• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird, thoughts on the plastics

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
I have recently rediscovered the Teebird. Because my shoulder is still on the mend, I've been easing off on my Nolan Ryan FH. :rolleyes: I've always been a legend in my own mind.

When I started I had a Champion Teebird and I liked it, but it was lost. No idea what weight it was. So I've been throwing my wife's 150 DX and I've been getting better BH distance than I did before the surgery. Throwing BH seems to hurt less. Now I'm going to get a few more.

Are there really any differences between plastics?

Generally, there are stability differences, yes. If you're looking for a premium plastic replacement, Star will be the closest to DX, but it will still take some work to get it there. Champ will have the most beef.

I recently picked up a new star teebird, mostly because I like the feel of the star plastic, but it will also break in a little faster than champ. I typically like my teebirds a little broken in, champ starts out too beefy and takes too long to break in to where I like it.

I've thrown 150 class champ teebirds and they are pretty sweet, haven't thrown a star that light though. I'll second the vote for star as a premium replacement, a lot of the recent star teebirds I've seen lately have been super domey though. Makes me cry a little on the inside.

I've thrown 150 class champ teebirds and they are pretty sweet, haven't thrown a star that light though. I'll second the vote for star as a premium replacement, a lot of the recent star teebirds I've seen lately have been super domey though. Makes me cry a little on the inside.

Icon Rivals ;)
Flat star teebs every time.

Generally, there are stability differences, yes. If you're looking for a premium plastic replacement, Star will be the closest to DX, but it will still take some work to get it there. Champ will have the most beef.

I'll mostly agree to this. I've never had a Star beat in to a turnover level that DX can, not to say it's impossible, but they beat into straight and stay there a while.
Champion definitely stay straight with fade for nearly forever. Just stay away from the domey low PLH ones. They tend to be flippy.
DX Teebirds are awesome. When fresh they're as OS as a premium plastic one, but once they beat in they start to develop some turn and gain more glide the more beat in they get. They crush!

^^ DX Bird FTW... my bag has couple DX, seasoned 11x, fresh kc pro, sometimes a star lol .. love me some teebirds :)

Yup, taco a DX and it'll be money(in my case atleast). I use champ in wind, star for sraight with fade and (beat)dx's for hyzerflips and turnovers.

When I started I had a Champion Teebird and I liked it, but it was lost. No idea what weight it was. So I've been throwing my wife's 150 DX and I've been getting better BH distance than I did before the surgery. Throwing BH seems to hurt less. Now I'm going to get a few more.

150g DX is really really understable. Yes, of course you need less power to get a good fligth out of understable discs. You need more control though.

And yes, the plastic and weigth makes a huge difference. If you buy a max weigth star teebird, it will be a totally overstable meathook for you till you beat it in ( which will probably take you years. ) A 150g dx will be beat in to understable after 2-3 tree hits.

edit : personally, i only use max weigth star teebirds, cause I want mine to be stable. My understable fairway driver is the leopard. Maybe give it a try, you dont need to beat it in as much as you need to beat in a teebird.
You can also just fill your bag with 4 teebirds in different weigths and plastics and you will have everything from understable to overstable covered just with teebirds.

I use champ in wind, star for sraight with fade and (beat)dx's for hyzerflips and turnovers.

This is exactly my setup for fairway drivers. The Teebird is one of those discs that's just good in all plastic. Durability = Champ>Star>DX

I love teebirds in all plastics. Stay away from the + mold. IMO, i don't think they fly the same. Hope that helps.

I believe unfortunately that the Champ Teebird that was lost was an 11x. I let my son visiting from NJ use it because it was his first time and it was so easy to throw and control. Somewhere along the round he left it somewhere. I didn't discover that till the next time I played and by then it was too late. :doh: And it was after it was already lost that I found out what it was worth. I tried a few Champ Teebirds after that but they just weren't the same.

I think I'm gonna go with a 160-165 Star. Hopefully I don't get a domey one.

Last edited:
150g DX is really really understable. Yes, of course you need less power to get a good fligth out of understable discs. You need more control though.

And yes, the plastic and weigth makes a huge difference. If you buy a max weigth star teebird, it will be a totally overstable meathook for you till you beat it in ( which will probably take you years. ) A 150g dx will be beat in to understable after 2-3 tree hits.

edit : personally, i only use max weigth star teebirds, cause I want mine to be stable. My understable fairway driver is the leopard. Maybe give it a try, you dont need to beat it in as much as you need to beat in a teebird.
You can also just fill your bag with 4 teebirds in different weigths and plastics and you will have everything from understable to overstable covered just with teebirds.

I discovered the wonders of a 150g Champ Leopard even before I got my hands on a Teebird. I keep at least 1 in my bag at all times.

I have max weight DX Tee Bird and LOVE it. It's by far and away my longest throwing disc and have an ace out of it. It turns over a lot now. I actually have to be careful with this disc. If I give it enough arm it will turn over and shoot 100 feet past the basket. Thinking it's time to get me a champ or star bird so I can actually keep the damn thing flying straight!

Thinking it's time to get me a champ or star bird so I can actually keep the damn thing flying straight!

The 175 Champ 'Bird I bought was way too overstable for me to throw well. Next I bought a 166 Star which was much more manageable and a 150 Star that is dead straight for me until the nice fade at the very end. I throw it about 300 to 320. HTH

Curtis

I carry a max weight Brinster Teebird, a max weight Glo Champion and a 167 11x Champion.

Brinster is definitely more overstable than the others, almost like a slower Destroyer. I would guess any of the Jolly Launcher Teebirds would be similar. I don't think they did anything different with the shape of the disc for that run.

Stay away from Champion. Very OS out of the box. Well compared to a normal Teebird. DX is where it's at. That's all I throw although I hear good things about Star. Kinda wanna try one out.

I carry a Totem for wind, an AJ for straight then fade, and a beat ass Star that just goes straight. I looooove TeeBirds too, but I saw a super sexy black pearly Rival that was FAF that I might have to go buy!

Latest posts