• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

My slot didn't really sit back and drop as you described. I had to bend the sides out and make it kinda squat, the upper part now droops down allowing enough room for a judge to sit on top. The disc on top is much more snug than the one inside the sleeve.

The construction of the removable sleeve is kinda cheesy, looks like they used random stuff floating around their shop so maybe the dimensions between ours is slightly different.

I also tucked the flap underneath the sleeve to the velcro because it looks better but then it made access to the top disc of the putter pouch too tight. So at this point I'm either going to cut off that useless flap or just take out the insert sleeve, what would you do???

I also tucked the flap underneath the sleeve to the velcro because it looks better but then it made access to the top disc of the putter pouch too tight. So at this point I'm either going to cut off that useless flap or just take out the insert sleeve, what would you do???

My insert is almost exactly 9" wide. Not sure if that helps. I'd take it out or loosen it up from the Velcro and see what you can do, I'm guessing it needs to move further inside. When mine arrived it was almost hanging out the front. The disc in the top slot, the one above the sleeve, is easier to take out than the one in the sleeve.

Last edited:
I pulled my insert out and don't even remember where it is, the vibram ridge was a bit too wide without bending so I pulled it and never looked back.

I'm not trolling here. Seriously.

It seems to me that whether it's PF or Salient, the bags need some sort of instant modifications out of the box (usually involving cutting the bag somehow, which I imagine voids the warranty), instead of just working as advertised.

Thoughts?

I pulled my insert out and don't even remember where it is, the vibram ridge was a bit too wide without bending so I pulled it and never looked back.

Just for shats, find the sleeve and bend the outside walls out, I did this and can fit the antidote in quite easily.

It seems to me that whether it's PF or Salient, the bags need some sort of instant modifications out of the box (usually involving cutting the bag somehow, which I imagine voids the warranty), instead of just working as advertised.

Thoughts?

Honesty I'm enjoying how to make this thing work for me! But yea the sleeve SHOULD HAVE been the right dimension in the first place, sounds like only a few people have gotten the it to work, mine works but it's not optimal at this point.

Honesty I'm enjoying how to make this thing work for me! But yea the sleeve SHOULD HAVE been the right dimension in the first place, sounds like only a few people have gotten the it to work, mine works but it's not optimal at this point.

I hear you.

I bought a Cabela's bag and made a frame because I thought it would be fun to customize it.

But that was a fishing backpack mod to make it a disc golf bag. You guys are modding a disc golf bag to fit your disc golf discs. :confused:

I will admit that the material of the bag looks legit. I hope it holds up for everyone.

Thoughts?

The only thing I've had to do is get the sleeve in there right. If I had to venture a guess the person installing them at the manufacturing facility probably didn't know how it was suppose to work. As far as cutting, I wouldn't say that the upper compartment needed any cutting. It works, its just not as big a compartment as it could be.

I don't think you're trolling here at all, but saying that you aren't doesn't immediately disqualify it as trolling.

Seconded. Friendly advice, for sure.

Looking back at iacas' novel, I noticed the seams on the side pocket seem t be a bit stressed on the picture where the hoodie is fit inside the pocket. Is that just because of the close photo, or does it really seem like it is putting stress on those seams?

Yikes shes gonna blow a seam captain. I do not own a catalyst but i would not recomend stuffing that much in the side pocket if the seams look like that. Not sure a rip is gonna be warrantied .

I hear you.

I bought a Cabela's bag and made a frame because I thought it would be fun to customize it.

But that was a fishing backpack mod to make it a disc golf bag. You guys are modding a disc golf bag to fit your disc golf discs. :confused:

I will admit that the material of the bag looks legit. I hope it holds up for everyone.

Good point, the way it was shipped it would have been essentially impossible to have fit two putters in the GGI slot. Take out the divider and two fit easily. I'm torn at this point on what to do about that storage space... I'm not very handy I'd probably screw it up...

Good point, the way it was shipped it would have been essentially impossible to have fit two putters in the GGI slot. Take out the divider and two fit easily. I'm torn at this point on what to do about that storage space... I'm not very handy I'd probably screw it up...

LOL. Right now, I'm literally looking at my old Cabela's bag that I screwed up by making the frame too high and tore some seams. I re-sewed it up, but it ain't pretty. I also gently took an iron to it to put on a Huk Lab patch and melted some plastic on it.

Patience is a virtue, but I like things to get done quickly. :)

Looking back at iacas' novel, I noticed the seams on the side pocket seem t be a bit stressed on the picture where the hoodie is fit inside the pocket. Is that just because of the close photo, or does it really seem like it is putting stress on those seams?

I would not say that they're stressed or stretched out. The closeness and angle of the picture exaggerate how much of the strings stitches you can see.

I see you like bags... Add a Grip A-series to your lineup... you won't be disappointed and they're cheap right now.

No need. No desire. I have an L and it's only a little bit annoying to remove discs from the edges. Quite honestly I've had the Contender for so long I think I forgot how relatively difficult it was or wasn't.

The Catalyst seems to have gone the other way... even worse than your L-Series it would appear. That's the main reason I abstained from purchasing and I personally asked Chris about it and he said it simply couldn't be done with this bag.

It's much worse. Much.

I asked the question during pre-production and Chris told me it was very easy. He was wrong.

Iacas, I couldn't get the go get it slot to work either at first... Try taking the slot or and then bend the sides out, this makes it wider and narrower, thus allowing you to stack the discs as seen in the original videos.

I don't want to have to do that. I'm perfectly content to have just removed the plastic box. And actually, I might just be perfectly content to take out the Grip when I want to carry 20 discs max. :p

I don't want to bend the plastic, and I don't want stamps to get rubbed off against that plastic.

Just take the plastic sleeve thing out.

That doesn't make any sense. Taking the sleeve out requires no cutting at all - just un-velcroing it.

Edit: just saw your story KD. Oy.

Last edited:
I pulled the sleeve out cut the top off and put it back in and mine fit fine and it closes fine. So basically its the bottom and supporting sides.

Sorry if my post came off as sarcastic (just got infraction) but did anyone notice the GGI insert had a pretty pungent smell?

wifes should be here today
very interested to see the putter slot/upper dead space area and look at modding it
since the back of the putter sleeve is velcroed in place, i might be able to make something off of it for above it

Latest posts