• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretching?

Thumber

Double Eagle Member
Just curious how many people stretch and warm up before a round. For casual rounds I do some. For serious, match play and tournys I usually take 15 minutes or so to jog around a bit then stretch things out. When I do I have far fewer errant first drives compared to throwing cold.

Stretches
- neck rolls
- shoulder rolls
- Swimmers
- Shoulder circles for at least a minute (get them burning good)
- Shoulder and tricep stretch
- back stretches (2 or 3 different ones)
- Hamstring stretch
- Quad stretch
- Calf stretch

Always..my home course is a ten minute walk so I start off with that, then stretch for a good 10 or 15 minutes (basically the same stretches the OP listed), then throw some practice puts for 10 minutes or so. I find the more I stretch before a round the better my muscles feel the next day.

Run, jumping jacks, burpees. Then I go through a yoga vinyasa. Get into a deep squat and do the samson stretch.

www.mobilitywod.com is MONEY for learning about mobility and "stretching".

Yes.
I am 46 yrs old, so I need to get the juices flowing, and, to prevent injuries.

ehhh not really. i'll stretch my throwing arm out a little (maybe 2 minutes) but nothing past that.

"Cheetahs don't stretch"

- Deion Sanders, aka Chris Hysell.

cheetah.jpg

Exactly.

Or Woody Harrelson in Zombieland. "You ever see a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelle?"

lion_stretch.jpg

I usually just stretch my throwing arm a bit, if not my legs also. Now that I think of it I should probably take my time and do some more stretches before I throw.

Yeah I think about stretching... but usually i just helicopter my throwing arm and stretch it like twice... the first couple holes kinda suffer though :\ haha

I always seem to get to the course before the people I'm playing with, so I'll do a couple arm and leg stretches to kill some time.

ran a 5k, rode 8 miles on a bike, had a soccer game all in the same day...two days later threw my putter 350. still wondering about cause and effect with that one

I try and get my legs stretched out, but I was a distance runner for 9 years, so I tend to do that for just about every physical activity I do.

My thought has been more along the lines of 'warmup to throw, don't throw to warmup'. Stretching cold muscles does nothing for you, really. Take a brisk walk or jog, or do some jumping jacks/etc to get the blood flowing, then stretch out a little bit.

I think you're a lot more likely to hurt yourself if you just step out of the car and start hucking.