• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

JimW said:
discspeed said:
Paragraphs of PD orgasming

How do the red ones fly compared to a new P PD? I looked over the whole stack a week ago but didn't buy any since they all seemed to be fairly domey and I was hoping to buy one like that blue S PD I had which molded up exactly like a P PD.

They are like a new P-PD with a little earlier fade. They do not have the HSS of the orange FRs. I think that you would like them.

I've also fallen in complete love with my Champ PD. It is easily twice as good as my S-PDs in the wind...I played in wind last week that completely turned over a new S-PD and took it to the ground. My Champ PD thrown the same way didn't turnover and hyzered right under the pin. In normal conditions the Champ wouldn't seem that much more stable, but in that headwind the difference was clear. It compares very much to my 11x Champ EX, only faster and easy to throw farther.

JimW said:
Excellent. I'll have to pick one up before Ocala.

I actually grabbed one of the red 172s today and it flies awesome. It is like my 175s, but with a later and less pronounced fade. I threw it on 17 at Cliff today on a slight forced anny and it straightened out slowly the whole flight and pretty much faded forward.

discspeed said:
I've also fallen in complete love with my Champ PD. It is easily twice as good as my S-PDs in the wind...I played in wind last week that completely turned over a new S-PD and took it to the ground. My Champ PD thrown the same way didn't turnover and hyzered right under the pin. In normal conditions the Champ wouldn't seem that much more stable, but in that headwind the difference was clear. It compares very much to my 11x Champ EX, only faster and easy to throw farther.

Then come to handicap this Sunday so you can give me money for my last two :lol: I forgot, you were in the Everglades last weekend weren't you? Anyway, you buying those two would be great so it can fund my purchase of a couple of those red S-PDs.

JimW said:
discspeed said:

Then come to handicap this Sunday so you can give me money for my last two :lol: I forgot, you were in the Everglades last weekend weren't you? Anyway, you buying those two would be great so it can fund my purchase of a couple of those red S-PDs.

I've got some baby classes this weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll be at the handicap or not. I will however be out at Cliff on Friday evening and I can hit you up then. It will be nice to be sitting on a comfortable stash of champ PDs because I love them and they will be gone soon. 6 ought to last me until they run them again. :)

I threw my Champ PD quite a bit during the WyCo tournament last weekend in KC. Not so much for distance (inside of 320' for the most part), but I was able to control it in headwinds, and in crosswinds.

Hole #6 is a short 320' downhill hole with nothing around you. It's blind, with road on the right and behind the pin. To make matters more difficult, there's a strong L/R crosswind. On a calm day, I can throw a Roc there easily. Perhaps when I'm in midseason form, I would work a Roc from L/R, swinging it way out, and letting the wind push it. After trying to throw a hyzer with a Roc the 1st round (didn't work out), I used the Champ PD, thrown low and straight to the right of the pin, having it hyzer and skip a little to within 15'.

#5 is a 250' uphill hole where the basket it on a little knoll. Wind is heady coming from the right. I turned over my PD and threw it a little nose up to the right of the hole, having the wind lift it up the hill. When the HSS kicked in, it faded and skipped nicely, giving myself a 2 on it both rounds.

Actually, I realize I should have used this disc more to play some of the tweener holes; and left myself longer 2nd shots instead of booming my Nuke in the wrong direction.

I need to get some production PDs, because the 1st runs I have are too stable for lower wind situations, and I like my Champ in the wind now.

Sounds good Jim.

Back on topic...Has anyone else seen the new runs of S-PDs? What are the other colors that come in heavy weights? Any others champy-star? As I stated a few posts back, we got in red and blue heavies, and orange/yellows in the 160s.

I havnt seen any other colors besides red,light blue,dayglow, and orange. The reds a buddy of mine has,arent champy star really. The orange and dayglows I have (non freak) are 175 ish . I havnt seen any light weight newer runs either.

Since they ran the champ plastic for the CFR PD's, you know there have to be transitional S/C discs. My red PDs aren't the clearest champ/star I've seen, but they definitely are a blend and not like regular star plastic.

After a brief stint with the PD, Im back to the OrionLF. I dont have anything bad to say about the PD, the Orion just feels better in the hand and is a little more versatile. The C / S PD is just not any better than a 1.2 S / Q Orion LF...both discs are rock solid in the wind and refuse to flip when flattened from a hyzer...very teebirdy. The P PD and 1.2 MOLF are also very similar, but the MOLF was a littler longer (very slightly) if a little less stable in the wind.

These discs create almost total overlap and I would recommend anyone just choose which one feels best. Both are excellent discs. I just prefer the flatter feel and smaller rim of the OLF. Has anyone else thrown both?

Aaron_D said:
After a brief stint with the PD, Im back to the OrionLF. I dont have anything bad to say about the PD, the Orion just feels better in the hand and is a little more versatile. The C / S PD is just not any better than a 1.2 S / Q Orion LF...both discs are rock solid in the wind and refuse to flip when flattened from a hyzer...very teebirdy. The P PD and 1.2 MOLF are also very similar, but the MOLF was a littler longer (very slightly) if a little less stable in the wind.

These discs create almost total overlap and I would recommend anyone just choose which one feels best. Both are excellent discs. I just prefer the flatter feel and smaller rim of the OLF. Has anyone else thrown both?

I've thrown both and I agree with you. I prefer the meatier grip of the PD and I did not like the flat feel of the OLFs. They are both EXCELLENT discs.

Aaron_D said:

My sentiments exactly.

For the player that throws 360+ and likes to throw flat, I would recommend the PD, and for people who prefer to hyzerflip or people who throw less than 350 I would give the OLF. But the differences are small between the two. Only the 1.1 molf is noticably more understable.

JimW said:
According to you guys I should be throwing OLFs then :lol:

That's the thing though...PDs break in so you can throw them if you are a hyzer thrower or a flat thrower. C and to a lesser degree S PDs are to be thrown flat. A better way to put it is PDs cover a greater range of possible stabilities, expecially in pro and star plastic.

Aaron_D said:

agreed sir! I did the exact same thing but instead of MOLFs I use my 1.1 SOLS to compliment my OLFs

Latest posts