• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shots Fired by McBeth?

That's a lot of money from a Disc Sponsor. I am wondering if the article is referencing his combined deals with all sponsors.

Ooh, that's a good point and probably the most likely, as it would avoid the issue of anyone knowing which sponsor contributes how much to that amount. THough the wording in the article says it is one deal, the journalism is subpar though. Still sounds like a hefty amount more than I think most people think of as "disc golf rich".

Stretched over multiple years, it really isn't out of the question. Think about it, he turned down a Grip deal worth 5 figures, to carry an Innova bag.

it's absolutely believable if it is a multi year deal!

Lets speculate! my guess...3 years

pee_wee_gets_his_ass_kicked_while_not_masturbating.jpg

^ That made me almost spit my coffee out. Thank you.

Also, @Dana How do you know he turned down a 5 figure Grip deal? Not saying I don't believe you, that just seems like a ton of money from a bag company. Was it a multiple year deal also?

Stretched over multiple years, it really isn't out of the question. Think about it, he turned down a Grip deal worth 5 figures, to carry an Innova bag.

Give him $2 for every McBeth Destroyer, Aviar, Nova, and Krait, and you're looking at real money real fast.

If you click on the journalist Chris Erskine, you will find this:

"Chris Erskine is a humor columnist and editor for the Los Angeles Times. He writes for the Sports, Travel and Saturday sections and does occasional duty on the Travel editing staff. He first earned a following with his pieces on family life in Los Angeles. In a similar vein, he has written two books, "Man of the House" and "Surviving Suburbia," each of which reached the Los Angeles Times bestseller list. The Chicago native is considered an expert on bratwurst, baseball and custards of the world."

I believe this is all made up for his Humor Column. When I was in college one of our writers had a column where he would make up ridiculous things about famous people to laughs. This is probably the same thing.

I believe this is all made up for his Humor Column. When I was in college one of our writers had a column where he would make up ridiculous things about famous people to laughs. This is probably the same thing.

So, libel?

I've never heard Paul like this. Just wow.

I wonder if that was the exact wording he gave, in regards to Will.

Horribly written article. I wish those call-outs were really as harsh as they came across but I doubt it.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have more context for those quotes.

Agreed. Those are kind of inflammatory quotes to just throw out there without any kind of explanation or context. Doesn't put Paul in the best light. But maybe that's an accurate representation? I doubt it.

If you click on the journalist Chris Erskine, you will find this:

"Chris Erskine is a humor columnist and editor for the Los Angeles Times. He writes for the Sports, Travel and Saturday sections and does occasional duty on the Travel editing staff. He first earned a following with his pieces on family life in Los Angeles. In a similar vein, he has written two books, "Man of the House" and "Surviving Suburbia," each of which reached the Los Angeles Times bestseller list. The Chicago native is considered an expert on bratwurst, baseball and custards of the world."

Maybe. That would be sad. I'm inclined to believe he did a real interview and just did a shoddy job writing it up.

It's written exactly like this is his very first experience with disc golf and he didn't have a ton of time.

If it's a humor column, he did a pretty awful job. Especially since he published it in the sports section.

It's a column instead of an article, so he gets a little more freedom to insert his own opinion, but there's no reason to think it's supposed to be funny. Looks like a regular ole column to me.

The article did not give any questions that the interviewer asked. We can't possibly know if he asked what he thought of his competition or if he had any beef with any competitors. Paul hasn't become less humble just because of one sponsorship. Paul was most likely asked leading questions to get these answeres, or he never said them at all.

It's likely a lot closer to $.20

No way its that little on factory store sales. Those discs dont cost a ton to make and are being sold at a premium directly from manufacturer...

Manufacturers are not hurting when it comes to limited runs. Even at $10 a disc for a 1k run well....... Innova has had 20k friday nights.

Seems like a legit newb column to me. It's in the sports section, so I don't really see it as a humor thing, but who knows.

Maybe McBeth was joking about the comments, but it's probably how he feels...

I feel like he's said similar things before in an AMA or something.

exactly. he has said or essentially admitted to these things before in some form or another. i don't get why people think this writer has some sort of agenda for like... the most niche sport in the world.

Latest posts