• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Signature holes of Minnesota.

Who has driven the green #17 at Bryant?

i had the wind wipe mine away. god damm i just watched it sail outta my hands and saw my orange sparkle opto saint head towards the woods on the right. looked for around half an hour and no avail. only time i played bryant lake. its a helluva hole. i didnt know how to tame the beast and it took me down real quick

i will say that i love the driving range hole at BRP.

not sure if it's signature or not, but i feel it should be. it's perfect; it's nice and relaxing and fun. a welcome break from the gauntlet that reminds you why you went to the course in the first place.

Yeah, that's a bag unloader, for sure. Not the most challenging hole, but hella fun.

Many many times. Actually not that far of a shot.

don't make it sound like its an easy park.. lol I don't suck and only hit the actuall top tier green once.

I have only witness ONE other person hit it in my whole time playing and even they weren't even close on the other 3 drives. way too many other factors come into play to park this hole "many many" times lol.. do you only play on calm days or what?

don't make it sound like its an easy park.. lol I don't suck and only hit the actuall top tier green once.

I have only witness ONE other person hit it in my whole time playing and even they weren't even close on the other 3 drives. way too many other factors come into play to park this hole "many many" times lol.. do you only play on calm days or what?

Nope, just know how to throw the hole. Parked it in some crazy winds actually.

Apparently you are either in denial of what being a really top player is or have not actually seen the high level players at that course. The top level players shoot anywhere from 40 to 48 on that course. They can deuce any hole out there. Being lefty has its benefits on the longer holes on that course but being a good player has its benefits on every course

we are talking about 17. I never said anything about not being able to 2 any hole out there but let me see a 2 in the what is normal at least 10+ MPH wind straight right to left off the lake throwing RHBH-- for most players it will only be in their dreams.

Last edited:
I do not view myself as a great player by anymeans but I am not someone who's discs or game gets super effected by winds under 20mph. Best way to well in those situations is do field work into headwinds and with tailwinds to see what happens to each disc and knowing your bag. When I say knowing your bag, I mean really knowing each disc, not just doing a little field work and calling it good. Keeping the same discs in your bag for years vs getting the newest coolest disc. I guess it probably comes from not changing my bag setup when every new cool warp speed driver comes out of new company starts.

I will bring this discussion back to Bryant 17 in general. Mastering this hole, whether in the wind or on a calm day is almost strictly disc selection and trusting that your disc will do what you are capable of making it do. I find that it is very easy to turn something over if I try too hard, especially if it is a high speed driver, and then dumping it into the woods on the right. I also find that it is just as easy to overcompensate with the hyzer to counteract the turn, and then I dump my drives onto 18's tee box. Thankfully I have never hit anyone.

On numerous occasions I just put it at or near the bottom tier, but I do so with slower discs. Normally I reach for TeeBirds or TLs because I know they will hold all the way. Some of my best drives in calmer conditions have been with an Eclipse Tangent, actually swinging it out a little left and giving it the slightest of anhyzers. It will float all the way to the base of the first tier. I have had good luck with Buzzzes as well.

The last time out I had a few of my friends who normally go warp speed and are lucky to make it near the end of the parking lot in the fairway (near the portapotty) and have them throw putters. In several instances they threw just as far with the putters and agreed that it was actually a cleaner, more controllable shot. I would not recommend it in a strong headwind, but just playing this hole numerous times will teach you to be successful here.

I am very good at throwing from elevation because I have played this course and courses like this (elevation-wise, like HSSA 18) numerous times and have learned that disc with so drop rates, like putters, neutral mids, and stable slow fairway drivers, will get you the best results. High speed drivers just cannot handle that sudden air underneath the disc and lose ground-effect lift, effectively making them stall sooner, fading earlier.

For reference, I shoot about a 47-48 here and Hole 18 chews me up about half the time. More often than not, however, I am simply looking for a great camera shot. Outside of BRP, I have photographed this course more than any other.

yeah I agree some of my best shots at Bryant 17 and hyland 18 were with discs like the fuse but neither are an easy park for any level of player unless like you describe above, have played and understand the hole very well. I see most shots going in the directions you describe from 18's tee to right in the woods or well short of the first pin area but decent dumpy shot.

Random pictures from the warehouse of pictures I have of Bryant Lake.

