• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

I had no discs in the side pockets when doing the hoodie test. I'll use those pockets for other things. Speaking of which, on to the other things…

catalyst_11_top_pocket.jpg

Putters will not fit in the top pocket, if you wanted some sort of ghetto Grip-like thing. It's about 7.6 inches wide.

Here's a somewhat random list of additional thoughts. Before you read them, bear in mind I've had a Contender, and liked it, so I'm certain there are some things which I like that I might not comment on because they're not new to me.

• The material is about as expected. The grey is just like the black on my first run Contender (somewhat shiny, and feel and look more resistant to water and stains and mud), and the color is just like the colored sections on them (a bit rougher to the touch and thus seemingly more prone to soaking up water droplets and getting dirty). It's a high quality material and I've never had a rip or anything happen to my Contender. I don't treat it with kid gloves, but I don't treat it like crap either.
  • The side storage is big and nice. I was able to fit a Golden Retriever flat along the bottom, and obviously full discs fit inside (including up to 3 Prometheus) without any difficulty. I'll use this storage area for pucks (for disc retrieval), my Golden Retriever, snacks, and other goodies.
  • The mini pocket is fine, but honestly, since you can't even zip the mini in there, and most everyone I've seen keeps their mini in their pants pockets when playing DG… calling it a mini pocket is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like a scorecard pocket, or a credit card pocket, or something like that. The four) pencil pockets are right there, so I'm going with "scorecard pocket."
  • The straps are perfectly comfortable. Not the most comfortable straps ever, but good. The chest strap is at the right height this time around, which is good. They're wide, and perfectly good when used one at a time (that's how I carry my backpack bags 95% of the time).
  • I like the triangular D-Rings on the top of each side. I've clipped my lime green Towch to the one side and works well.
  • I was able to slide a stool (a large Walkstool) in both side pouches. It takes a little bit of effort - not something you'd want to do every 300 feet - but it fits in both sides. It fits more easily in my Grip L but that's largely because the zipper on that bag is taller.
  • The handle at the top is something that I've always appreciated. Quite often when finishing out a hole or just moving from the basket to the next teepad I'll just carry my bag by the handle. It's firmly attached and solid plastic. Not quite as soft or rubbery feeling as my Contender - more hard plastic - but still curved nicely and easy to carry.
  • Small thing, but the pull tabs on the zippers are nice. I like it when the little details still get attention. The zippers work well.
  • The upper storage area, man. What a waste. Lies aside, it's disappointing that there's literally just so much wasted space up there. The engineering and costs that went into the plastic parts of the putter pocket (that's pretty much pointless) could probably have covered the cost(s) and design to have a true and large top side pocket that meets the 8 x 6 x 6 we were told it would be. I could fit my iPhone 5, money clip/wallet, and keychain (3 keys, two are car fob/keys) in easily, but there's not much more room than that.
  • The rubber feet aren't rails like on the Grip, but I've never had a problem with the same feet on my Contender.
  • The drink holders have a nice grommet in them for drainage and are against your back, moving the weight closer, unlike on the Contender, where they're away from your back.

Comparing to the Contender (Catalyst still has all the MVP discs, Contender just loaded up with some putters - 18 in the main area):

catalyst_14_contender_compare.jpg

In the end…

The bag cost ME $57 less than the cheapest price Grips have ever cost, but buying this bag makes me realize that I already had a "medium" sized backpack bag: my special edition Orange Rust Whatever-They-Called-This-Color Grip L Series.

My Grip has a rain fly, rails, is better constructed, has better (contoured) straps, and looks better (and I owned a green Aztek, so believe me, I place a lot more value on function over form in certain utilitarian things). The Grip's putter pocket up top is nicer, and discs are easier to remove from the main storage area, which has a nice firm plastic base on the interior and rails on the bottom. The straps are more comfortable and the craftsmanship is a touch better overall.

The Catalyst's full-height side storage is slightly roomier than on the Grip (though has shorter zippers), and the Catalyst has TWO the extra side storage areas that are quite handy and add a good amount of storage space (including discs if you wish). It also has a couple of places to clip a towel, which is maddeningly missing on the Grip (L series).

