• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Thanks but which ones are the overstable ones or how can you tell by looking at them?

I'd probably stay in the 165-9 range, it's where all my other discs fall, but out of curiosity anything you could tell me about the 150 class ones?

mshelton said:
Thanks but which ones are the overstable ones or how can you tell by looking at them?

Check the PLH (parting line height). If you are not sure what that is, set the discs on a flat table and compare where the parting lines meet (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15165). For PD's, its pretty much where the leading edges meet. If the PLH is lower on one disc, it is relatively going to be less stable, because there is probably more dome. Less dome = higher PLH = more stable (but probably not much, especially when comparing the same plastic type).

Also, gummier ones are usually less stable, but not by much.

I highly recommend starting with a lighter P-line. If you have time to break it in, get a flat, stiff one. It will work in to be a really great turning disc that powers down well too. Once it gets beat in, pick up an S-line. IMO, weight (in the 165-175 range) is not as important as PLH and stiffness.

PDs rock, just get one and you'll be happy; get a light P-PD if you're worried about it. It is great for flicking too.

mshelton said:

I'd probably stay in the 165-9 range, it's where all my other discs fall, but out of curiosity anything you could tell me about the 150 class ones?

150s vary like the heavier ones. First run s is beefy until winds overpower it meaning a fair bit of headwind. I've heard that later ones aren't as overstable in calm conditions but i don't have later ones.

JR said:
mshelton said:

150s vary like the heavier ones. First run s is beefy until winds overpower it meaning a fair bit of headwind. I've heard that later ones aren't as overstable in calm conditions but i don't have later ones.
They have also said that the latest run came out very close to the first run.

I just lost my 166g DGR stiff P-PD at Cliff Stevens. Can I expect a similar weight stiff production P-PD to fly the same as that stiff P-PD DGR run? Of based on differences, should I bump up or down in weight to get the same flight?

ForeverBlue232 said:
I just lost my 166g DGR stiff P-PD at Cliff Stevens. Can I expect a similar weight stiff production P-PD to fly the same as that stiff P-PD DGR run? Of based on differences, should I bump up or down in weight to get the same flight?
Did you ever compare the PLH to your other PDs? If you have, you could take one with you and try to find a similar one at the store.

In other words, PLH has been known to vary even between discs that weigh and feel the same.

ForeverBlue232 said:

You should have let me know you were in town. I'll be playing doubles at Cliff tonight. Anyway, about your PD...You just need to find another stiff one around the same weight. We should have some at the store.

Think I've discovered what you guys mean by champystar. Bought two new PDs that are completely opaque no light gets through. On the otherhand my more seasoned orange and newish white that I already had let a lot of light through. And I can very visibly see the outline of my fingers and hand. Neat stuff.

There are two runs of PDs I refer to as "champystar". One is red...The heavier ones in this run are just barely transparent, but I have 170-173s that you can hold up to a book and read through. These probably have more glide than any other SPDs and most start with a touch of high speed turn out of the box(especially the heavier ones). The other run I call champystar is yellow. These ones are opaque and feel like the opaque champ Teebirds/etc...Much stiffer with sharper edges than other star plastic. These do not glide as well as the reds, but I like them because they resist turning over yet don't fade as hard as most other SPDs. They also break in VERY slowly compared to the other SPDs.

Mine is reddish-orangush. Had a rosey foil stamp before I wiped it. What also has my hopes up thats it is champystar is that came from your store my gf ordered me a buncha discs from there for my birthday in january.

himynameismatt said:
Mine is reddish-orangush. Had a rosey foil stamp before I wiped it. What also has my hopes up thats it is champystar is that came from your store my gf ordered me a buncha discs from there for my birthday in january.

Ah yes...I currently have one of those in my bag. I wouldn't call that champystar, but that is a very interesting run nonetheless. I'm using that one to replace my beat champystar because it flies less stable out of the box than most SPDs, especially in terms of HSS. Those ones are super grippy as well. I feel confident it's going to break into a great straight/turnover SPD because it's halfway there out of the box.

BTW...We do have a yellow champystar or two left if you want one.

discspeed said:
himynameismatt said:

Ah yes...I currently have one of those in my bag. I wouldn't call that champystar, but that is a very interesting run nonetheless. I'm using that one to replace my beat champystar because it flies less stable out of the box than most SPDs, especially in terms of HSS. Those ones are super grippy as well. I feel confident it's going to break into a great straight/turnover SPD because it's halfway there out of the box.

BTW...We do have a yellow champystar or two left if you want one.
Lol I swear when you described that disc you were reading my mind. It does fly tad less stable out of the box. And since I've dropped P-PD's I'm trying to beat it into understable duties. Plastic is crazy grippy. One of my favorite discs for sure. And thanks for the offer but I just spent my next 3mo discgolf allowance on a Carolina :)

Discspeed sent me one of the Yellows, which will be going in my bag when I get my bigger Grip Bag. Right now I've got a red in there, and it's crushing so far it's supid.

Timko said:
Discspeed sent me one of the Yellows, which will be going in my bag when I get my bigger Grip Bag. Right now I've got a red in there, and it's crushing so far it's supid.

My red champystar is beat to a point that I hope it stays in for looooooong time because it's so god damn sweet right now. I've got 2 backups in the same run and I just can't justify grabbing a yellow one to play with since I've got so many other PD's already. So tempting to check out though.

I'm amazed at how far I can get the champystar pd out though. The thing can bomb! On a good hit my flows can get out another 20-30' but when accurate distance is needed.... the PD gets the nod for sure.

The thing is my Red PD is getting so sneaky long; All of a sudden it's going 30'-50' farther on slight hyzer lines. I haven't been throwing a lot of flex shots or anhyzers for distance (most of the courses in KC are set up short), but I imagine it's going to absolutely bomb on long lines. However, I don't know if I'd trust it for the tight flex shot, which is what I want the yellow one in my bag.

I've got an Orange S one in my bag that has more HSS that I can rely on for those shots. I threw my favorite Pink PPD back in the other day as well, but I never reach for it since I just can't trust it to come back again and I've been using the TD's for that kind of stuff now. It makes me happy just having it in there though.