• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters
Did the disc get wedged from the inside or outside? Could you always prove it?

I see what you're saying though the wedge can be completely on the outside. Let's not forget about discs hanging on the nub but completely outside the basket. That's just as lame as a wedged disc.

I don't think we're covering any new ground at this point.

It would make life simpler if it did count but it would go against the history of our game. When the basket was designed, it was a representation of the original target which was a tree with two bands of tape wrapped around it. If your disc hit the tape or between the tape, you had holed out. There's no way to hole out on a tree or pole from above the top tape, so Steady Ed did not want landing on top of the new basket to count.

You say, "Well, why does sticking below the basket rim count?" The rationale is that disc can enter the basket coming over the top of the basket rim and try to exit out the side and wedge in the basket. On a tree, that would be like a loft putt where the disc is moving downward when it hits the tree properly above the tape. If the disc, could have traveled "thru the tree," it might have stuck on the way out the other side like in a basket. So you say, "But if everyone sees the disc wedge in the side of the basket from the outside, it was never high enough to be in." That's true. However, one of the benefits of the basket invention was that you could finally tell whether a player holed out on blind holes because the disc was in the basket. Since a disc on a blind shot could wedge in the side of the basket from the outside in or the inside out, the rules give the benefit of the doubt to the player. So, for simplicity, wedgies have always been ruled as good based on the "benefit of the doubt" rule given to players EVEN if it was obvious the disc wedged from the outside.

So, even though it seems logical for first timers to believe landing on the basket should also be good, the question is whether we throw out this historical tradition from the origination of the sport for that convenience of simply having any disc suspended by the basket count as good?

These are very hard subjects to detain or argue. For what you are saying the history comes from then there are some shots that can be argued as in. A center chains center pole shot that bounces out due to power or even wind. Historically would be fine, but not now. I am not saying that you are wrong, discs on top should count, or even those bouncing out should count, I am merely saying this argument could be never ending.

difference between the wedge and on top...

The wedge is a full force shot...It's like in regular golf if you put the ball in the pin from the sand trap or fairway.

The only putts that stay on top (with frequency) are soft touch shots, if you can putt softly enough to put the disc on the top, you should have better aim.
At the same time, when it's happened that i have observed, everyone plays the "if it falls in" it's good (although i've never seen it happen). In this case, have your buddy try to hit it in for you, if he wants to... or maybe you will get lucky and someone else will help it fall.

Except the rules don't allow another disc or even the wind to knock a disc in that lands on the top and comes to rest. If it does fall and go in, it has to be replaced back on top for the player to properly hole out.

^Regarding the giant 4 inch rim, according to Innova, the lower edge of the rim starts at what is the standard chain height, and rises above it. This means any shot that hit the rim would have essentially flown over the basket. The rim does NOT 'block' part of the chains, it is higher than where the chains would start on, say, any mach series basket.

In other words, the evil 4 inch innova band is actually not a bad thing.

Anyway, regarding the poll, I go with whatever PDGA says. Sometimes, good rules are not always popular rules.

good lord, who revived this thread?

no it doesn't. check your scorecard, your local course rules, or the PDGA rules.

if your group wants to play it as such, fine, but if you travel or expect to play in a tournament, don't count on it.

I love this thread. It's epic, and cannot die without being locked.
WillACarpenter brought it back after a two and a half month hiatus. It's well rested and ready to carry on the good fight!

I've played over 500 rounds in the last 18 months. If I average 1.5 putts per hole, which is a reasonable estimation for me (probably on the low side), I've made around 13500 putts in rounds. Add putting practice before rounds and at home and the number surpasses 20,000.

I've had exactly 1 DROT (in a tournament even).

So my conclusion is that this question isn't worth the time it takes to respond to it, much less the time it takes trying to figure out how many putts I've made since I started playing again last year. I mean, who does that?

(Oh, and they shouldn't count) :)

I love this thread. It's epic, and cannot die without being locked.
WillACarpenter brought it back after a two and a half month hiatus. It's well rested and ready to carry on the good fight!

The thread was brought back because it was in my "Say good bye to 2009 thread. Say good bye to 2009...
That thread and the Definative lost disc thread brought a lot of dead threads back into the mix.

Optional PDGA rule, rarely enabled by right-thinking TDs. But if you insist, what about a disc suspended 1.999m directly above the basket in a tree? Shall it count as good in your worldview?

Latest posts