• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teaching Disc golf in a Bikini?

A post labeled "Teaching under privileged kids in Africa Disc Golf" would recieve just as many hits that matter. Using education and charitable activities as a promotional tool presents female disc golfers in both a more serious and more respectable way than a post labeled "Bikini Disc Golf"

You get major props for taking time out of your work to do such a thing as bring a fun exciting game to these kids. However I am someone very interested in bringing Disc Golf to both women and children and think that more women especially younger girls will show a greater interest in the sport if they see that they can rely on athletic ability than sexuality to gain respect and popularity among fellow discers.

I've been posting these video's for 11 weeks and trust me, that is not the case.
Maybe you should try it yourself before you are so quick to judge the title's power.

A post labeled "Teaching under privileged kids in Africa Disc Golf" would recieve just as many hits that matter. Using education and charitable activities as a promotional tool presents female disc golfers in both a more serious and more respectable way than a post labeled "Bikini Disc Golf"

You get major props for taking time out of your work to do such a thing as bring a fun exciting game to these kids. However I am someone very interested in bringing Disc Golf to both women and children and think that more women especially younger girls will show a greater interest in the sport if they see that they can rely on athletic ability than sexuality to gain respect and popularity among fellow discers.

Also, this video was posted on the "DiscGolf4Women" page. The title was "Disc Golf in Africa, Week 11, It's all about the Kids"

Do you know how many likes I got out of 1,400 members?

3 likes.

You are allowed your opinion, even if it isn't right.

Did you give the kids any discs before you left?

No, I didn't give away any discs. I need all of the discs in order to give my clinics at the African school's over the next few weeks.

Upon my departure, I'll be donating to two different schools: 2 travel baskets, 30 E.D.G.E discs and 40 discs mixed (drivers, mids, putters).

Was going to post. Something less than complimentary, I think, but I digress. Instead, I'm going to simply ask... how I can contribute to the expansion of disc golf for the underprivileged youth of South Africa? I've worked and served in Cape Town, and I know many kids need a different experience. What's your goal, besides these videos? I admit that I haven't watched this one, because I have not been overly impressed with the previous ones. Talk to me, Holly. How can I help? Because watching videos isn't enough.

At this point, only donations of discs would assist. I won't be here long enough to receive any more shipments at this time, so that isn't feasible. It can take 2-4 weeks for a shipment to arrive, not to mention horrible custom charges.

As far as the video's go...Promoting disc golf isn't all about going to schools and teaching, it's also about playing the sport in the public where passer by's can see you playing. They stop, stare and curiosity gets the best of them. Next thing you know, you're explaining the sport and they are making a few putts.
I've shared the sport with atleast 50 people who have seen me putting in public.

I'm also giving clinics to local schools, as well as clinics to the existing Ultimate Community, as well as a friendly tournament at an 18 hole course I designed in Stellenbosch, South Africa, called "The Bosch"

The videos are also a way for me to show the landscape and scenery of CapeTown to my family and friends without posting 5,000 pictures.

It should be something that everyone can enjoy, whether it's about picturesque views, teaching, children, throwing, putting, girls, traveling abroad, etc.

The title of this week's video is actually "Disc Golf in Africa - Week 11 - It's all about the Kids', but unfortunately that didn't spark any interest at all.

I'm doing my best to promote the sport abroad, help children learn about the sport, get the proper materials needed over here to help it continue to stay alive and share my trip overseas with everyone.

If you aren't pleased or impressed with any of it, that's your problem.

I can't make everyone happy, but i can certainly make a lot of people happy.

Happy Discing.

I think that your efforts are noble, however I feel that you could have taught disc golf in a burlap sack and you would still get the same desperate attention on this forum.

You are allowed your opinion, even if it isn't right.

I wasn't aware that it was a wrong opinion to think that 'more women especially younger girls will show a greater interest in the sport if they see that they can rely on athletic ability than sexuality to gain respect and popularity among fellow discers.' I sure hope I am not wrong for the sake of the sport in general.

By the way... as I stated earlier in the thread you are doing good work in bringing such an awesome sport to those kids. Kudos on that.

Holly

Sorry if I missed this but you mentioned you are leaving Africa soon whats the next stop? I have enjoyed the posts. Its always nice to see parts of the world that I will never see.

Holly

Sorry if I missed this but you mentioned you are leaving Africa soon whats the next stop? I have enjoyed the posts. Its always nice to see parts of the world that I will never see.

Heading out west for some snowboarding, then to Phoenix to start the tour.

I wasn't aware that it was a wrong opinion to think that 'more women especially younger girls will show a greater interest in the sport if they see that they can rely on athletic ability than sexuality to gain respect and popularity among fellow discers.' I sure hope I am not wrong for the sake of the sport in general.

By the way... as I stated earlier in the thread you are doing good work in bringing such an awesome sport to those kids. Kudos on that.

That was a joke, obviously you don't get my humor.

The title of this video is- "It's all about the Kids" as you can clearly see at the intro of the video if you watch it.

I labeled the video to cater to the audience in this forum.

If using the word "Bikini" in a title is the most horrible thing I've ever done, well I guess I'm doing ok.

It seems to me that you're looking to badmouth me regardless of the above and beyond act I'm doing to further the sport.

Is this what you would say to Olympic athlete, LoLo Jones about posing half nude for a few sports magazines, or what about Venus Williams posing in a bikini for Sports Illustrated or Olympic athlete, Lindsey Vonn posing in a bikini for sports illustrated?

I don't plan on my titles to earn me popularity. I would like my acts of kindness and giving to earn respect amongst fellow disc golfers...popularity is overrated.

Athletes, male or female, are always more popular when said athletes have attractive physical qualities. There is plenty of rersearch work to support it as well. Nothing wrong with selling your image. Holly will probably put more discs in more young women's hands than any other female disc golfer if she continues her efforts.

She is comfortable putting herself out there, and I'm not sure any current female disc golfers are willing(or comfortable) to put in this much time/effort. I have to applaud her for such efforts. If we didn't know she was a model, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion but because she landed on the "scene" as the pro model some of us feel obligated to question her intentions and methods

Wow, A gal shows up on our forum. She posts some video of her teaching kids in a far away place. She obviously loves Disc Golf, Africa and kids.
What happens here? She has to defend herslf from a bunch of armchair judges who most likely have done nothing to grow the sport compared to her.
The bikini was just a bonus and a way to catch our attention on the forum, got mine.
Nice job Holly. Haters always find a way to hate...

Is there any doubt that those kids had a heckuva lot of fun? Or that they'll remember the day they met an American lady throwing discs in their park and she let them play, too? And, they got to star in a movie?

There's nothing like a pack of kids having fun to brighten one's day. If those kids got nothing more than fun and smiles for an afternoon, that's enough.

Good for you, Holly.

Perhaps this is my inner-contrarian coming out, but Sirius makes some good points that are worth thinking about. I want my 2-year-old daughter to love disc golf, and not have to see it as something sexual. Yes, the title will get more hits on this forum, and that is Holly's right. But as an open forum it is anyone else's right to post an opinion on it without having to be viewed as judgmental.

I'd also be willing to venture the 3 hits the video got with the less intriguing title on the women's forum is 3 more hits than it would have gotten with the bikini title.

In the end, everyone is allowed to see this how they want, whether they be a disc golfing model or a disc golfing joe schmoe.

Be on the lookout for my upcoming video; "Disc golf I in a bannana hammock and pasties".

so.... a bikini is selling sex?

Don't take your kids to the swimming pool either then please; swimming is all about sexuality.