• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

The complainers are the same people who cant throw any beat dx discs.

Beat discs don't like even slight oats.

A good way to test for slight oats is to throw a ultimate disc. They are not forgiving at all.

lol
because I don't want my disc to be warped and fly considerably different after a couple weeks makes me a complainer AND means that I can't throw flippy discs? I bag a beat dx teebird and used to bag a beat kc roc until I lost it. I am fine with flippy base plastic discs. I like how a new colt flies, so I think a champ one would fly like new for longer.

The complainers are the same people who cant throw any beat dx discs.

Beat discs don't like even slight oats.

A good way to test for slight oats is to throw a ultimate disc. They are not forgiving at all.

Yeah you're right. I throw every throw as hard as I can. I expect to hit trees and have there be a surface scratch only. I'm just trying to get under par at singles league!

The dx plastic that the proto colts are made with is total garbage. If Innova had quality baseline plastic like my hard sinus, or classic judges, they'd be good for a multiple impacts.

I would definitely buy a champ colt. The xt flew great, but after bagging it for 2 or 3 weeks it became extremely warped and way too flippy.

I'd prefer a firm Star Colt, but a Champ Colt would be good, too. My DX Colts are doing fine, and I'm rotating them, but they do get really scuffed up. A long lasting Star or Champ Colt would be awesome!

Yeah you're right. I throw every throw as hard as I can. I expect to hit trees and have there be a surface scratch only. I'm just trying to get under par at singles league!

The dx plastic that the proto colts are made with is total garbage. If Innova had quality baseline plastic like my hard sinus, or classic judges, they'd be good for a multiple impacts.

When I tried Classic Judges they were gouged like crazy after a 30 min putting session.

The XT plastic gets marked up real easy. That has nothing to do with the flight. My XT Colt is a bit warped even and still flies straight with fade.
I see how most younger players throw, everything is full power. They think all they have to do is disc down and throw those discs just as hard as their drivers.
Learn to throw at 10%, 20%, 50%, 70% power, these discs are not meant to be thrown like drivers.

Also, they will last longer for you. :thmbup:

When I tried Classic Judges they were gouged like crazy after a 30 min putting session.

I have four Classic Blend Judges and a Classic Blend Warden. They do get scuffed up by the chains and rough ground, but for me it hasn't been so bad that it affects their flights. DX and Pro-D get beat up much much worse with the same or less use, IMHO.

Classic blend is my favorite plastic. Someday going to pick up a stack of putters, prolly judges to try.

Classic blend is my favorite plastic. Someday going to pick up a stack of putters, prolly judges to try.

I suspect you'll like 'em a lot. For those who don't know, the Warden is essentially a Judge without a bead. Both are great putters, especially in Classic Blend.

I suspect you'll like 'em a lot. For those who don't know, the Warden is essentially a Judge without a bead. Both are great putters, especially in Classic Blend.

Ya thats what made me love the plastic. Good mold and the plastic is just sweet. Threw it like 6 months in and lost it. And somebody returned it to me not that long ago. And i was like oh yea i used to like that. Im going to break that thing out lol haven't even thrown it and apparently no one else really had either. Even though i let it lay and somebody found it in the pond :)

Oh and thought you said try the Suspect

Last edited:
The XT plastic gets marked up real easy. That has nothing to do with the flight. My XT Colt is a bit warped even and still flies straight with fade.
I see how most younger players throw, everything is full power. They think all they have to do is disc down and throw those discs just as hard as their drivers.
Learn to throw at 10%, 20%, 50%, 70% power, these discs are not meant to be thrown like drivers.

Also, they will last longer for you. :thmbup:

I totally agree with the power thing, but the colt is just begging to be driven with. Its just so fast for a putter. And if you combine its speed with its stability (when new), it can easily overlap on shorter midrange shots. It makes me wanna crank it out there. But since my dreams of a champ colt haven't come true yet, I am bagging an opto pure and it covers a similar shot.

This could be, and SHOULD be, the Innova Envy. That's a massively popular mold, even with folks outside of camp gyro. Innova would be wise to offer a direct competitor.

It needs to be offered in premium plastic w more stability though.

This could be, and SHOULD be, the Innova Envy. That's a massively popular mold, even with folks outside of camp gyro. Innova would be wise to offer a direct competitor.

It needs to be offered in premium plastic w more stability though.

Interesting thought. The Nova is Innova's overmold putter. I guess they could do the overmold for the Colt, but my question is: do they really need to? The VTech technology (convex rim) has the Colt being pretty stable, straight and accurate as things are. And all discs fly via "gyro" whether they have rubber (or black plastic) on the rims or not.

Seeing that the Wombat, Whale, and VRoc have come out in Champion plastic, I'd expect to see the Colt follow suit in the next few months. I'm certainly hoping so.

GStar Colts are no longer available on the Innova Factory Store website. I'm hopeful the next run will be in Champion plastic! :thmbup:

GStar Colts are no longer available on the Innova Factory Store website. I'm hopeful the next run will be in Champion plastic! :thmbup:

I won't buy a GStar Colt under any circumstances. It has to be firm Star or Champion plastic to get my disc-buying dollars.

Given how nice the Colt is off the tee, I'd also be interested in a Champion version.

He's not saying it needs to be an overmold. He's just saying for it to compete it needs to be offered in premium plastic.

^Correct!

I could give two flying ****s about overmold. I don't bag one at all.

Strictly comparing the flight and slot the two discs fill. The Envy is a bit faster and longer IMO than the Colt. I prefer the Colt b/c it is easier to range for me, and more useful. I can use it for upshots and drives, where the Envy is more of a small diameter mid. Currently I'm using an Opto Pure along with the XT Colt. I could see a Champ Colt booting the Pure.

Yeah the colt and pure should be similar in feel.

Colt Dimensions:
•Diameter: 21.2 cm
•Height: 1.9 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.1 cm
•Rim Width: 0.9 cm

Pure Dimensions:
•Diameter: 21.2 cm
•Height: 1.8 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.4 cm
•Rim Width: 1.0 cm

Envy Dimensions:
•Diameter: 21.1 cm
•Height: 2.0 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.4 cm
•Rim Width: 1.0 cm

On paper I'd agree, but actual hand feel...totally different.

Colt feels much shallower.

That being said, I just picked up a production run DX Colt at the shop, an it's a totally different mold than the XT Proto.

Much deeper, higher shoulder, totally domey, lower PLH, and the convex wing is more convex (basically 1/4 round). The production seemed like a slightly shallower whale or beaded magic.

Therefore the Colt is now dead to me.
I will inspect a Champ version should they decide to make it, but I don't need it that bad. I'm comfortable with the Pure, have CCRs in storage, and am not above bagging the Envy should I decide I really need that slot.

Oh well it was a fun disc to throw, but I don't need another OOP mold to chase.
Look for my other XT Protos to hit the marketplace or FB.

Farewell Colt

Latest posts