• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubles round this morning at Parma. Score wise, not the best I've done (we missed too many putts), but good enough to make a few bucks.

Highlight of the round for me was #5. Its a nice par 4 that requires a tight anny to get out of the woods, then a nice flick to a blind pin behind a hill. I've managed to 3 it in dubs, but never solo. Last time week I *almost* hit it as I had a decent drive and a great upshot...only to miss the 20' putt. Today...my best drive ever out the gap and dead center fairway. Nice flick approach to 15' out and I drained the putt. Sweet.

Had a great day yesterday playing our local 18 hole wooded course. I started playing in August of last year and just turned 70 this year, and of course here in Iowa endured about 5 months of downtime through the winter. The course is a par 54 and I shot a 73, beating my previous best score by 5. Most encouraging for me was that most of my throws were close to the direction that I was shooting for. I had two really lucky throws where a bounce off of a tree put me in much better position than what I deserved. A little good luck always helps!:) What a great sport this is, I just wish that I had discovered it years earlier. It's fun, great exercise, and quite inexpensive, what's not to like.:thmbup:

Should I feel guilty, or chagrined? :eek:
Played the Bluegrass Open (Adv Grandmasters) at Lincoln Ridge yesterday with a brilliant, hot first round nearly 50 points above my rating, and led the two other guys (who really played off their game) by 16 strokes at the break. Preparing for the very real possibility of being called a bagger, I proceeded to play the second round 80 points below my average, and gave up more than half of that 'insurmountable' lead by halfway through the second. Then, the guy making a run at me faltered, and we all limped in to the finish. It turned out to be a somewhat disappointing win, if there is such a thing.

Got out with a childhood friend today, went to the newly reopened Ham Lake Park and then left to Lochness because Ham Lake was severely overcrowded. Was pretty drunk, but managed to shoot 50 strokes at Ham Lake and 29 strokes at Lochness.

A beautiful day to play some disc golf in the Copper Country! Just got done playing Torch Lake DGC like usual! Got my best score!!! Two pars on hoes 6 and 14. Drives were a little off today, but overall I played decently for being a beginner. The picture I took is from hole 6.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 5
Good! Played two 9's, came up at -3 for both. Couldnt get that extra birdie to set a new record but I'll take this any day. Had some terrible drives but awesome recoveries. Made a gorgeous 90 foot upshot for birdie, and a couple sweet 30+ foot putts.

Played the new Calumet Lakes DGC. Still too embarrassed to type out my score as a newbie... However, it is an improvement from playing a few other 9-holers. I was able to get a par on hole five though, and my aim through the wooded holes is tremendously improving.

I played the Beach City bowl in Los Angeles on am day Sunday this past weekend. It was a beautiful temp course with tons of elevation. It was probably my most complete tournament so far and avoided all blowup possibilities. I hit about 80%+ of my putts from 25-35ft range which felt great. I ended up leading by one stroke (ma1) going into the final 9. I missed my first short putt of the tournament on the 1st hole (20ft), and battled it out with legacy sponsored, Connor Wright the rest of the way. We finished tied, and the first hole of sudden death was a ~400ft hole requiring either a fh or bh flat to hyzer line to get around a big tree in the center. Connor put his pin high 40ft right with an all down hill putt. I smashed my best fh drive of the tournament and actually went past it by 20ft. He ran but missed his putt, and unfortunately I missed my 2nd short putt of the tournament. Chains high right, bounced off the top rim of the basket and out. He beat me on the 2nd playoff hole. Do exciting, so incredibly fun, I love this sport. Connor and I have met head to head before a few times, even when we were intermediate and I look forward to another few battles before he moves to open and I head to masters.
Jason Iocco #57963

Got out at lunch to play a quick 9 at Walden Park in Walnut Creek. Not the best disc golfing outing I've ever had. First off, there was no parking left, so I had to park about 2-3 blocks down the road. Then the course was packed with disc golfers in several groups of 4 or 5. Then there was this lady wandering around from fairway to fairway with her dogs, arguing with someone on her phone, seemingly oblivious to the 20 or so guys throwing frisbees around her. I had to play most of the holes I had time for out of order because she kept walking into my shot. I finally got to hole 7 and had to wait for about 10 minutes for other large groups to clear the fairways for 6, 7, 8 and 9 (anyone familiar with Walden Park knows about these crossing fairways). So, my approach for the basket on 7 ended up partially on the path behind the basket and as I was walking up to it, some other lady who couldn't be bothered to look up from her phone steps on it. After that I just gave up on the last two holes and went back to work. Between these women walking around oblivious to everything but their phones and huge groups all throwing noob hyzers and taking forever to clear fairways, it just wasn't worth the time, despite my love for disc golf. I did end up shooting two birds today, though...

