• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even par from the shorts at Independence lake. Drove not too well, putted not too well. Was +2 twice and -1 once. A roller coaster for sure

Bagged four new courses 2 &1/2 hours from home. Threw better in the morning than later in the day when I was tired & the wind picked up. Not a stellar combo, that. :eek:

I played 3 causal rounds today @ Estabrook park in Milwaukee. I was preparing for my 9am leagues there tomorrow. I'm happy to say my 2nd round today was my best. I shot down 11 on 21 holes. I just hope practicing there 3 days this week will improve my scores in leagues. I don't know what it was but last week I was turning everything over & ended up par :(

Got to play two rounds, one at Easterlin and one at Tradewinds (albeit a few holes there were unplayable due to flooding). Made a few birds at Easterlin and from the reds at Tradewinds, made seven birds there. Still have work to do on the driving, but the fact that I hit a number of 15-18 footers there gives me some confidence in the putting game.

Had a good round at Rosedale in KC today finished -6 with one bogey. Didn't really make any mistakes except one bad drive. I'm really starting to click with my vibram sole even made a couple of puts outside of the circle.

Hadn't really gotten to throw my Legend Rival all that much previously, so for the sake of testing it out properly, decided to only throw it off the tee for the first round. Unfortunately, putter was still asleep early on, but warmed up (or better shots off the tee), managed to post a reasonable -3, including birdies on two holes of the winter layout that I had so far failed to get.

Despite it still being windy, though nothing close to yesterday's blows, stuck with what I had planned for the day, namely then throwing only Ghosts off the tee for the second round. Actually surprised I managed a birdie, airballing the other real chance, botched up three holes (one off tee, two with upshots) to score +4. My backhand sucks by default compared to my forehand, throwing Ghosts just shortens the initial throws by some margin, while using them forehand, likely torquing them too much, but they just don't go all that far either even on a clean-looking flight. Midrange discs and me just don't click all that well.

First tourney of 2016 yesterday, I **** my highest rated round ever (994), then followed it up with a 930-something. After my abysmal 2015 tourney season, my reading had dropped to 901 from 934, so I'm happy both of those are significantly over my current rating. But more importantly, I was pleased with my game. I hit my lines and putting was solid for round one. I even had to dead center spit outs that works have gotten me my first 1000 rated round. 2nd round the wind picked up and I managed to keep my drives safe, but couldn't putt. I ended up in 2nd place in MA1.

Hadn't really gotten to throw my Legend Rival all that much previously, so for the sake of testing it out properly, decided to only throw it off the tee for the first round. Unfortunately, putter was still asleep early on, but warmed up (or better shots off the tee), managed to post a reasonable -3, including birdies on two holes of the winter layout that I had so far failed to get.

Despite it still being windy, though nothing close to yesterday's blows, stuck with what I had planned for the day, namely then throwing only Ghosts off the tee for the second round. Actually surprised I managed a birdie, airballing the other real chance, botched up three holes (one off tee, two with upshots) to score +4. My backhand sucks by default compared to my forehand, throwing Ghosts just shortens the initial throws by some margin, while using them forehand, likely torquing them too much, but they just don't go all that far either even on a clean-looking flight. Midrange discs and me just don't click all that well.

My FR Legend Rival lead me to a solid -7 on the wintertime open layout at OG. Played smart and made a point to visualize each shot before throwing it. Just really focused on smart play and good course management.

Our Ice Bowl was on Saturday, I played pretty decent for me. Playing 2 rounds in a day is very, very rare for me these days and I managed to keep it together.

Shot a (+2) 56 on the back course at Oakland the first round. A little inconsistent, which is expected since I don't practice or play much anymore, and only 1 bad hole, an OB 6 on hole 13. Shot a (-2) 52 on the top course in the afternoon. Had a 5 on the long hole 8, and a couple of dumb bogies, but overall pretty solid I think. Finished mid pack in the advanced right at even for the day, which was one of my 3 goals for the day (the other two were 1. don't get hurt and 2. don't lose any discs)

Ice Bowl - Saint Paul Winter Carnival - Saturday and Sunday. I played the marathon to retake the record for most holes played during the tournament. I set it the first year at 180+ but was beat the following year with 252. The weather looked perfect for another attempt, and it is for charity. I squeaked out 262; keeping in mind that most holes are easily 330+ with a few shorter and a handful easily 500+.

I played from 8am Saturday morning to 11am Sunday morning. During the overnight hours, Holes 69 to 234, I tossed exclusively a Lucid Verdict.

The stats came out like this:

Approximately 25-26 miles walked
Approximately 15-16 miles of the disc in the air
85,350+ steps (average day where I do not disc is 6,000)
It is 1:45pm as I write this and today I am only at 2,520

Holes 3-58 and 235 to 262 were official tournament rounds with recorded scores.
Par is 84; I recorded an 80, 84, and 82.

