• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Switching Entirely to Lat64 - Your Recommendations

That's my experience, anyways. A lot of Latitude discs are touchy. They are the definition of risk/reward. Hit them right and you won't stop grinning. Have a bad round with them and you'll question why you ever were a Lat fan in the first place.

With the little experience I have had with Lat discs this is what I've experienced. My first shot with my first Lat64 disc was golden. After that it was hit and miss.

I have/had that experience with every disc/manufacturer I've tried. I think it attributes more to amateur inconsistency in the abilities of the one throwing the discs.

But hey it's better than the old "Discraft equivalent of ____" threads.

I've been slowly moving toward Lat stuff myself. I carry a mixed bag, still trying to figure out my line up.

I love the Fuse, River, and Flow. I'm RHBH, and in the roghly the same power range. What I like about the Lat 64 discs is the glide (I have to throw like 75 % low tunnel shots in this town) when thrown at say 80% power. Also, for the understable molds, the roll on them seems a bit slower, more fluid, and predictable for me...maybe that too is a function of glide. The glide on the River was a mind-blowing experience for me.

Not to start a "what's the x version of the y" sub-thread, but the example I'd use is the Fuse vs. the Comet. The Comet is a killer disc, but for me, the fuse offers better control. Though I suppose that for these sort of molds, the amount of rotation you're getting is as/more improtant than arm/disc speed on release....?

Thanks to the other posters for other suggestions...

I use a mostly Lat64 bag, but with Westside and Prodiscus mixed in as well. It's been working out well for me, and does help with confidence and disc selection. I carry 8-9 discs, and know what each of them can and won't do.

So yeah,

Halo for Max D in a breeze
Slaidi for OS driver and utility disc (works well powered down too)
Bolt for long anny/ wide open D
Striker main control driver
River US control driver
Pain
Warship
Jokeri

The Havoc might be too much disc for your distance. Consider a Saint as a primary driver.

The Vision will be really flippy and not necessarily great as a workhorse fairway driver. I'd go for a River instead, or pair the vision with a Striker.

I was wondering if the Vision would be too flippy. I used to have an old, flat teebird that I absolutely loved, but it was lost =[. I have one friend with a Striker, and another with a River. I'll ask to throw both of them, thanks for the input!

As for the Havok, I think I will agree with you. I throw 350-375 with consistency in an open field, but I have yet to play at a disc golf course with a 100 foot wide basket. I will take a look at the Saint.

I never really understood taking out discs that work for you for loyalty to a brand. Lat discs are nice, but I would really struggle trying to fulfill all the things my various discs do. We all have quirks...some like a small rim, OAT, high end/low end plastic... Why limit your choices. Not meaning to slam the OP, I guess I have not tried the minimalism thing. More of a question than anything else.

No offense taken at all! Your opinion is a fair one.

Mostly, I've gotten tired of looking for the various discs from Innova, since the discs from various years seem to fly a little differently. Sometimes the discs are dome-y, sometimes they're flat, etc etc. Being fairly OCD, and because I'm not looking to go pro anytime soon, I think I would enjoy looking down into a bag and seeing all discs from one company, especially one with pretty discs such as Lat64.

The limiting factor on my game is the lack of time I have to play. Because of my amateur-ness, having fun looking at my bags plays a larger role in my disc selection than it would be for a more serious player, undoubtedly.

Just did the same thing last year, happy to offer my opinions. For referrence though, I'm a RHBH player, and top out D 430-450' so some discs may react differently to me than you.

First things first though, you gotta get your ratings right. Idk where you got them from, but from my experience and research I find these to be more correct:

Havoc: 13; 6; -2; 3
Flow: 11; 6; -1; 3
Villain: 12; 5; 0; 4
Vision: 7; 6; -3; 1

With someone of your D power, I'd highly back you throwing a Flow, but not as an anny driver. That is unless you get yourself a flatter one. You should most def pick up a Saint (9; 7; -1; 2) great for hyzerflips and holding anny lines better than a Flow.
I recomend either a Trident or a XXX (6; 5; 1; 4) for a short range meathook driver/mid. I lean more towards the Trident (5; 4; 0; +2.5). Its a fantastic headwind/FH/spike hyzer disc. I view those both as a hybrid driver in ball golf.
I see you love your Buzzzes, no argument there, but throw a Core (6; 6; -1; 1) with a lil dome, and you'll shelf those Buzzes within a week. Just saying.

You can see what I throw in my signature. If you have any questions about ofther discs, just PM my or something and I'm happy to help. Just remember these important things about Lat64. While discraft and innova have inconsistentcies with dome/no dome, Lat is very straight forward: dome=bit more OS, flat=bit more US qualities. The only disc this doesn't apply to is the Trident, flatter the better. They are also very form/nose sensitive. If you have bad form, or have had things hidden by other discs, you'll find that Lat's discs will really show those issues with form. The plus molding aids in glide, but many find them easy to have slip out of their hands. But with time and practice, you'll never find discs easier to control, glide for miles and flat out wow ppl on the course with how they look. Enjoy whatever you choose to throw.

Thank you for your comprehensive post!

Regarding the Havok and the Villian, I showed your post to a playing partner of mine, and he completely agreed (he throws a lot of Lat64 as well). I got those ratings from the Lat64 website, but perhaps they do ratings different than US based companies.

