick FBs destroyers (where needed) and drones (buzzes/rocs/putters out of the rough though)

One common issue I find with people who have that result throwing forehand is that you may not be keeping your elbow tucked into your side. It should be next to your hip. That and finishing with your palm facing up.

Keep palm facing the sky, make sure your arm isn't raising any and it stays at a 90 degree angle with your body, and keep working at it!

Grip can make all the difference. I found the 2 finger grip to give me lots of power but I had no control, tons of OAT, and subsequently either rolled them over or sawed them off early trying to overcompensate. Try using a 2 finger stack grip with your index bent and your middle straight...both pressing on the inside rim. Once I did this I was able to finally throw clean hyzers with confidence and accuracy.

Karate chop across the top of a table and keep your elbow in, and don't roll your wrist as previously stated. If your just starting out with FH then the sidewinder is probably plenty stable. I have a buddy that can FH hyzer flip them a country mile.

Short answer.
Stop throwing flippy ****, throw something overstable.

Long answer.
You can throw that Sidewinder FH, but you better put ALOT of sky between it, and the ground. If it has enough room , it will eventually flex out.
Throwing a more stable/overstable disc will mean the disc will flex out faster, so you can throw it on flat, low lines easier.
You could try a "speed" stable disc, like an Xcaliber, or a "true" overstable disc, like a Flick, or a Firebird.

Palm up, elbow in, throw a little higher than you think you need to!

Also, work on throwing lids (especially an Ultrastar!) FH, really helps you develop a smooth, strong snap. I've been playing catch with an ultimate disc and it has really helped my FH game (mainly my approach game, so not sure how relevant this is for driving).

Whatever you do, don't try to learn fh with a flick or firebird. You'd be better of learning with stable mids and putters.

How does that particular sidewinder fly for you on a bh drive? How were you releasing the disc in regards to power and release angle?

I will second keeping the palm up and eliminating the run up for now. Depending on how flippy your Sidewinder is you might want to throw a more stable disc like a TL/Viking/JLS/Volt or something in your bag that's pretty straight and not too overstable.

Thrown smooth and under 350' Sidewinders, Roadrunners etc are just fine for FH if they arent too beat and you don't have a headwind. Just focus on being smooth. Its better to throw 200' with control than 300' inconsistently. Distance comes with practice, focus on control.

Also I tend to get OAT more easily on a fh going for a hyzer line. For me with a fh it was easy to start hyzer and release flat, causing severe wobble, when I was teaching myself fh hyzers. Flat release is the easiest to learn.

Short answer.
Stop throwing flippy ****, throw something overstable.

Long answer.
You can throw that Sidewinder FH, but you better put ALOT of sky between it, and the ground. If it has enough room , it will eventually flex out.
Throwing a more stable/overstable disc will mean the disc will flex out faster, so you can throw it on flat, low lines easier.
You could try a "speed" stable disc, like an Xcaliber, or a "true" overstable disc, like a Flick, or a Firebird.

This is hands down the worst advice I've ever seen on DGCR

The Sidewinder when I actually stroke a nice shot backhand (still very inconsistent) will actually turn over for me to the right, and then flatten out and then come down left very nicely. That is like a once in 20 throw though, most of the time it just flies flat and then tails left and hits the ground. LOL