• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Oh.n I still love me some pds. My seasoned one that ive had in the bag since dec 09 is still my go to pd. Seasoned $$ stage awesomeness. It still has a healthy dome and flys amazing. Such a great disc. Between the pd and td,those 2 discs are my most thrown in my bag

Booter said:
Ofcourse. And the quote of it havn sunshine comin out of its butt is too.

Btw.since discmania be lookin at the forum. How bout that fairway driver :)
I'm quite fond of that quote too. =)

Hopefully they'll come out with the FD at some point, I know they've been looking at the forums for quite some time now so they're bound to know they'd be appreciated.

Booter said:
Ofcourse. And the quote of it havn sunshine comin out of its butt is too.

Btw.since discmania be lookin at the forum. How bout that fairway driver :)

Yeah for reals, I posted something on their site awhile back and got a few comments. What is your time frame on this disc Discmania?

My beat red champystar PD is now the best turnover/anhyzer driver I've ever owned. It's got more LSS still than a PPD, so it can get into a deeper turn and still recover. It helped me win a playoff for the doubles win last night as I almost aced a 390' hole with a huge anhyzer that flattened right at the basket and settled 20' past.

I went out yesterday and threw my PDs (P and S) against a new DX T-bird. I was surprised with my results. I was getting about the same average distance (360- 380) with the T-bird as I was getting with the PD. The longest throws that I had were around 400 ft with both (measured with G. Earth) with the T-bird beating the PD by a few inches. It didn't seem that the T-bird required that much more height to go that far.

There was something interesting I notice with the T-bird that was harder to notice with the PD: It easier to feel the weight of the disc rotate. I'm sure this has to do with the T-bird being a smaller rim disc than the PD. Overall, I'm glad I revisited the T-bird. It has a good chance of kicking the PDs out of the bag.

sunspot said:
I went out yesterday and threw my PDs (P and S) against a new DX T-bird. I was surprised with my results. I was getting about the same average distance (360- 380) with the T-bird as I was getting with the PD. The longest throws that I had were around 400 ft with both (measured with G. Earth) with the T-bird beating the PD by a few inches. It didn't seem that the T-bird required that much more height to go that far.

There was something interesting I notice with the T-bird that was harder to notice with the PD: It easier to feel the weight of the disc rotate. I'm sure this has to do with the T-bird being a smaller rim disc than the PD. Overall, I'm glad I revisited the T-bird. It has a good chance of kicking the PDs out of the bag.

That's good an all about the Teebirds, I think you'll eventually find out that while the DX TB's maybe easier to throw longer, the PD's are better are shaping various lines. At least IMO.That last part confuses me though. Maybe I'm just bad(Could very well be the case) but I find it easier to "feel the weight" with discs that have wider rims i.e. more weight on the rim than smaller ones. How is it that it's easier to feel the weight on a smaller rim?

himynameismatt said:
That's good an all about the Teebirds, I think you'll eventually find out that while the DX TB's maybe easier to throw longer, the PD's are better are shaping various lines. At least IMO.

The PD is more versatile than the T-bird. I do think, however, that the T-bird can pull off similar lines in different plastic. That and I already had a compliment to the PD with a Cyclone which will naturally fit with the T-bird. In my experience, the PD in pro plastic is similar to the T-bird in dx plastic. That is, they will not come out of turn when beat in a little. I'm sure there are some similarities in their flights as the the plastic progresses from low to higher grade.

That last part confuses me though. Maybe I'm just bad(Could very well be the case) but I find it easier to "feel the weight" with discs that have wider rims i.e. more weight on the rim than smaller ones. How is it that it's easier to feel the weight on a smaller rim?

Doing the hammer drill with a wider rim helps feel the weight and conceptually understand the process while it's happening. With a smaller rim it's easier to put it into practice because there is less of a tendency for the disc to slip.

I agree with you on feeling the weight with wider rims. For example, I started doing the hammer drill with a Katana. This got me to see and conceptually understand what was suppose to happen as the disc goes from a linear to a rotational movement, which helped me see the weight "pivot." Throwing the T-bizzle yesterday made me see the hammer drill as it applies to smaller rims. I could fit the "pivot" better. I'm not saying I'm Beato as distance throwing, but I can see the importance of the hammer drill as it applies to smaller rim discs.