My son heading to Hole 6
11230429113_f96d4606c4.jpg

Photograph of me taking a photograph.
11230320755_90ed7438fa.jpg

A friend putting on 16
11230356946_87433041c1.jpg

Several missed putts on 16
11230444163_ec1332c8da.jpg

A little creative editing of me driving on Hole 1
11230369436_fb355b57bb.jpg

^ NICE PICS!

My 10 year old boy has the same bag as your kid. Wish I could get him out more, but that damn Minecraft has taken over.

yeah I agree some of my best shots at Bryant 17 and hyland 18 were with discs like the fuse but neither are an easy park for any level of player unless like you describe above, have played and understand the hole very well. I see most shots going in the directions you describe from 18's tee to right in the woods or well short of the first pin area but decent dumpy shot.

I have never deuced 17, I have had a handful of 30 and putts to do so, but I have never converted.

My best ever fluke shot was with a TeeBird where I swear it was going to ace it. When I found it, it lie was directly in line with the basket considering the angle it came in, but it was 20 some feet deep in the woods behind. Complete fluke distance, although it was the line I always take. Good tailwind I suppose that day. I have had several that have been basket deep but where 50 to 70 feet wide right.

Normally I just land between the short basket and the first tier. No real chance at a birdie, but it is a clean up, so I have a run and should always walk away with a 3. If I go with an Ion, Buzzz, or Tangent, I will try to sneak it in from left to right, again aiming for the short basket and out in the open. If I go TL, TeeBird, or Sword, I will try to get the majority of its flight over the parking lot and have it fade in at the last second. There is a little luck involved because I will need to punch it through a tree if I do not hit that gap right 600 feet away. Normally though, if I get knocked down by the tree I normally do, it has a high enough clearance with the branches where it is still an easier up for a 3.

^ NICE PICS!

My 10 year old boy has the same bag as your kid. Wish I could get him out more, but that damn Minecraft has taken over.

I rarely get him to play. He has come out a lot with me recently, and I try to bribe him with a new disc every now and then, but I pay him a quarter a hole if he plays.

My daughter, I used to get her out if she could be the photographer, but she is too cool for that now. Oh to be 13.

My youngest son, too obsessed with technology. We do have time limits, so he does get his fresh air, but he still does not play. Maybe, at a quarter a hole, I can get him to throw one or two holes. He is trying to save for a Kindle Fire. Good luck with that at a quarter a hole and only plays one or two holes per round.

Mont du Lac is technically Wisconsin. :gross:

Great courses though.

A Proclamation​

Whereas: All roads to Mont du Lac come from Minnesota,

Whereas: The distance from the convoluted border is measured in feet,

Whereas: It's a really cool course that Minnesotans would like to claim,

Whereas: Whetherfore one travels east, west, north, or south from Mont du Lac, that traveler will pass into Minnesota,

Whereas: The number of players from Minnesota is likely many times the number from Wisconsin,

Therefore be it known to all henceforth that Mont du Lac is hereby granted honorary status as a Minnesota disc golf course.

A Proclamation​

Whereas: Whetherfore one travels east, west, north, or south from Mont du Lac, that traveler will pass into Minnesota,

Whereas: The number of players from Minnesota is likely many times the number from Wisconsin,

Therefore be it known to all henceforth that Mont du Lac is hereby granted honorary status as a Minnesota disc golf course.

This is the truth.
Mont Du has a lot of fun/scenic holes. They had to change a few after the big flood hit up there. I love hole 16 on white cedar. You throw across a valley and I think it's just about 300 across. The one downside of the hole is having to walk down and back up. Anyone who has played that course knows by the time you get to that hole you are exhausted. But you finish and you have hole 17 with a gorgeous view.

A Proclamation​

I am so thankful MDL is one of my most played courses.
This requires some pictures.
Hole 1 White Cedar
07fbbd9037ce11e3aadd22000a1fbd6a_8.jpg

Hole 5 Eagle's Peak
c39bbd78314f11e38dae22000ae81e0b_8.jpg

Hole 8 White Cedar
b31019b438c411e3b97522000a1f97e9_8.jpg

I'm having troubles linking images at work right now, or I'd have the back half of the White Cedar covered. That's where it gets REALLY gnarly...