• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something odd. Kinda cool. But not a fix.

Birds

Par Member
Well....
I did a pretty sweet Jessica Rabbit dye but made a pretty critical mistake and did not dye the colors in the correct order. Total brain lapse on my part. Anyways. I ended up dyeing the red next to last (blue last). When doing so I neglected to cut the vinyl to the exact red lines I wanted where it was next to black figuring it would not effect the black. What happened was those black areas exposed to the red remained dark, and even darker, and those masked by the vinyl were dulled (greyed a little) by the vinyl removing surface dye I assume, that had not fully sunk in. In an attempt to fix this dye I applied vinyl over the entire disc and dipped/heated in just water. I was thinking that there was a chance that most of the surface dye was already removed from the now grey areas and that doing so would remove dye from the freshly dyed area and possibly even things out. This was not the case. Dye was removed evenly from all areas. Heating probably released dye from the entire disc. Anyways the result was this kinda cool negative on teh vinyl afterwards....now if I only had a window to stick it on....haha.
I am thinking the only way to make this dye look right now would be to mask, cut out and dye the black only again to make a uniform black.
Thoughts?
483239_422340564505735_1353217435_n.jpg

550605_422179484521843_1416678430_n.jpg

I say leave it. There's no bleeds now. Is it worth the risk to you to make the black a little darker. It looks really good to me.

Birds show us a pic of the disc now, I'm guessing all those white spots on the vinyl above are where you had bubbles and they are now dark spots on the disc. Leave it if you want but I would consider marbling over all the dark colors (red, blue, black), adding some dark swirly action will kinda make the spots and lines disappear.

The lesson you should take away from this experience is that any time you remask you are gonna pull some color off the disc. You need to do you very best to eliminate all the bubbles and stay as close the edges of your black borders as possible when remasking.

Thanks guys. This one is worth putting straight into the bag. I certainly learned a lot on this dye. This was the first one for me with a few colors/remasks. I did not realize about the vinyl taking color away from the disc. Every piece of vinyl you lay down needs to be smooooooth. Still working on that part. I can get things pretty smooth, but as Dan noted there are still tiny bubbles....and the result is dark spots. You can see them in this pic of what the disc looks like now. Not sure I am ready to marble over this. Sounds like more trouble than its worth at this point but...maybe I just need a day or two to think about it. I may try this dye again from the beginning one of these days too......
382842_422603644479427_1618954034_n.jpg

When doing a big remask like that I try to take it in sections as much as I can. Using contact paper to attach smaller sections allows you to control the air bubbles a lot easier than trying to remask the entire disc at once. Still pretty sweet dye either way, I say don't change a thing man.