Dx Teebirds are nice, but may as well be a different mold compared to the premium ones. A month or so ago I took out one of my old TBs to give a couple of throws for shits and giggles. It felt to me like I was throwing a 200g+ PD...It would do some of the same things, but I had to throw it a good deal harder.

himynameismatt said:
Maybe I'm just bad(Could very well be the case) but I find it easier to "feel the weight" with discs that have wider rims i.e. more weight on the rim than smaller ones. How is it that it's easier to feel the weight on a smaller rim?
I'm with sunspot on this one, it's damned difficult to feel the weight of the disc when swinging it around if you're using a very wide-rimmed disc. The Ultra-Star is probably the weightiest feeling disc I've thrown.

I believe it's mostly due to the fact that while the weight is more focused on the rim in wide-rimmed drivers, the portion of the disc you have in your hand is also heavier. Since the disc still weighs the same and is the same size otherwise, there's less weight at the "hammer end" of the disc.

I'm pretty much convinced that if you feel the hit better with wide rimmed drivers this must be in spite of, not because, the wide rim. In addition to jub's point, the larger diameter of a putter or mid makes for a much longer lever and the thin rim means you grip further towards the rim so the difference is even greater.
Driver = throwing a short hammer with a heavy handle, putter = throwing a long hammer with a slender handle. You'll be able to get more speed on the head of the hammer in the latter case (aka get more acceleration on the disc in the pivot).
Speed measurements show consistently higher launch speed for putters compared to drivers (but obviously they decelerate much faster as well, due to more drag).

Thanks for taking the time to explain that gents. ^ That explanation about the putters made it click for me. Def easiest to "Feel the weight" on something like a Wizard, I'm sure the gyroscopic molding helps that. But back to the PD!

discspeed said:
Dx Teebirds are nice, but may as well be a different mold compared to the premium ones. A month or so ago I took out one of my old TBs to give a couple of throws for shits and giggles. It felt to me like I was throwing a 200g+ PD...It would do some of the same things, but I had to throw it a good deal harder.

Said exactly what I was thinking there. If I only threw on TB though would probably be the DX. Premium plastic TB's are nice but it can be hard to find the money ones, and if/when you do you can expect to pay a premium price for it.

Speaking of baseline plastic, a D-PD would be pure tits.

Before Discmania was starting to lose faith in the Innova brand. Only releasing high-speed drivers, Mold inconsistency, etc. All arguments better saved for another thread. However the PD is probably the most consistent disc I've thrown from them. I own 8, 3 P-Line, 4 S-line, 1 C-line. Bought mostly across the net and a couple locally, They have all been the same, well at least on a plastic to plastic basis i.e. comparing the P's to P's. Very impressed by this, I don't know if it can be attributed to the molds themselves, or the plastic? I find out both the S-Line and P-Line start out much stiffer than most Star and Pro discs.

You've been lucky then, PDs are not anymore consistent than any other mold (I don't really want to even mention them accidentally running the production C-PDs and C-TDs with a +mold core). And for that matter, only MVP (and perhaps Vibram) can claim any sort of consistency. Gateway, Discraft and Latitude are just as bad as Innova.

I know its probably here some place, but I have read many pages of this thread and not seen it.

I was wondering if someone could give me a good description of the flight of the PD in the different plastics.
Thanks and sorry if I just missed it here some place.

Rogue9 said:
I know its probably here some place, but I have read many pages of this thread and not seen it.

I was wondering if someone could give me a good description of the flight of the PD in the different plastics.
Thanks and sorry if I just missed it here some place.

I throw PD's from about 340'-375'. Don't have a lot of exp throwing the C-Line yet so I'll just go over the P and S-Lines.

Both P and S can start out a little beefy when brand new but pretty soon the P flew for me more like a faster DX TB, touch of turn before locking onto a straight line, a good forward penetrating fade. Predictable skip. The P's make a great Hyzer-Flip driver once broken in. And once beat are great rollers and turnover drivers.

Brand new an S-Line will probably be a little too stable a disc for anyone not throwing in the 350' range, they don't power down as well as my P's either. They kind of fly in a "J" that gets straighter and straighter as they beat. Working in an S-Line to that perfect stage is a great feeling because they def take awhile to get there and once they do they hold it for awhile longer than the P.

I hear the C-Line is very Pred like. I've yet to throw mine it looks way to pretty.

Latest posts