• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Spider, Panther, Cro why no love

thats why i hate hearing talk of spiders cuz instantly i miss throwing one. one of my first discs ever

The one disc I won't leave home without, but use very rarely. It taught me the mid-range FH (now a beat in Drone or Zone for those) but still the best 'everything' mid - killer for scoobies, anny FH from deep rough on the left side, and an overhand master with either grip. If I'm trouble off the tee, I only grab my spider to go searching for my disc.

Had a fantastic gummy champ green one, tried to replace it with a firmer star one, and just now saw above that they have them in Gstar so off to the Factory Store I go....

^Oh yeah, a GStar Spider would be a disc I could really sink my teeth into. Love the gummy Protos but they are getting a tad expensive and I don't like risking them on blind/water/etc shots.

I like spiders, but overlaps with my rocs. Slightly less glide, but not a brick. My wife likes spider for her up shot disc because it sits down consistently and doesn't glide past the basket when she gets a clean release. She putts out with it a lot of the time also. They are great headwind putters.

The one disc I won't leave home without, but use very rarely. It taught me the mid-range FH (now a beat in Drone or Zone for those) but still the best 'everything' mid - killer for scoobies, anny FH from deep rough on the left side, and an overhand master with either grip. If I'm trouble off the tee, I only grab my spider to go searching for my disc.

Had a fantastic gummy champ green one, tried to replace it with a firmer star one, and just now saw above that they have them in Gstar so off to the Factory Store I go....

its a trick disc for sure. i would throw everything with it. thumbers, tommies, scoobies, flicks, swing flicks, backhand, punch shots through leaves and branches.

i need to stop reminiscing i miss mine haha. i even got an ace with it

I used to throw first run star cros.

Great disc.

Then I found Rocs.

The problem with Cros (and Spiders), is that when I bag them, I never throw them.

I recently took my champ Spider out of storage and started throwing it again and think I may now have a spot for it!

I've improved a lot over the last year and now my putters fly as far as my mids used to but, I now find my DX Roc, Truth and Roc3 are encroaching on my Gazelle and Leopard so I found I had an unpredictable distance gap between 250 and 300ft or so.

In field work so far, seems I can get a nice clean standstill throw with the Spider for those 260-275' shots that I seem to be struggling with lately. Oh, the problems of improving!

Panther is still in the bag and tomorrow I'm going to play a round with just the Suspect, Spider and Panther as my mids and see if I miss anything.

People seem to like larger diameter mids, for me it's the extra glide and availability in base plastics.

I was just thinking this. I LOVE my gators but most people prefer rocs, buzzzes or other lg diameter mids.

Love my Champion Pink Panther. it was my 'valet parking' disc before the Colt came out, which says more about just how great the Colt is than any problem with the Panther. I still like to bag the Panther on occasion and throw it.

A friend of mine who throws only forehand has a Star Cro. He likes it. I bag a Roc3, so I'm not sure the Cro could make it into my bag...

I used to love my star Spider. I got my first ace with it: 210 feet, straight, straight into the basket. Very much a "point and shoot" type of disc (I would go post it in that thread if there weren't already about 10 million discs posted there). It came out of the bag a while after I got that ace (after I lost the Buzzz that got me aces 2 and 3), and I just never replaced it. Now for similar straight shots I would probably throw either the Colt (longer) or a beat Pig (shorter). Spider is a great, neutral, slow-ish mid for sure. Now I'm getting nostalgic and want to throw a Spider; kind of wish it still had a spot in my bag. :\

The Spider's a nice utility disc, especially in champion plastic. Never liked the Panther, a very domey mid basically, and in unusually stiff champion plastic...every one I've seen. Now included in Innova's premium starter set, what a waste.

This thread makes me miss my "multi-purpose" champ panther. I liked the slightly gummy opaque plastic but it was early in my career and I didn't know enough about older runs vs current runs. If I had known it wouldn't be off-the-shelf replaceable it wouldn't have fallen victim to an "empty the bag at every tough lie" practice round.

This thread makes me miss my "multi-purpose" champ panther. I liked the slightly gummy opaque plastic but it was early in my career and I didn't know enough about older runs vs current runs. If I had known it wouldn't be off-the-shelf replaceable it wouldn't have fallen victim to an "empty the bag at every tough lie" practice round.

I have 3 of the translucent (maybe opaque?) Panthers, and I think they're older runs. And all Pink Panthers (I'm old enough to remember the original movie and the cartoons).

The Spider's a nice utility disc, especially in champion plastic. Never liked the Panther, a very domey mid basically, and in unusually stiff champion plastic...every one I've seen. Now included in Innova's premium starter set, what a waste.

I have only used the Panther for a year and mine isn't domey or stiff, kind of has that CE plastic feel. I pawed a few of them last week thinking I should get a back up, and they were all the same as the one I currently own.

Have they always been domey and hard, or are just the newer ones low domed and gummy?

I have only used the Panther for a year and mine isn't domey or stiff, kind of has that CE plastic feel. I pawed a few of them last week thinking I should get a back up, and they were all the same as the one I currently own.

Have they always been domey and hard, or are just the newer ones low domed and gummy?

If a new run is lower dome and gummy, good to hear. I had 2 lime green champs bought online that were pretty domey and in a very stiff plastic. This is from a couple years ago at least.

The ones I've seen on the shelf and in the starter sets since, are the same, some even more domey than my 2. Maybe they're from older runs still floating around, IDK. But it's a huge turnoff for what otherwise could be a neat tweener disc. If you want the same thing, with a nice flat top and superior plastic, try the Impact, IMO.

Panther great disc for under stable mid range and even a good disc to learn to roll with. Spider and Cro great alternatives for people who don't throw rocs due to the feel

I know people who bag CE Spiders and old Champ Panthers.

Different molds for different people. That's the nice thing about the diversity of molds out there. Use what feels the best.

Funny how this thread popped up. I have since moved on from cro, spider, panther to tensor, alias, theory. Still love my panther, but the cro and spider not so much.

Panther great disc for under stable mid range and even a good disc to learn to roll with. Spider and Cro great alternatives for people who don't throw rocs due to the feel

yea panther is a great roller, I should put that back in. It's one of the few good short bh roller discs.

I recently found a 8/10 pearly blue pro line spider at pias. Any of you nostalgic mouth as wanna take it off my hands?

Latest posts