Played my home course for first time in awhile and the set up was tough. Long and tough baskets. Had some good throws and some pretty lame ones. 2 bogeys, 1 birdie. Best part was had about a 90 foot putt through trees after pulled drive, felt great out of the hand and looked on line about 3/4 of the way there...I called out some cocky saying and crash right off the top and fell right in front of the basket. When will I ever learn better.

Shot even at leagues last night, should have been better but add kicked in after the first 9. Just made the same mistakes on the same holes that usually result in me getting 4's. Oh well, got home after to find a large box with my new pound bag in it. :)

Got a break from the storms and got two nine's in during some fairly nice weather for the moment. Shot -1 and -2. Very good compared to yesterdays terrible rounds. Putting wasnt amazing, but is staying consistent, as I made 90% of my putts from 30 feet or less. Had a few drop in birdies, and some really good recovery shots, and birdied the last par four hole after an epic flick approach from about 250 feet out that almost dropped in, landed about four feet from the basket. Great day overall. My best advice, and what I did right today was to take it easy, dont wear yourself out, and think your shots through.

Got to play for the first time in a couple weeks and it felt good. My opto Claymore was doing work. Flies straight as an arrow with ease. I'm digging that disc right now as well as a recycled Fuse. Holds any anny I put it on. Little Latitude bag I threw together has been fun.. I need to grab a Pure though.

After last night's league, my discs have a lot more mosquito guts on them than they did before. These stupid things should be eradicated from the world and any other place in the universe that may harbor them.

After last night's league, my discs have a lot more mosquito guts on them than they did before. These stupid things should be eradicated from the world and any other place in the universe that may harbor them.

^ Agreed. Every year I try to destroy all of them but they keep coming back! It's that time of year again...

:thmbdown:

As for how I played...this guy hit blackjack scoring -21 after 18 holes! That would be an impressive score, but I used posted par at Winton Woods in Cincinnati. It's Ohio's oldest course and pretty much a pitch and putt. It was a great time as I introduced a friend to the game out there. I threw my lid (Zephyr) quite a bit and pretended like it was 1981. Fun times!

:thmbup:

Back to chili last night for a tags match with a buddy and mostly to redeem myself after my horrible blowup final tourney round (70, +12....:thmbdown:)

The front 9 was OK. I ended up with +1...2 bogies and a bird. Should really able to play that section bogie free and snag another bird on on either 1,2, or 3. 1st bogie was just bad execution on #5. Hit an early tree. Left my upshot deep and right with a 20' obstructed putt which chained out. The other bogie was a risk/reward shot that failed on 7. Tried to hit the gap to give a look for 2...ended up in jail on the left and caught a branch on the way out. Argh. Birdied #8 with a nice putt (didn't notice it was in the long position so it was a solid 25' putt).

I started the back 9 with a silly 4. Overthrew my upshot a bit and missed a 25' putt. Snagged 2 birds on 13 & 16. Missed a 30' putt for par on 14. Had a huge 35' putt to save par on 17.

Then comes 18. This hole HAUNTS me because I don't have the d to make the dogleg properly so I'm always needing to get creative or hit a small gap on my second shot (then there is putting on the mound). Somehow I had never par'd this hole (741' par 4) outside of dubs. Off the tee was pretty good....not quite the turn I wanted to give a decent line, but I wasn't in a horrible place. Only line out was a big anny flex shot, which isn't one of my strengths but I've been working on it a lot....and it payed off. I nailed the line I wanted leaving me center fairway with an easy upshot to the mound. Nice. I wimped out on my upshot though...leaving me a 25' uphill putt (on a mound) to think about. Dead center chains...finally a 4.

That was huge and left me with a 59 (11 strokes better than my recent tourney blowup) and tied for my best ever round. Definitely my best ever on the back 9.

Played a short 9-hole course at UT Dallas yesterday. Shot a -2, which is not too shabby for me. I left two easy putts out there and shanked two drives, so I was actually pretty lucky to end up -2. Had loads of fun, though!

Missed making doubles last night by five min so I just played along with them all trying no to slow it down (just mostly drive work). Was not throwing all that bad. The forehand needs a little work again. Staring to sneak a little over the top or it could be the speed is coming up and starting to turn over some of my floppy stuff. My backhand is the weakest part of my game. Being left handed and all. Had a couple real nice drives. Started to try and power it up some. Need to work on the timing some but I can't complain. I don't really get much field work so I kind of count rounds like this as field work.

After tying a personal best at Chili today, it was time to tackle parma in 2 speed rounds before the lightning came. WOW. Before today, my best was a 60....and I shot a 59 & 56. Not a lot of great shots (3 birds) but mostly just avoiding the mistakes throughout. Also a few other birds I just missed out on.

Status
Not open for further replies.