• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spring is the hardest

Can't give info re: rest of the country, but I can confirm that (near Chicago) its a friggin' swamp out on the course(s) right now.

Played yesterday on a super-saturated course...two rounds and managed somehow not to get completely drenched. Melted snow plus rain equals ugh.

The point that I am making, from experience, is that no matter how much it rains for the rest of the spring, the ground will still be too muddy to play until may. And it will be the same next year, and the year after that. I remember playing little league, and we had to get the season started in early-mid april. It was always a major struggle with the field conditions and would usually result in one or two games being played in a total swamp.

I walk out on my deck and look at the ground every morning and determine if its dry enough to go to the DG park next to my house. Its been too wet and muddy for a couple weeks to go. I did try it last week and I was soaked with water and mud after the first 3 holes, so I spent an hour or so practicing my putting and called it good. Its gonna be too wet around here for another month to play comfortably.

Spring? Played a tourney yesterday that barely hit 40, poured rain 50% of the time, rained the rest of the time and was windy too...didn't feel very springy. Oh there was some hail too. hahaha.

Its not usually a problem around the mid-atlantic but this years winter was ridiculous with 80" of snow and now its been raining a lot the past couple weeks. I've only played two courses recently and they are really flat, so the snow melted, but they have been somewhat muddy.

Our courses aren't so soggy as all that, despite the rain. The real issue with this time of year is the grass. 14 to 16 inches of grass hides discs really well. It'll be a few more months before they disc the fields for fire abatement, or the grass dies and gets trampled.
Not a reason not to play, just a reason to bring other folks to help search.