I have read your suggestions, and I will adjust my list accordingly, a lot of what you wrote connected to my sensibilities. I may PM you in the future, thanks again.

I did the same thing about 18 months ago, and the only disc that remains now is the Flow. Opto Flows bomb and I could rely on them.

I found the other drivers to be pretty inconsistent. I think the Havoc says "extremely overstable" on the disc, and the ones I had were flippy flippy. I couldn't get into the Pures (as a KC Aviar putter before). I gave it about 3 months, but slowly switched them out.

The Flow remains, I still love the Trident, and I haven't thrown a Saint yet.

I like the experiment though, and I wish you luck. It's fun experimenting like that, and sometimes the challenge of learning and mastering new discs is more fun than strictly using the same bag and focusing on improving "your game." My bag's always in flux for that reason.

Thanks for the good wishes. Like I've mentioned to other posters, and while I'm a very competitive person, my day job soaks up a lot of time and so I can't play disc golf as often as I'd like. I think this experiment offers me another meta-game to have fun with.

Thank you for your comprehensive post!

Regarding the Havok and the Villian, I showed your post to a playing partner of mine, and he completely agreed (he throws a lot of Lat64 as well). I got those ratings from the Lat64 website, but perhaps they do ratings different than US based companies.

I have read your suggestions, and I will adjust my list accordingly, a lot of what you wrote connected to my sensibilities. I may PM you in the future, thanks again.

Lat's rating system is VERY odd to me (as is Westside's). It looks like the Innova ratings, but they don't apply them the same way. For instance, Innova's speed ratings are based solely on wing width. So you can tell pretty clearly that wings of X width will be Y rating. Lat and Westside seem to have a speed rating based on the perceived actual speed of the disc flying through the air. So something they rate as speed 12, may actually be a disc that Innova would rate as speed 11.

With that said, I like inboundsdiscgolf.com right now for good comprehensive flight listings.

It can actually help the mental game and help in bag building. Having brand continuity can make it easier to choose the right disc for the shot. Particularly for players that struggle to eliminate overlap, dropping to one manufacturer can help eliminate overlap and make disc selection easier.

I'm planning to play around with some bag continuity in the coming year during my casual rounds. These will include all discraft, latitude drivers, discmania drivers, all vibram, and probably many others.

Yeah, I mean right now, I carry 18 discs, and at my skill level, it's probably completely unnecessary. It'll be a refreshing "restart" to do this I think :thmbup:.

No judgement, rather a observation. If you feel it was worded in judgement, I appreciate you correcting me; I didn't intend it that way. I agree with throwing whatever you like, it is after all a game and if you aren't enjoying yourself, what is the point?

As you said, he doesn't need to "justify" it, however, I am curious why. I am always curious as to the driving force behind any decision (disc golf or otherwise). If he simply loves Swedish plastic, so be it. However, he could be making the decision based on a false premise, such as "only Swedish plastic has glide."

It's mostly for fun, and because I think they're pretty. For someone of my skill level, it can get a little obnoxious to try to figure out which of my 18-20 discs to throw, and I thought it'd be fun to go minimalist for a little while, and perhaps build back out to a more varied bag, perhaps not. It's something new to do :clap:.

I'm right about at the OPs power range myself. I also throw (mostly) Latitude. And similarly, I refuse to give up my Buzzz. I've tried and discarded a lot of Lat molds, but I also don't carry that much.

A lighter GL Flow could be used for anny shots. I recommend a Diamond or River for pure anhyzer shots, though. But learn to hyzer flip the Flow and you'll be pleased with it as a distance driver. The Saint, for all it's tredy hype, is truly one of Lat's most reliable and easy-to-use discs. No all-Lat bag should be without one.

The River is a strange bird. For the first year, I hated it. Once I got in tune with its sensitivity, I fell in love. It's one disc that's like my Buzzz; it will never leave my bag.

I personally love a stiffer, faster putter. So Lat works for me. If you're into slower, beaded, or floppy putters, you may want to look elsewhere. (Or try a Judge from DD) I still use a Discraft Zone in my OS putter slot.

joshuajames and redrum touched on it as well, but the Trident is a seriously useful mid/utility disc. It's a fairway driver in speed only. The disc handles like a faster mid, and is just as easily controlled for those tricky get-out-of-trouble shots.

If you really want a bombing anny driver, grab an Air Bolt. Otherwise, I'd stay away from their speed 13 line-up for now.

That's my experience, anyways. A lot of Latitude discs are touchy. They are the definition of risk/reward. Hit them right and you won't stop grinning. Have a bad round with them and you'll question why you ever were a Lat fan in the first place.

Thanks for the input, it's good to hear with someone who has a similar arm as myself. Also, congrats on the "keeper" :thmbup:.

I don't quite understand only buying one brand unless you are sponsored by them. Even then, many pros will include discs from sister brands. Innova players carry Discmania. Discraft players carry DGA.

However, if you are going all Lat64, I would echo Keltik's suggestion. Maybe drop in a Flow if it is really windy...for headwind distance drives. Other than that, it's a pretty solid minimalist lineup. I use Saints and Teebirds as my primary drivers and they work well. I also carry a Vision for rollers or really tight anhyzers.

What? Lol

Latest posts