• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] teebird t3

I've been throwing the same teebird since they were released at the pro shop. Minimal damage, but I demolished a Roc 3 with only two throws. I can't explain it.

Finally got a T3 a couple days ago, can't say I care for the G* plastic but the disc was nice. Easy to release both BH and FH, could put a bit of power behind it before it would start turning. Seems just like they advertise the 3 series to be a slightly faster version of the older model. Can't wait till it comes in champion for standard runs.

Has anybody thrown these next to a Legacy Rival? Curious to see how similar the flight patterns are. The rival flies very close to the 11x TBs and feel very flat.

Those camp s. T3 are pretty gummy

I bagged each at one time or another but never threw them side by side. fwiw thrown FH the rival shows a touch less HSS than the T3 and bit more glide.

Bought a 170 G star T3 today. I threw it quite a few times in my round and so far this is the best out of the box Teebird i've thrown (I've never thrown a Dx).

Most teebirds are pretty overstable out of the box (Champs and Gstar / Star Teebird) but this one was pretty damn straight , just what i always wanted out of a Teebird but had to work it in for a while. Overall i'd say this is gonna be my new Teebird of choice for a while

I wonder if Innova created the TeeBird3 mold because they recognize that the current TeeBird mold pieces are approaching the end of their life in the next couple years and want to transition everyone over to the new mold before that happens. I've actually wondered that about the Mako3, Shark3, and Roc3 as well.

I realize they still sell regular Makos, Sharks, Rocs, and TeeBirds right now, and I know the story they put out about having McBeth help them create the Roc3 mold. However, if Innova could see that those mold bits would be at the end of their useful lives in the next couple years, wouldn't it be smart of them to actually create a new mold that's as similar as they can make it and then get everyone used to those versions of the discs before the current molds become unusable? I recall some of you who have injection molding experience saying that the molds don't last forever, so it seems plausible to me that they would be doing this. I really don't know why they would go about making new versions of these molds otherwise, since they are very popular in their current incarnations and it costs a lot of money to make a new mold.

I wonder if Innova created the TeeBird3 mold because they recognize that the current TeeBird mold pieces are approaching the end of their life in the next couple years and want to transition everyone over to the new mold before that happens. I've actually wondered that about the Mako3, Shark3, and Roc3 as well.

I realize they still sell regular Makos, Sharks, Rocs, and TeeBirds right now, and I know the story they put out about having McBeth help them create the Roc3 mold. However, if Innova could see that those mold bits would be at the end of their useful lives in the next couple years, wouldn't it be smart of them to actually create a new mold that's as similar as they can make it and then get everyone used to those versions of the discs before the current molds become unusable? I recall some of you who have injection molding experience saying that the molds don't last forever, so it seems plausible to me that they would be doing this. I really don't know why they would go about making new versions of these molds otherwise, since they are very popular in their current incarnations and it costs a lot of money to make a new mold.

I have experience in this.. It would be as simple as just making another mold (from the same 3D data) or "tool" for the discs to be made. They have likely done this at least a few times already. They would use the exact same data to do so and it would not be different from a previous tool/mold unless they wanted it to be.

I really don't know why they would go about making new versions of these molds otherwise, since they are very popular in their current incarnations and it costs a lot of money to make a new mold.
I'm guessing Innova doesn't bat too much of an eye at replacing mold parts at this stage of the game. Just the costs of doing business when you are at their level.

It seems like it would be a DISASTEROUS move to 'retire' the old molds and replace everything with the '3' version. As it stands... they just sell more discs when the '3' version comes out while people still bag and love the classic molds.

As someone who went to Legend Rivals for my straight to fade FW Driver because of the high cost of "good" TeeBirds, do the Champ T3 compare to the slightly less overstable flight of the Rivals compared to Champ TeeBs? Legend Rivals are now $40+ new, and I only have one. Really really love Jolly Launcher and this Champ T3 sounds like EXACTLY what I want. Anyone thrown both?

As someone who went to Legend Rivals for my straight to fade FW Driver because of the high cost of "good" TeeBirds, do the Champ T3 compare to the slightly less overstable flight of the Rivals compared to Champ TeeBs? Legend Rivals are now $40+ new, and I only have one. Really really love Jolly Launcher and this Champ T3 sounds like EXACTLY what I want. Anyone thrown both?

I only have a little experience with the Pinnacle Rival. I picked one up to see what the rage was about, when I was looking for cheaper TB replacments. It was an ok disc, and could likely replace a TB. If I had thrown the Rival 1st instead of a TB, I would prob still have it in my bag. That being said, I just gave up and stuck w TBs.

For me, the jury is still out on the T3...I have a GStar one in the bag now along w my other TBs to see if it gets any playing time. So far it has, but I'm still learning to trust it.

HERE IS WHAT I FIND RELEVANT TO YOU:

I percieve a different "hand feel" from the T3 compared to my normal TBs. I have attributed that to the fact it is supposed to be faster. I feel like the wing is a tad wider or something. Therefore it REALLY reminds me of the "hand feel" of the Rivals I've thrown. Based on Innova's description of the T3, I really feel like this disc is aimed at the Rival throwers. All the reviews of Rivals vs TBs I read, described the Rival as beig faster, with a touch less glide...Sound Familiar??