Everything else is almost the same or at least an equal trade-off.

Quite literally that's about how things break down as far as I can tell. The Grip is only a slightly better bag, probably well worth $21 difference ($155 -> $176) for most people (i.e. those who don't need the added side storage on the Catalyst). But Grip's $176 pricing is only two colors and is set to end in two weeks, and I only paid $119 for my Catalyst, so… the Catalyst was worth the savings to me (plus, I have a Grip L).

Overall, for $119, I'm glad I got a Catalyst, and it has a good amount of functionality, carries the right amount of discs, and is well made with good materials. Though I'm disappointed in the lack of use of the space at the top of the bag for more storage, and for the smaller opening that makes disc removal more difficult than necessary, and the (to me) useless plastic box in the putter pocket, these aren't exactly dealbreakers. I'll keep this bag for my personal use, though given how much I tend to carry, I may opt for the Grip more than the Catalyst.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, or film videos/take pictures, if anyone has any questions.

Why don't you tell is what you REALLY think, iacas!! :eek:

honestly not even trolling; I believe my history of making emotional-bag photo edits proves this is neutral to Salient and just for giggles.

h3tvljw.jpg

The bible of Reviews *PHEW*

Also, huge lulz were had at the disc bag picture Zam...

honestly, $100 to not deal with the pita of getting discs in/out is worth it to me.

Excellent review iacas. lots of great points and suggestions for feedback. I will keep that plastic insert in the GGIS to see if it breaks into a divider like it does in the video. I am really excited to get mine and to see if that slot will break in a little bit. I am also hoping the sides will stretch out over time. Chris made it seem really easy to get a mid out of the side but i also know he had that bag for a couple months before doing the video. Excited to see more reviews now but even more excited to see reviews in about 3 months

Glad that i got a grip. looks like the design of the bag could be a little better with the space, putter pocket, taking in and out of discs. I like the look and i think the biggest thing is the limited warrenty. that will kill against the grip. grip has a lifetime warrenty as long as you dont brand or change your bag.

Glad that i got a grip. looks like the design of the bag could be a little better with the space, putter pocket, taking in and out of discs. I like the look and i think the biggest thing is the limited warrenty. that will kill against the grip. grip has a lifetime warrenty as long as you dont brand or change your bag.

Its the same warranty, i did my research and asked other golfers. Both protect against manufacturer defects and once you use it its used.

I will keep that plastic insert in the GGIS to see if it breaks into a divider like it does in the video. I am really excited to get mine and to see if that slot will break in a little bit.

There are two solid plastic pieces on the sides. It's not going to "break in" but the fabric may get abused enough to eventually let you slide something thin in - a driver of some kind - on top. I don't see ever easily sliding a putter in. It's basically trying to jam it in where it isn't designed to go. The plastic "box" takes up the full size of the slot in the fabric.

You'll see when you get yours.

I am also hoping the sides will stretch out over time. Chris made it seem really easy to get a mid out of the side but i also know he had that bag for a couple months before doing the video.

That was a pre-production bag. It could have easily had slightly different dimensions.

Its the same warranty, i did my research and asked other golfers. Both protect against manufacturer defects and once you use it its used.

Huh?

There are two solid plastic pieces on the sides. It's not going to "break in" but the fabric may get abused enough to eventually let you slide something thin in - a driver of some kind - on top. I don't see ever easily sliding a putter in. It's basically trying to jam it in where it isn't designed to go. The plastic "box" takes up the full size of the slot in the fabric.

You'll see when you get yours.

That was a pre-production bag. It could have easily had slightly different dimensions.

you make two very good points.

:confused:

I saw on the forums with internet pages showing limited warrenty. :confused:

From the Salient website:

"Limited warranty against manufacturer defects upon arrival-Pre-orders are not subject to refunds"

This seems to say to me that if anything happens after you actually use the bag, the warranty does not apply.

From the Salient website:

"Limited warranty against manufacturer defects upon arrival-Pre-orders are not subject to refunds"

This seems to say to me that if anything happens after you actually use the bag, the warranty does not apply.

Then i will let them know the importance of the change to the website

Latest posts