• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules Changes for 2018

Not sure what you meant here.

If foot faults are played as-is with a one stroke penalty, I can go way off line to get a better look or better run-up for a stroke penalty.

That being said I could just pitch my disc over a couple of feet for the same effect...

Maybe I don't hate the no re-throw rule all that much.

I support a stand and deliver rule banning fairway runups. You don't get to spike a tee in the ground in ball golf, driving is different than subsequent shots.

BUT I actually like the wide line rule. There are two kinds of foot faults; ones that happen to be foot faults and ones that improve the lie. How often are people running up and improving their lie by missing 3" to one side? Not very often at all. Usually it is a mistake if the miss is that small. For those that actually improved their lie we are talking a foot at least.

To me this rule makes me disregard the ones where players run up and happen to miss their line without a real impact on play. It also gives an immediate penalty to those that take a lie improving foot fault.

I hate the no re-throw rule. Allows people to improve their lie for a stroke. No bueno.

I am 1000000000% percent against the stand and deliver rule.

While yes, you are correct that golfers don't tee it up in the fairway, disc golfers also don't get to throw from a nice slab on concrete in what is typically a wide open lane. Also, the tee shot is rehearsed and planned while all subsequent shots are typically improvised, even when it's exactly where you planned to throw it.

In terms of reducing foot faults, of course it would. And stopping players from playing defense in basketball would prevent fouls. And stopping players from tackling in football would prevent face mask penalties. Just as there are consequences for a bad tackle or bad defense, there is a consequence for foot faults.

A player with 5 fouls in the NBA takes some risk when he plays aggressive defense. So does a player who chooses to run up.

The box will reduce foot faults because as you said, most misses are minor. And every foot fault thread ever has the guy the says "well, how much does an inch really gain you?!?"

Finally the no re-throw rule is the result of improvement. I was in favor of a forced re-throw and then having to play the worst (in sanctioned worst shot or tough shot doubles, players pick the worst lie. So there's precedence for it.

However, if a player intentionally improved their lie for a stroke, this would be unsportsmanlike conduct and would be a DQ. Link below, section B rule 5.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/section-3-player-code-conduct/33-player-misconduct

Would a rules committee with 30,000 members be more effective? That's what you'd have if every idea and debate were open to everyone.

It's a cycle, so the upcoming release IS the chance for everyone to hammer at them and then the cracks could be fixed for 2019. That's not much less time than it would take to fix the cracks "before" a release.

Well, when several government agencies such as the FCC as suggesting rules changes, they provide a comment period for the public to weigh in; why not have the RC do the same? Come up with the suggested rule tweaks, hammer them out in the committee, and then have the PDGA membership be able to comment on them before the final vote. I know that it's a different process and the PDGA RC has way fewer members than a gov't bureaucracy, but I think that'd be a better way to do it. Maybe there could be a few basic category questions, such as "I am for/against this rule change", "I think this rule will help/hurt | speed up/slow down the game" and so forth, to help get comments into categories.

I support a stand and deliver rule banning fairway runups. You don't get to spike a tee in the ground in ball golf, driving is different than subsequent shots.

I don't think we should give two ****s about what ball golf is doing. Their sport is rigid and tedious, and while probably not the main reason for the steady decline, I think when looking to them for guidance, it should be a "what not to do" model.

The only thing I do like about stand and deliver is the idea of using less land, by just having the big distance throw from the tee, with shorter second and third throws. I think people would injure their knees though...I probably would. If they'd modify the proposal to allow falling forward, and require players to demonstrate a stance before throwing, or some other language that would prevent a run up it would eliminate that concern of injury.

Would a rules committee with 30,000 members be more effective? That's what you'd have if every idea and debate were open to everyone.

It's a cycle, so the upcoming release IS the chance for everyone to hammer at them and then the cracks could be fixed for 2019. That's not much less time than it would take to fix the cracks "before" a release.

Well the problems found in the last rules update wasn't fixed the year after, so I guess now we will need to live with potential flaws for another 5 years:thmbdown:

At any rate, I'm not exactly sure why your knees can't handle a stationary throw, maybe you need some form lessons?

I don't know why mine can't.

But I know that they can't.

I'm guessing it has to do with momentum and pivot.

Here's the photo of the rule changes in the published rule book.

Attachments

• 22519729_10159417915475142_2381733050199835082_o.jpg
    22519729_10159417915475142_2381733050199835082_o.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 22491944_10159417915125142_752278847812676417_n.jpg
    22491944_10159417915125142_752278847812676417_n.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 103
initial question:
does an "abandoned" throw still count? or is this a softer version of optional rethrow? (hopefully the former)

initial question:
does an "abandoned" throw still count? or is this a softer version of optional rethrow? (hopefully the former)

almost certain it's the former as the original intent of the rule was to replace unplayable lie.

Whoa. I can certainly take advantage of this when stuck up a tree though I think it breaks the spirit of playing where it lies.

A player may take free optional relief (back along the line of play) when placing the lie after taking a penalty for OB or above two meters.

Submitted by Mike Rota 99837 on Oct 17, 2017 at 6:10pm
A throw that travels less than 5 meters in the air to return a disc to a player or your bag is not a practice throw. That is awesomesauce. Now I can pitch my disc to my caddy without someone getting all butthurt now. =)

Couldn't have said that better myself...

...Well, I would have said awesomeness...

Whoa. I can certainly take advantage of this when stuck up a tree though I think it breaks the spirit of playing where it lies.
Yea, there are a couple holes around here, with either creeks or roads, where I can see gaining an advantage by moving back to make room to clear trees, signs, cars, etc.

Yea, there are a couple holes around here, with either creeks or roads, where I can see gaining an advantage by moving back to make room to clear trees, signs, cars, etc.
Most of our trees are in clusters. If it get stuck and take a 2 meter penalty, chances are I'm in the middle of a group of trees and throwing through them is usually not an attractive line. Backing up would be very helpful.

Last edited:

The idea and why this is a great change is you should either get a crappy lie OR a penalty. Not both.

If foot faults are played as-is with a one stroke penalty, I can go way off line to get a better look or better run-up for a stroke penalty.

That being said I could just pitch my disc over a couple of feet for the same effect...

Maybe I don't hate the no re-throw rule all that much.

I don't understand the "foot fault" with this new rule. So I could, from the tee, run down the fairway and drop my disc in the basket for a 2?

Latest posts