• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I am not for sure. My local shop only had one tour series disc, and it was firmer than the others. Perhaps the tour series is a different run of plastic? It was not squishy like some of the others

I've got some new Z. Hard as ever. Throwing it side by side my Tour Series Buzzz's today, and the Tour Series is the gummier of the two. Still plenty firm, though.

You're not talking about Z Flx, are you?

I am not for sure. My local shop only had one tour series disc, and it was firmer than the others. Perhaps the tour series is a different run of plastic? It was not squishy like some of the others

Tour series is a different run. I've read it has a touch of Ti mixed in with the Z to make it just slightly gummy. That corresponds with what my Val Jenkins, Thrasher feels like.

They have released a ton of Z FLX discs recently, those are very gummy and flex a lot. I've got a couple I'm bagging, a Zone and now a Buzzz for shots that will hit and stick more than the harder plastics.

I just know that it's a blend of some plastics and has some sparkles thrown in them as well

Can you convince Discraft to make some DayGlo yellow ESP Comets? I've been on the hunt for one for a while now...

Edit: Even better would be more DayGlo yellow ESP all around...

So I started reading this thread a month ago. Read a little bit every time I was in the bathroom dropping a deuce (don't be offended...i read the bible cover to cover the same way). I was surprised when I got to the end and realized this thread was still active after almost 5 years!

I registered for DGCR after finishing reading just to say how much I appreciated MJ keeping up with this for so long and that I gleaned a lot of insight from his responses (as well as the responses from other members).

As for some comet love, I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with them. They are the most fun disc I've ever used on calm days. I feel very confident with them and it always puts a smile on my face to watch them slowly glide down the fairway. However, I live in Texas and calm days are a rare luxury. On normal (windy) days the comet becomes a crapshoot for me and the glide that made me smile now makes me scream profanity as the disc sails off to parts unknown.

So a MJ question, how do you handle windy days where throwing a slow glidey disc maybe isn't the most consistent option? I don't mean only a headwind as I have control trouble with the comet in almost every kind of wind.

As for some comet love, I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with them. They are the most fun disc I've ever used on calm days. I feel very confident with them and it always puts a smile on my face to watch them slowly glide down the fairway. However, I live in Texas and calm days are a rare luxury. On normal (windy) days the comet becomes a crapshoot for me and the glide that made me smile now makes me scream profanity as the disc sails off to parts unknown.

So a MJ question, how do you handle windy days where throwing a slow glidey disc maybe isn't the most consistent option? I don't mean only a headwind as I have control trouble with the comet in almost every kind of wind.

In what plastic is/are your Comet(s)?

I throw 2 X's (1 newish and 1 beat) and 2 Z's. One of the Z's is a new MJ tour series and the other I've had for 3 years or so. All max weight. I can get them all out to about 320ft with good control on calm days.

When it's windy I throw drones. I'm one of those weird guys that cycles pro-d drones (i carry 4) but they're oop so I gotta figure something out for that slot now. They never beat in to where they do comet things so I desperately miss those comet lines when it's windy.

I throw 2 X's (1 newish and 1 beat) and 2 Z's. One of the Z's is a new MJ tour series and the other I've had for 3 years or so. All max weight. I can get them all out to about 320ft with good control on calm days.

When it's windy I throw drones. I'm one of those weird guys that cycles pro-d drones (i carry 4) but they're oop so I gotta figure something out for that slot now. They never beat in to where they do comet things so I desperately miss those comet lines when it's windy.

Thats old school. I remember gators and drones were some of the last discs to come in premium plastic for regular runs. (drone even later than the gator, even then it was just flx...)

I have gone back and forth on what mids to carry with my comets for years. I am back to the Buzzz because its a disc I have always been able to throw well. Goodbye a couple comets and all my fairways...
The buzzz into the wind flys similar to a comet. The extra speed and only touch more stability goes a long ways. I am sure you have a drone for all those situations as well. I tend to be throwing a flippier disc into winds and working the discs more than most the guys I play with, its a good perk to being smooth.

The buzzz into the wind flys similar to a comet. The extra speed and only touch more stability goes a long ways. I am sure you have a drone for all those situations as well. I tend to be throwing a flippier disc into winds and working the discs more than most the guys I play with, its a good perk to being smooth.

I've tried working a 175g ESP Buzzz. Maybe I'll look into the Buzzz OS as well to fill in for my pro-d drones. I did like the Buzzz but I was never able to forehand it well (almost a deal breaker by itself) and for my style it just couldn't compete with my beat in Drones or my Z Comet. It is great in the wind, though, for the same reasons you mentioned. I'll work on smoothness as well...maybe I can get the perk you're enjoying and worry less about disc selection.

Pretty sure the Drone went OOP in every plastic BUT Pro-D. You can still cycle.

Sadly no. I've been building a stockpile though whenever I find them in Pro-D. They stopped using Pro-D on a lot of discs and don't even make many of their new discs in it at all. Wish discraft had a KC Pro equivalent...KC Pro Drones and Comets would make me so happy.

MJ - Congrats on your win in Zebulon last weekend! :clap:

Curious of your thoughts on Zebby,
favorite hole,
least favorite hole?

sadly, I have lost my TP Comet (circa '97), and have little faith it will be returned. it's possible, but I just have that feeling...

That sucks. I imagine you are very skilled with it if you had it for 20 years. When I started using them I seemed to lose one once a month (noob+comet+wind=disaster). All had my name/number on them but never had one returned (or really any disc). I've contacted the owner of every marked disc I've ever found. Maybe you will get my built up disc return karma...I know there must be a lot of it somewhere just building up like a trust fund.

sadly, I have lost my TP Comet (circa '97), and have little faith it will be returned. it's possible, but I just have that feeling...

That is sad. My very first disc was a TP Comet, and I bagged it for 12 or 13 years. I even used to putt with it (yeah, I know), until I wised up. When I finally reached the point that I feared losing or cracking it, I hung it on my wall, and it's pretty cool to still have the very first disc I ever bought, 21 years later. I can relate to your pain, I hope you get it back.

What's the most difficult type of wooded course hole for you, or just an example of an actual hole that gives you more trouble than others.