• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Someone Needs to teach Non Disc Golf players etiquette

Zaminski

I play at Cordorus at least once a week. It is posted there that if there are pedestrians on the course that you must skip the hole and play on. I agree with that because I believe every one should be able to enjoy the park. Usually there is not many issues because the picnic areas are set off the course. The last two weeks I have had to skip a hole because a family has moved a picnic table right beside a basket. There were plenty of other trees to move it under but they put it right beside the basket. Personally if they are willing to set up they should know the risk that comes with it and I should not have to spoil my fun because they are too lazy to move their table a few extra feet. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you deal with it? Their fun can be had anywhere but they invade into my fun area and they are protected by the park wtf.

I came across this recently. A couple had about 15 children with them playing kick ball in the middle of a fairway. I skipped the hole but as I walked down the fairway I stopped and talked to the 2 adults and explained they were in the middle of a golf course. They didn't stop playing there that day until they finished their game but I think the next time they picked another area of the park to play.

Politely inform them that the area is for disc golf so they will know next time.

What about the idiots that play disc golf that have none

def think DG courses should have some sort of way to keep pedestrians off course ... I mean I get that its a public park and such but there are def dangers in just walking threw a dg course that people never think about if they havent played

People across the cross I do not mind waiting for them. Its just when they set up their picnic area right beside a basket so you can not play that hole at all. I agree many disc golfers lack etiquette as well. Thanks for the suggestions on what to do in the situation. They may not have known. My brother and I thought about moving all the picnic tables 100 yds from any basket to solve this problem.

I've found most people to be friendly when you are friendly first. Usually they just don't know that there is such a thing as a disc golf course or that they are in the middle of one. Or they don't realize that getting hit with a disc golf disc is a recipe for a serious injury. This isn't a stray frisbee on a beach landing in someone's picnic, they will most likely be hurt.

The course shouldn't be designed such that pedestrians or picnickers would be in the way in the first place.

I've found most people to be friendly when you are friendly first. Usually they just don't know that there is such a thing as a disc golf course or that they are in the middle of one. Or they don't realize that getting hit with a disc golf disc is a recipe for a serious injury. This isn't a stray frisbee on a beach landing in someone's picnic, they will most likely be hurt.
This is a good post. I've never had any problems when I've let people know that they are in danger where they're at.

Manners go a long way.

The course shouldn't be designed such that pedestrians or picnickers would be in the way in the first place.

Ideally this would be the case

I live in south central PA like the OP and most of the courses in my general area have some sort of foot traffic or other human hazard in play.

I would love a park to be specifically designated for disc golf but I am thankful for the courses we do have.

Advance warnings about severe head trauma probably goes a long way too.

a friend of mine had the same problem. his solution was to go at night with a bunch of guys and a pick-up truck and put all the picnic tables on top of a pavilion so nobody could use them. probably not the best solution, but certainly makes a good story.

If the park is mainly used for disc golf and there are signs then I have no qualms with telling the people politely that there are other areas they could use that wouldn't interfere with your round. In the example used by the OP though, I would just let them know for next time. If they're reasonable then they'll learn from the experience or perhaps move immediately.

UGH! I just don't get it, most of us are using public parks and parkgoers have just as much right to any part. Is it really going to kill you to skip a hole??? That reminds me of when our club was doing cleanup and some other club members came through and told us "heads up". It was like, really, not only are you not offering to help, but, you play this course 5 times a week and you can't forego this hole this one time.

My biggest concern is injury and uninformed park goers. There are times when the parts of the couse walking/jogging/relaxing is a blind spot to us. I almost hit someone tonight on an uphill hole that is very steep just in front of the t-pad. I happened to see this little old lady and her schnauzer walking down the fairway just before I threw. And earlier when she passed me she had said something to the effect of I don't know what it is ya'll are doing but I know I couldn't do it.

Makes me feel like education of the general public is of upmost importance right now; everyone keeps talkng about increased foot traffic at their parks. I mean, it is the equivalent of walking through the middle of a baseball game, and the players are invisible but the ball is real.

def think DG courses should have some sort of way to keep pedestrians off course ... I mean I get that its a public park and such but there are def dangers in just walking threw a dg course that people never think about if they havent played

Large nets might work ...

I agree, if you all really wanted to make a difference you wouldn't be posting about it here. Take it up with your parks. Signs, or whatever you need to inform the public that there is a golf course there. If it comes down to it, take the initiative and put temporary signs up yourself. Make it clean, but make the point clear. It's not going to hurt you to skip a hole though. I fully agree that the public needs education as to where they're at though.

I usually fire a couple of warning shots over their heads with my Walther PPK. If that doesn't move the public from my public park then I let loose the dobermans.