• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

Gonna have to say Rhyno. Just enough glide for that type of shot, flies straight, and dies where it hits.

No offense, but I think you're way off on suggesting a Zone for someone who has to "crank" a Yeti Aviar to get to 100 feet.

Instead of the Zeppelin, which is not in production, try the Innova Aero. It's cheap, plentiful, straight as an arrow with mininal effort, and glides forever.

Just my 2 cents.

I have success throwing this shot with an X Stratus, but that's just me.

My Classic Aviars fly straighter than any other disc that I throw. I don't have any idea what's different about a Classic vs. any other Aviar P & A (beadless Aviars), other than the plastic seems a little stiffer than a typical DX. But they really don't turn or fade unless over-thrown or poorly thrown.

Gonna have to say Rhyno. Just enough glide for that type of shot, flies straight, and dies where it hits.

What is with recommending Zones and Rhynos for tunnel shots? These discs are pretty overstable and the OP said he has trouble getting an Aviar out 100 feet

Grip Line Spike. Super glidey, super fast for a putter, finishes where you put it. If you can't do it with that, work on your form as I cannot suggest any midrange for 100 feet and in.

What is with recommending Zones and Rhynos for tunnel shots? These discs are pretty overstable and the OP said he has trouble getting an Aviar out 100 feet

A lot of people (like me for instance) can laser a Rhyno 100 feet to a dirt landing with very little skip. This is what makes people suggest them.

It takes some good wrist. Since the OP is having trouble getting the D out of Aviars, you are right Prerube.

I'll suggest the OP play putter only rounds. Learn to use that putter man! Short game is for the winners.

I personally use a beat r-pro hydra for these straight approaches. I am unique that way:)

Either a good ole Aviar P&A or a heavy DX Dart.

I use a KC Aviar for this shot, but mine is pretty heavily worn, flies more like a P&A now.

If you are turning over a yeti aviar when you "crank it" hard enough to get it out 100 feet, then you need to focus more on your putter work. Play some all putter rounds. You should be able to hit all kinds of lines out to at least 200 feet.

From my little experience, dealing with this shot requires a putter or comet regardless of how much I may want to throw something else.

Here's the thing though, I have an weak to moderate snap unless I focus on it, which means that my aim is out the window. So, that doesn't work.

Instead, I try to duplicate the full stoke and follow through of stand still drive but at a speed chosen to suit the required distance. This worked pretty well for me so far but I still catch my self shortening up and not following through sometimes. Note to self: Follow through may be the single most important part for this distance even if it takes some relearning.

Rambling I guess. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Comet and Yeti Aviar for me even though I have a pure (slippery for me). Voodoo and Warlok are pretty great too.

Mako or Roc Classic if im going for the basket
Teebird if im trying to lay up and slide the disc close to the basket
Avenger SS if the shot is really narrow and low

If you are turning over a yeti aviar when you "crank it" hard enough to get it out 100 feet, then you need to focus more on your putter work. Play some all putter rounds. You should be able to hit all kinds of lines out to at least 200 feet.

I like this suggestion...I have always wanted to play a putter round.

The attached image is the shot I am referring to. The pin you see on the RIGHT is the A-Pin...the Red Line is the B-Pin which is about 100' from the spot this pic was taken...which is mid-fairway..

as you can see...no room to hyzer or anyzer...i need to toss it really straight for about 100'...

From this distance...even a little fade is dangerous...missing left or right blocks the putt

Attachments

• 388c2bb5.jpg
    388c2bb5.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Latest posts