I think if you are enjoying the rivals, you will really like the T3. I get a very similar flight AND "hand feel" between the Rival and T3.

Hope that helps...Pick one up and work it into your field routine. Thats the only true way to tell if it will work for ya.

Cheers!

Picked up a G* Proto T3 today (166gm). Feels good in the hand. I'll compare it to the Rival and G* TeeBird I have in the bag next time I play.

It's pretty, I hope it flies as nice as it looks....

I percieve a different "hand feel" from the T3 compared to my normal TBs. I have attributed that to the fact it is supposed to be faster. I feel like the wing is a tad wider or something. Therefore it REALLY reminds me of the "hand feel" of the Rivals I've thrown. Based on Innova's description of the T3, I really feel like this disc is aimed at the Rival throwers. All the reviews of Rivals vs TBs I read, described the Rival as beig faster, with a touch less glide...Sound Familiar??

They do feel different in the hand from regular TBs, but I think that's just because the T3 has a lower shoulder. There's no other difference. Here are specs for the TB:

Detailed information
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,5 cm
Rim depth 1,1 cm
Inside rim diameter 17,8 cm
Rim thickness 1,7 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5,2 %
Rim configuration ratio 29,25
Flexibility rating 7,83

Here are the specs for the T3:

Detailed information
Diameter 21.2 cm
Maximum weight 176.0 gram
Height 1.5 cm
Rim depth 1.1 cm
Inside rim diameter 17.8 cm
Rim thickness 1.7 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5.2 %
Rim configuration ratio 29.25
Flexibility rating 7.83

(Source: T3 and Teebird)

They are the same, according to their technical specs. I actually think it's total bs that Innova is leaving behind the equation between rim width and disc speed in their flight numbers. Leave the speed 15 junk to Lat 64.

I still love the T3: it's a great Teebird.

I have experience in this.. It would be as simple as just making another mold (from the same 3D data) or "tool" for the discs to be made. They have likely done this at least a few times already. They would use the exact same data to do so and it would not be different from a previous tool/mold unless they wanted it to be.

Interesting, but is it possible that the "tool" they used to make the molds is also getting old and they don't have 3D data from back in the day when they originally created it? It still seems possible that they could have a slight problem and the "3" models could be a backup plan of sorts for future failure (along with being "something new" for the marketing folks to sell).

I mean, as Alcuin has pointed out, the T3 has the EXACT same specs as a TeeBird. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the reason Innova gives for not having to resubmit the "3" discs for PDGA certification is that the Roc3 is "just a Roc", etc. It still seems likely to me that these 3 molds are just the closest they could get to reproducing the older molds without complete 3D data which might not have been around when they originally produced them. I guess we'll never know for sure unless they do someday retire the older models. This can just be my own private conspiracy theory until then. :popcorn:

They do feel different in the hand from regular TBs, but I think that's just because the T3 has a lower shoulder. There's no other difference. Here are specs for the TB:

Detailed information
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,5 cm
Rim depth 1,1 cm
Inside rim diameter 17,8 cm
Rim thickness 1,7 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5,2 %
Rim configuration ratio 29,25
Flexibility rating 7,83

Here are the specs for the T3:

Detailed information
Diameter 21.2 cm
Maximum weight 176.0 gram
Height 1.5 cm
Rim depth 1.1 cm
Inside rim diameter 17.8 cm
Rim thickness 1.7 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5.2 %
Rim configuration ratio 29.25
Flexibility rating 7.83

(Source: T3 and Teebird)

They are the same, according to their technical specs. I actually think it's total bs that Innova is leaving behind the equation between rim width and disc speed in their flight numbers. Leave the speed 15 junk to Lat 64.

I still love the T3: it's a great Teebird.

It's def hard to argue with hard numbers like that. Thanks for sharing that, I'm bookmarking that site for future reference!

I'm not sure what to say, other than, I wonder how much manufacturing tolerances are allowed on those dimensions?

As a manufacturing engineer, I have seen some creative things happen with tolerenceing ;-)

As to the shoulder being lower causing the different feel... I predominantly throw 11x CAL Champ TBs which are known for being FAF. I compared the CAL mold in my bag to my T3 and I dont visually see a difference in the shoulder height.

This is somewhat difficult to describe, but the difference I feel in the hand, is between where the outer edge of the wing rests against my palm, and the tips of my fingers where they are curled against the inner rim (power grip).

I feel like I can close my eyes and be handed a TB and instantly recognize the mold from the grip. When I grip the T3, it just feels like there is more distance between my fingertips and palm. It also feels like the inner rim is actually deeper, which is counterintuitive considering its supposed to be flatter.

Its def strange, and I certianly can't quantify it, but its a recognizable difference to me. Almost as pronounced as a plus mold feel. Although, please make no mistake, I AM NOT equating the T3 to a plus mold. It assuredly is not that abomination.

I carry a GStar TB in my bag that is the same color as my GStar T3, and I never confuse them lol.

Totally agreed that it is still a nice disc and is deserving of the namesake it recieved. I just hope they continue to produce both molds. But, if not, I'm pretty confident that I have enough TB's stocked up to last 2 lifetimes bwahahaha.

Last edited:

Latest posts