• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes, boots or crocks? did i really just say crocks?

g1nked

Bogey Member
Give me your favorite disc golf shoe and why? I want a good reliable pair to last at least a season or two. I made the mistake of wearing some bowling Sketchers, kinda look like bowling anyhow, and blew the left side out almost immediately on fresh concrete pads at my favorite local park? I wear NB just mainly for comfort and water proofed them for an additional 7 bucks but want something truly water proof.
I can't see paying $130 for Keen or Soloman's but would like a good water resistant shoe for disc golfing.
Maybe someone could get a pair off Tom's and send me the free pair?

Solomans are very comfortable but they will not last a few years. In a few months they will start shredding. REI has a deal where you can bring them back in and replace them for free when they shred, but i say go for something cheap that is on sale. Waterproof shoes are over rated, they help with that morning dew that creeps through your toes sometimes but rain water will always be able to slip in from the top of the shoe by your ankles.

I ran into this same issue 2 months ago. I blew out the sides of two pairs of shoes. Above and beyond the best advise I got and can give to you is, Shoe Goo(4$). It is a shoe repair gel that hardens. I got a new pair of shoes and put the shoe goo on the side of my shoe. Make sure you make it thick enough, too thin and you will wear through it, when it is thicker it doesn't seem to wear. So my advice on shoes is to find something comfortable and waterproof it then use the shoe goo on the area you are dragging.

Cheers

I like tennis shoes. I mean sneakers that are actually made for tennis. You need something with the lateral support and strength, plus hard tees are similar to courts.

Running shoes don't have it. Even low top hikers may not, since they aren't designed for the twisting and lateral stresses. The motions and footwork are similar for both sports, and so is the stress on the foot.

Merrell Moab Mids with GoreTex -- waterproof, excellent support around the ankle, sturdy but not overly heavy, and will take a beating and a half. My only regret is that I only found out about these shoes this past spring.

i use an old pair of timberland pros from work...very comfortable and supportive and apparently i need the steel so since i drag my trailing foot on the toe, the cap helps keep it from totally wearing through!

i just rock it with some old running shoes. not the best choice maybe, but gets the job done. when it comes to water, i usually just bite the bullet and get wet. It doesnt really bother me other than that awful smell when i take my shoes off back at the house... :-(

i bought some puma's at my local outlet mall for 20 bucks. they have a mesh material on about 70% of the shoe. Which is wonderful for the heat here in texas. Just not so wonderful for the rain we have been having.

I see people playing in boots, and i just dont think i would throw as well.

lately i've been using my vibram five finger shoes. (dont bag on them until you try them on). theyre weird as hell but so comfortable. it feels like youre walking around barefoot but dont have to worry about gravel or sticks poking you.

if you get the flows, they have wetsuit material on the tops. your feet get wet but you never have to worry about mud,dirt, twigs, etc getting in, water logging, etc. Just step in a puddle and boom, clean. i wore them last week in 50 degree rain, toes didnt even start getting cold till hour 3 or 4 (played a few rounds). you can always get some weird socks (more insulation) to go with the weird shoes.

another thing i like about these things is the grip. unlike flat soled skate shoes or running shoes, you dont have to worry about slipping or sliding on hill sides, logs, or any other sort of uneven terrain on follow throughs.

the two things that bug me about them are, 1. first couple of times putting them on can be very tedious if you had soccer foot like me. 2.sometimes you get grass/ sticks wedged between the toes. not a big deal but one of those things that suck about walking around barefoot.

I bought some North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR Boa's and they're great. I didn't get them specifically for DG but that's what I wear. I can go out when it's dewy
and the Gore Tex keeps my feet dry. They've got a pretty aggressive sole which helps out too.

I've been looking at those Vibram Five Fingers (again not just for DG). Seems like everything I've read about them people rave.

I love my Merrell Cameleons. That is all that I have worn for about 4 years now. They are very comfortable and provide good traction as well as ankle support

i just wear some regular old sneakers they work fine for me minus the bottom wearing down to wear there is almost no grip so i have to watch my step on slippery grass and leaves.

I'll punch anyone who shows up on course with Crocs ... are you serious?

they wouldn't even work to walk thru river or other water ... way too slippery when wet

Timbos during the wet/snow months and any kind of cross trainers for the nice weather months

I had a big issue with the shoe versus boot debate a couple months back. I struggled between the two and after much research, I choose boots made by Oboz. A new company from Montana. Check out their website. I suppose closely related to Merrels, but bought them because they appear to be more durable and better made. Goretex lined, awesome traction with rubber that comes up around the sides. I paid about 135 for them, but without a doubt, money well spent. I play in all kinds of weather and know that these will preform without question. I like the boot style as it gives my ankles support and also allow me to keep my feet dry. I love them!

I prefer to play DG in low cut hiking shoes that I've waterproofed the hell out of. My second favorite shoes are my older pair of Addidas SS2G that when they were new I waterproofed like 100 times with Camp Dry.

You need a slight amount of support, some stiffness, a good toe box, the ability to tie tight, and good traction never hurt anybody.

\/\/

I got a pair of Merrels from Nortrum Rack far about half price. It's pretty hit or miss, but I found a pair of mesh sided hiking shoes that I really like.

Latest posts