• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

MJ, can you tell me about your putting style and why do you putt with the Zone even though it's very overstable?

I like shallow rimmed putters too and I'm interested to try the Zone but I'm afraid that if it's too overstable..

woah, he switched from Ringers?

Saw those results and thought there had to be a clerical error or something. It would have been fun so see that performance. That course kicked my a$$ the one time I played it so I'm glad to see it get owned like that.

That's the problem with DG as a spectator sport -- as much fun as it would have been to see MJ tear it up, if the weather's that nice I'd rather be playing Bradford.

MJ, despite veering dangerously close to MVP fanboy status, this weekend I picked up a Z Buzzz and a Challenger, both of which are now happy in my bag. That Buzzz is money.

Hello from a Swedish fan!

I have finished reading the entire thread while awaiting the spring and more disc golf friendly weather. I have a few questions about your throwing motion and spin. Do you actively extend your wrist in the throw or do you just keep it loose and let it whip out on its own? Is it the same weather you are throwing comet, driver or the banger?
I'll be doing the spin-disc-at-ceiling exercise to see if that helps and to improve my spin and also putting distance.
i really try and keep my wrist loose and relaxed thru the majority of my throws to allow my arm whip to create the break. I keep it a little bit stiffer on shots i am trying to take spin off of

I would like to get some more distance on my shots. Mostly on my midrange and putter. I throw fairway drivers 300 feet max, midrange 260 and putters 230. I throw standstill but have been told I have good distance and snap for standstill. I practice the x step from time to time but so far I only see similar distance and worse accuracy. you dont have to do a full x step at all. I dont use a big one , just get my feet basically even with each other when i am doing a run up. Its best to learn a run up by slowly adding steps in i.e do one step throws ,then move up to a sirt two step and so on. Its all about keeping your feet underneqth you at all times to get good accuracy and distance

Oh, and the distances are golf distances on low and strait shots. I prefer throwing straight at the target. For some reason I always throw worse in field practice than on the course. I guess I get obsessed with distance without a basket to aim for :)

Finally just some comet love. I have mostly used it on a short but very downhill hole and it just flies so straight with a bit of flip when throwing really slow, smooth and downhill. Other discs, even putters, easily fall out long to the right if not thrown hard. The only other disc I have had success with on this hole is the rattler. I'm looking forward to a season with the comet at my short wooded home course!

By the way, how do you like the rattler? I'm amazed with how straight and nonflippy it is. But I guess if I could putt like you I wouldn't bother with it either :)
i have never used a rattler before

Have they given you any proto Big Z Comets or Zones to try out and if so what is the verdict?

Whats the bag looking like this season MJ? Pretty much the same as usual? Any new additions or old favorites that have been lost?

Whats the bag looking like this season MJ? Pretty much the same as usual? Any new additions or old favorites that have been lost?

I have some new additions for sure!!!! The Z and ESP Crank have moved in the bag and removed Surges out. I have also started using the Z Mantis, which will probably phase out my XLs eventually. And I have put a Big Z Buzz in to replace my regular Zs