• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc for putting

I gotta share this little tid bit too. Since we can get our favorite feeling putter in many colors. Try doing that. Get 5 different colors of your favorite putter and that way when you go play it will look a little different each round. Just keep swaping colors and you are more likely to treat it as a new putter again and again. :cool:

I am pretty new to disc golf and have struggled with putting. I don't ever hear anyone mention this disc and never see anyone play with it but the Innova Polecat really helped my putting. It has a feel more like a traditional frisbee and I threw those for years so I am more comfortable with it for now. It does what I tell it to and really seems to grab the chains well.

For longer or windy putts I've been using the Innova Spider 175 grams...works well

I have tried the Arrow...I've not been able to get the feel for it :(

I like the Rhyno for longer putts, especially in windy conditions. My aviar and sonic tend to turn anhyzer at longer distances, which is only amplified by the wind.

I see nothing wrong with using different putters in different situations near the basket. Use every advantage you can, including the fact that there's no limit to the amount of discs you can carry.

I just got a free Glow Roc with a membership, its my first time throwing a Roc. Went to the first basket and started putting with it, hit 9 out of 10, then from the same distance with my putters only hit 5 of 10. I'm about to bench my putters in favor of the Roc. Is this a fluke or do some people use Rocs as putters ? Putting is the best part of my game, and this is really freaking me out. I'm soooo confussed !!!

I like to use a buzzz on my putts. This is probably because I'm putting from 50' out most the time because I sux at this game.

Some people use a Classic Roc, which is a bit different than a regular Roc. That said, though; if something happens to my putters for some reason in a round, I would reach for my Roc to fill in if I had to.

Mid-ranges have better glide and thus slower drop rates than putters. What is happening is that players who have little confidence with their putters are not able to find the sweet spot where it will have the proper glide with the proper power needed. You are scared of over-powering the putter because with any disc, the more power you apply, the less accurate you become. By using a mid, you can dial back on the power and thus have greater control.

The problem with putting with a mid is that since they have better glide; if you miss you are more likely going to miss further away than if you were to miss with a putter. Because putters have faster drop rates than mids, they will stall closer to the basket. This is crucial if you are making a long distance putt you do not anticipate making and thus want to at least land close for an easier second putt.

Putting with a putter is not a rule. You can putt with anything you like. However, some tournaments require that you declare before the round what disc is going to be your putter. I believe this is an older rule that has been removed, but I have heard of some more competitive leagues and tournaments that still require this.

If you feel more comfortable putting with a mid, go for it. Like I said earlier, it has a slower drop rate which means that it glides perfectly with the power you feel comfortable giving it. When I get in a putting funk, I have no qualms switching to my Star San Marino Rocs or my Star Ontario Rocs. In the past I have also used my FLX Drone and Z Buzzz. Heavy TeeBirds work well and I have a friend who almost exclusively uses his FLX Avenger SS for putting.

Wow, some good info here, thanks people. I've got a lot to think about now before picking a putt disc.

I use a Cro a lot for putting.
Kinda weird, but if I have a really good shot that gets close with a disc other than a putter, I have to use that disc to hole out. It (the disc) 'earned' it with such a good flight, haha.(

I mean if i made 9 out of 10 putts with a nuke I would use a nuke to putt. But I know a lot of people will buy a mid before a putter and putt with the mid. So if it works go with it!

i need to start using my z buzzz for really long putts.

i keep forcing myself to use my aviar, even when the putt is so long that i have to throw backhanded instead of using a putting stance.

i has no skillz

Mid-ranges have better glide and thus slower drop rates than putters. What is happening is that players who have little confidence with their putters are not able to find the sweet spot where it will have the proper glide with the proper power needed. You are scared of over-powering the putter because with any disc, the more power you apply, the less accurate you become. By using a mid, you can dial back on the power and thus have greater control.

The problem with putting with a mid is that since they have better glide; if you miss you are more likely going to miss further away than if you were to miss with a putter. Because putters have faster drop rates than mids, they will stall closer to the basket. This is crucial if you are making a long distance putt you do not anticipate making and thus want to at least land close for an easier second putt.
Saves me from needed to type it.

Putting with a putter is not a rule. You can putt with anything you like. However, some tournaments require that you declare before the round what disc is going to be your putter. I believe this is an older rule that has been removed, but I have heard of some more competitive leagues and tournaments that still require this.

If you feel more comfortable putting with a mid, go for it. Like I said earlier, it has a slower drop rate which means that it glides perfectly with the power you feel comfortable giving it. When I get in a putting funk, I have no qualms switching to my Star San Marino Rocs or my Star Ontario Rocs. In the past I have also used my FLX Drone and Z Buzzz. Heavy TeeBirds work well and I have a friend who almost exclusively uses his FLX Avenger SS for putting.
I agree with this assessment of putting with putters vs. mids. One thing I will say is that if the difference is as drastic as the OP says then he may be using mids to cover up a fairly large flaw depending on the distance. IMO, you'd be way better off just fixing the flaw and then getting all of the benefits of using a putter than just covering it up with a mid.

Now if you hit more 40' putts with a mid and can make the longer comeback putts easily then choosing to use a mid is probably a good idea. The key is choosing to use a mid to putt even better rather than needing to use a mid to putt well.

My wife and I followed a final round lead card of open Women in a Tourney and were very suprised to see that Des Reading putted with a Shark. I don't know if that's what she always putts with on every hole or if it was because it was a little windy that day. The difference was, Des was usually putting on her second shot from where her initial drive landed and the other women were usually putting on their third shot from where their approach landed so the putts she was sinking were from much further away than what I am use to seeing.

I've been playing weekly for little over a year now, throwing a Aviar. Got a Sonic about two weeks ago and been using that most of the time. Now I guess my Glow Roc will be splitting the putting duties with those two. I whould like to throw only one putter, but I cant deside which, maybe i'll just make room for all three beings putting is my strong point.

Latest posts