I almost threw out my arm with a thumber on Hole 25, and I did not recover until about Hole 40. No more thumbers all weekend long.

Holes 235 to 262 was a full tournament round; Holes 249 to 262 were holes that were off-limits during the overnight marathon. However, while playing the overnight loop and definitely "dialing" in most of those holes, I failed to card more than one birdie in that stretch. Going into Hole 249 I was six throws off my first round pace. I carded numerous birdies after 249 that I did not during my first two rounds nearly 20 hours earlier.

I achieved Hole 234 at 5:15am, and knowing that I would get the remaining 28 during the full round, I was able to take a two hour nap.

My partner who was going for the record with me, could not physically continue after Hole 223. He was going to join me for the final 28 but could not do that last overnight loop of 11. So I could finish as soon as possible, I ran-golf the last 11.

No lost discs, and at most spent no more than 2 minutes looking for a disc.

Lucid Verdict was used during the overnight rounds, but the best disc during the day was a PFN Star TeeBird. I never touched my Thunderbirds or XXX, and only used the FD on one hole. No aces or metals, but while the TeeBird parked many holes, the Truth was the only one that took a run at a basket.

I had two two-hour naps Sunday evening, slept that night for a full six hours, and was back on the road by 4am so I can teach today. My prep hour does not start until 1pm, and I will not be home until 4:30, assuming I do not stop and play a quick round at a local park (the discs are in the car but I do not have the right shoes or jacket with me). My arm is mildly sore, but not bad. It is my legs that are hurting, and I am wearing compression socks to keep me upright (as I do not teach from my desk).

Did okay, packed a little canvas messenger bag with putters and fairway drivers and played a tune-up round, and did some experimentation with some less-familiar discs to try to get to know them better. Only 2 strokes higher than usual.

A friend called and gave an invite. Had no intention of playing today because a storm system is blowing through the state (NM). We have either a cold rain, snow or sleet depending on what part of Albuquerque you are in at the time. But the invite came from a fellow addict and I could not refuse.
We only played 8 holes before a 30 mph wind kicked up (can you say "frostbite" windchill) and reason returned to our hooded brains. Here is the amazing thing... I had the best score I have ever had on those first 8 holes!
It is amazing what one can do when one stops thinking about mechanics. I was merely trying to brave the elements and leave with my aged cojohes in tact.

Good weekend over all. Went and played Jackson and Warner at the idgc this last Sunday. Played well on Jackson. Ft my butt handed to me on Warner.

Today I played the local course and had some great drives including my closest birdie inside the circle on a hole that's been giving me troubles. Think my bag is set and don't have any troubles saying this up coming season is going to be my best yet.

Meh. Doubles tonight...and it wasn't that great. I should have shot better with my partner. We both shot well for amateurs, a few advanced and pro guys took the money spots. We ended up 4 down, 8,7 and 5 cashed. I can think of 3 shots I should have thrown that I didn't, or that I missed that would be helped a ton in the final score. But, no use crying over spilt milk. Was still a good time throwing with good folks.

Made a putter change a while back. Been doing nothing but putting practice out on the course for the past 2 months. Finally feel like I've got it dialed in after today's practice and I'm ready to actually play a normal round soon. Maybe even get back into some competitive play after an 8 month break. :cool:

Played a fundraiser tourney (food bank) Saturday. Missed 6 putts inside 20' on the first 13 holes, was 3 over. Birdied 4 of the last 6 (19 hole course) to shoot 1 under.

Improved my best to -6 at the winter layout we played on the first round, second round struggled early, as high as +3, but the back-9 is working for me, sunk another couple of great putts, one even worth applause :clap: from the pool ahead of us (they were still searching for one disc on the snow, letting us play through). Finished at +1 for the second round. Somehow can't help but feel like if the round order had been reversed, would've left the course even more stoked.

Despite the windy conditions, was putting with the Icon Hunter most of the day, not sure when it happened, but it took a bad nick, there's a tongue of plastic (about the size of my little finger in width) sticking out from the rim :thmbdown: .

Played doubles with some friends. Came out in the winning team both rounds we played. Had a good putting and approach game today, driving could have been better. Was trying out M and Q Astras, and an Astra X. Astra X might just knock my firebird out, it just seemed better for me. Very stable with a hard finish, but not as diving a finish as I see with my Firebird.

Also both courses were new to me, starting an adventurous year for disc golf!

Ice Bowl fundraiser tourney at AJ Jolly today. Weather was awesome (1st round 33 degrees, sunny & calm, 2nd round 43, breeze picking up a little: best we could hope for out there!). Broke my personal best out there by three strokes the first round, including hitting hole 16 for a 150' deuce. :p The 48 put me on the lead card in Grandmasters, and a friend & I tied both rounds to split 2nd place. In all, a great day, if I don't count the loss of an ace disc in the lake warming up for round 2. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.