• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played pretty good today. Won first place at The prodigy par2. Won free entry to The Alien City Open and got an ace. Only missed 3 putts.

Don't know how to feel about today's rounds. On the surface, scores weren't bad, +0 (average-ish) and -3 (just one off PB), but looking at quality of shots, doesn't look all that great. Forehand (decent), backhand (atrocious, all over the place), putting (too hyzer-y), last one in particular a bad, bad one, I aim my putts assuming they'll leave my hand dead flat or minor anny, so disc being on a hyzer angle right away -> weakside chainouts :wall: . Saved par a number of times and on the second round, a good string of four birdies on five holes (ironically missing birdie on the shortest hole in that stretch of holes :thmbdown: ).

As if to cap the mixed feelings off, got metal on an ace run with a Legend Rival, same hole I had previously dinked metal with an Icon Rival, discs just refuse to bang the chains :doh: .

Shot -5 with two 4's during the first round of our local Ice Bowl playing Alternate Shot.

Then we shot -11 during Best Shot in the second round.

We ended up taking second, we were one stroke off the lead.

Oh yeah my partner hadn't played in like 3-4 months.

Finally birdied all 9 holes in one round at my local pitch and putt. First time out with a Fluid Warden and Opto Compass. Used the Compass for forehand on #3 and backhand for #6 as it's uphill 250 ft. Spotted my 14 yo son 5 strokes and kicked his narrow buttocks. Only complaint is that it was a little too warm out.

Springvale North

0 and -2 for the two rounds. First round started off nice, birdie putt on each of the first four holes, made two (both drop-ins). Then hole #5, first backhand hole with OB the entire way right and nothing but trees left, OB and double bogey on the card. Rest of that round went rather meh.

Second round, throwing the SR Outlaw again, turned it over on both of the first two holes and was +1 at that point. Then two nice shots off the tee for two birdies over the next three holes, back on track. Sadly, putts were banging all over the basket except the chains, at least on birdie putts, while par putts were getting nothing but chains even on similar length putts :wall: . Left about 3-5 birdies that I could've made on a good day. Thanks to a 40+ footer on the final hole for birdie, was left with a bit of an upside.

Annoying to feel more confident about 40-50 footers than 20 footers :gross: .

Played the temp backwards Heistand today. +2 first round.. Then bad enough to stop keeping score the second.

Really cool setup though. Some short throwaway ace run holes, but also some really cool long shots. Particularly liked the backwards version of 4, 5, 9, and 15.

54 and 56 today on courses with stupid high course pars. I did nail my first ace today. Harry Myers hole 15 from shorts with a c line pd2. Smashed pro side. I stood there in amazement for a bit. A group was throwing on the next hole were yelling. It took a moment to register what happened. I guess with all my chain outs I half expected it to fall out.

54 and 56 today on courses with stupid high course pars. I did nail my first ace today. Harry Myers hole 15 from shorts with a c line pd2. Smashed pro side. I stood there in amazement for a bit. A group was throwing on the next hole were yelling. It took a moment to register what happened. I guess with all my chain outs I half expected it to fall out.

Excellent. Stupid high pars I take to mean the tee signs at Audubon. They weren't that high until the concrete pads went in. Still, DGCR lists two sets of pars (the old along with the new) so I just use the old ones, or better yet the tried-and-true 3 per hole rule.

Congrats on your ace. Ace runs on H.M. 15 can result in some 50 foot comebackers so the risk makes your ace all the more sweet.

Ha-ha. Yeah. I never noticed the old pars on here. I usually keep score by hand. I'll have to take a look at that.
At Myers especially with the ground being hard, definitely potential for a big skip away. Used to just tombstone at the bottom of the basket and drop in for 2.

I asked John Hauck on this board about the generous pars that he gave some of the short tees at H.M. and this was his reply: "As a matter of philosophy, Blue and Red tees have the same par on all those holes, so that beginners can play the Reds with a par that makes sense for them. It's a debatable choice, but anyway, that's why I've been doing it."

I thought it was interesting and I can see his point. However, the sign pars at Audubon should be considered Junior pars and still generous at that. I wonder who the designer was and if they had any input to the latest changes. I know Audubon layout has changed drastically (hole 1-3) over the years, and brush clearing on the utility easement happens every decade or so.

On one hand I feel like having the outrageously high pars is kind of silly, but those same inflated pars tricked me into thinking that I was pretty good when I first started, which contributed to me getting hooked.

I think the only par difference at hm is on hole 7. It's the only one I've noticed thats different. Blue is 3 and red is 4.

Meathook that happened to me as well. I was happy with getting course par, then when I played Audubon for the first time shooting negative, it made me happy and made me want to keep getting better. I only rerecently went with the all 3 mentality, now it just pushes me more.

I think the only par difference at hm is on hole 7. It's the only one I've noticed thats different. Blue is 3 and red is 4.

I never really noticed that difference, although par 4 is generous for hole 7 (not that I don't put down many 4s there). Hole 1 at par 4, and certainly hole 17 (short) at par 5 is quite generous. Still though, I'm playing the course (and my previous best) not the par.

Yup, I agree with you 100%. Had to go through and check to make sure I remembered correctly, 7 is the only one with a different par. I can't imagine that ever being a 4 from the short placement, but like you, I've taken my fair share of 4's there.

Last edited:
I played like a goon today! It was nice out, so I decided to head to Hansen. I played my first round with just a Pro D Zeppelin and an R-Pro Aviar, and I had an absolute blast. Then, the wind started to get all finnicky, forcing me to add some beefier discs to the backpack. I opted for a Champion Starfire for headwind duties. I also added a Pro Wraith, a Z Buzzz SS, and a Big Z Mantis. And things got interesting. I was not expecting to fall for the Mantis. It has a prominent dome, which is something I usually despise. But for whatever reason, this thing just works for me. I was consistently overthrowing shots with it. I almost replicated my ace on hole 11 with it. Twice. Effortless forehand hyzerflipper. I will have to see how it behaves once it gets a bit warmer out before I become too enamored with it, but what a fun mold. And I have a clone of it too, which is always nice. I played a total of four rounds, did not bother to keep score. Felt good to get out on a day that is above freezing, that's for sure.

I had a cheat day today. I filled my Mahal with just heavy mids and headed out to one of the shorter pitch'n putt courses in my local area. Once there I unloaded my bag on each hole for a round, selected a few of my favorites, then threw a normal round. I bagged a fresh 175 Z Buzzz, and worn 178 Z Buzzz, a fresh 174 Star Mako, and a worn Z Comet for the second round. I felt like I was White Goodman left alone with a hot pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts