• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The hardest part of getting 1st ace.

I don't understand how the exact same thing can be one thing at one time then 2 seconds later be something else.
Do you understand the concept of hunting in the wilderness where there's a good likelihood of not coming home with something, versus canned hunting where things are arranged to assure that you do? Do you perhaps feel there's a bit more sense of accomplishment when someone succeeds at the former?

A black ace is kissing your sister.
No a black ace is like going to a strip club and finding out unexpectedly that your sister is working there, and she's not a waitress or a bartender.

Do you understand the concept of hunting in the wilderness where there's a good likelihood of not coming home with something, versus canned hunting where things are arranged to assure that you do? Do you perhaps feel there's a bit more sense of accomplishment when someone succeeds at the former?

Yes, and I still hang that deer head, even if it took me 2 shots. Some weekend warriors I know still hang them after 2 clips.

An ace is never assured. And you need to work on your analogies. The two things are supposed to be similar in some way.

No a black ace is like going to a strip club and finding out unexpectedly that your sister is working there, and she's not a waitress or a bartender.

:popcorn::clap: rofl. You guys crack me up. I have a hole that almost always gets three tee shots. If I hit it on #2or#3 I aint expecting that disc to get signed. I have not even been playing 2 years and I know better than that.

Yes, and I still hang that deer head, even if it took me 2 shots. Some weekend warriors I know still hang them after 2 clips.
Again, was it a wild hunt or a canned hunt? What do real hunters think of canned hunts?

An ace is never assured. And you need to work on your analogies.

The two things are supposed to be similar in some way.
My analogy was fine as it compared two things that were worthy of accomplishment with something in those respective activities that was lame and artificially procured for the player (or hunter) to produce a desired result. You're simply not getting that through your skull.

I'm sorry, but there's a hell of lot more likelihood of a shot going in if you stand on the tee pad of a course's baby hole and throw 18 discs at it, letting your arm get dialed in more and more as you go, versus playing the entire course and getting only one crack at each hole.

Again, was it a wild hunt or a canned hunt? What do real hunters think of canned hunts?

My analogy was fine as it compared two things that were worthy of accomplishment with something in those respective activities that was lame and artificially procured for the player (or hunter) to produce a desired result. You're simply not getting that through your skull.

I'm sorry, but there's a hell of lot more likelihood of a shot going in if you stand on the tee pad of a course's baby hole and throw 18 discs at it, letting your arm get dialed in more and more as you go, versus playing the entire course and getting only one crack at each hole.

Not the analogy I was talking about.

I actually thought you meant "shopping" by "canned hunts". ... The pin stays in the same spot for everybody ... so isn't every ace a "canned ace"? It doesn't get any easier. I throw plenty of ace runs on the first shot that don't get in. I throw plenty of ace runs on subsequent shots; they've never gone in. I've never hit an ace outside of tournament play. I signed my buddy's ace when we were warming up on a course and threw several at it. Because it was an amazing shot. One that neither of us will forget, because he made it from the tee! There's no way to improve on that shot. That's what makes it impressive. Not being cold, or it being a 1 on the scorecard. It was a perfect shot. That's the impressive part.

Canned hunts ... I think it's probably expensive.

There are so many things that go into a trophy being impressive ... I don't even know. I'd be impressed by the people that cultivated the land that allowed the trophy to thrive. I wouldn't be impressed by the process, but I'm routinely not impressed by the process of road hunting. Some people are. I think it's impressive that a guy found a 32 point atypical in St. Louis county (lying dead from old age in a fence row). That's the most impressive part of hunting, I think; having the environment where trophies are prevalent. So that's probably not a good analogy either.

I'll tell you one thing: it's no less impressive to bag a trophy on the second weekend than opening morning.

fwiw, i'm with Dan. making it into the basket from the teepad is sweet, and should be given the respect it deserves. if it took one million throws, doesn't it just make the ace that much more impressive?

The hardest part of getting first ACE?????

I dont know..... My current ACE count: 0

Sometimes I will take multiple tee shots (2 maybe 3) when I'm playing a casual round, If I put one in the basket on my second throw, and this is the first time I've done so from a tee pad.. I dont care what anyone else calls it.. my world my rules, I call it what I want.

1. It took 1 throw to hole out from the tee. Which doesn't change no matter how many times I throw.

Do you only get to sign an ace if you're scoring the round?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. It's not impressive to hit an ace if it wasn't the first throw? If it's a 600' hole, it's not impressive to nail it from the pad if it's not the very first time you threw that hole?

Yes its impressive. Its just not an ace. :wall:

fwiw, i'm with Dan. making it into the basket from the teepad is sweet, and should be given the respect it deserves. if it took one million throws, doesn't it just make the ace that much more impressive?

it is sweet, and deserves a 'cool shot bro'. nothing else. IT IS A CUBBY ACE. you're probably subscribed to his youtube channel. i would laugh if someone asked me to sign a disc after that. if it takes a million throws, then you're probably not that good at disc golf because you waste your practice time on ace runs instead of something that might help your game. respect? i can give a blind man a gun and eventually he can hit a bullseye. after a while it's just a matter of time.

but you have fun with that!

I've got a cubby ace, and two Ace Race aces, but I'm not counting any of those. Still waiting for the first one.

Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby.

Hardest part for anyone would be to NOT swear loudly in front of a soccer field full of youngsters, like I did. Bout a decade ago. Classic roc on a 200 some footer.

And did it again (loud swearing) a few aces later, except only in front of a few kids on a playground. After that people wonder why my celebration is now just two arms pointed straight up in the air.

Stay classy out there.

I don't understand how the exact same thing can be one thing at one time then 2 seconds later be something else. A black ace is kissing your sister.

Please tell me you are kidding...

You can't honestly tell me that you don't see the incredible increase on second, third, fourth, etc throws. After your first throw you can "dial in" your following throws based upon your observations of the first throw. And your argument for throwing a second round later in the day is completely moot. In between the first time and the second time you throw that hole you have most likely thrown 50+ other shots, had lunch, chilled, etc.

What's an ace, then? My only qualification for an ace is that you hole out from the tee.

Well congrats that you get to be the new final authority on the definition of words.

"YOU" can call it an ace...most of the rest of the sane people in this world would call it a nice shot that didn't count. Am I also assuming that you are one of the people that throw their putters 500'?

You don't get multiple shots from the tee in a tournament...why do you think that is? It's because it gets significantly easier on subsequent shots once you can adjust from the first shot...plus... it's not how the damn sport is played!

I had a friend that unloaded his bag on a 210' foot hole and hit it on his 7th shot...he get all excited and handed me his disc to sign. And I did...I signed it...congrats on getting it in on your 7th shot! Right there is black sharpie is big black letters.

it is sweet, and deserves a 'cool shot bro'. nothing else. IT IS A CUBBY ACE. you're probably subscribed to his youtube channel. i would laugh if someone asked me to sign a disc after that. if it takes a million throws, then you're probably not that good at disc golf because you waste your practice time on ace runs instead of something that might help your game. respect? i can give a blind man a gun and eventually he can hit a bullseye. after a while it's just a matter of time.

but you have fun with that!

you have interesting logic. bet i have more aces than you too :D

Well congrats that you get to be the new final authority on the definition of words.

"YOU" can call it an ace...most of the rest of the sane people in this world would call it a nice shot that didn't count. Am I also assuming that you are one of the people that throw their putters 500'?

You don't get multiple shots from the tee in a tournament...why do you think that is? It's because it gets significantly easier on subsequent shots once you can adjust from the first shot...plus... it's not how the damn sport is played!

I had a friend that unloaded his bag on a 210' foot hole and hit it on his 7th shot...he get all excited and handed me his disc to sign. And I did...I signed it...congrats on getting it in on your 7th shot! Right there is black sharpie is big black letters.

Final authority because no one else will state one.

I'm not saying it's as impressive as hitting it on the first shot, or when it's being scored, or in a tournament. I'm saying it's an ace. I've thrown plenty shots that were perfectly "adjusted". They didn't go in.

Call it a "cubby" ace if you want to, but it's an ace.

If I'm playing and scoring 5 rounds at a time, what score do I put if I ace on the 3rd disc?

Last edited:
Final authority because no one else will state one.

I'm not saying it's as impressive as hitting it on the first shot, or when it's being scored, or in a tournament. I'm saying it's an ace. I've thrown plenty shots that were perfectly "adjusted". They didn't go in.

Call it a "cubby" ace if you want to, but it's an ace.

If I'm playing and scoring 5 rounds at a time, what score do I put if I ace on the 3rd disc?

I wouldn't call it a cubby ace, I would call it a nice second/third/fourth shot.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but why in the world would you score 5 rounds at the same time? I mean anyone can do anything they want, but to what end would you do 5 rounds at the same time and keep score? These wouldn't be rated or official rounds so why? Personal satisfaction? Practice? Because if you were throwing 5 drives per hole there is no way those would be official rounds or even rounds that would count in any way.

The fact that doesn't change is this... any additional shots you take after the first shot become progressively easier. If you came to me and said I shot 15 down and I threw 5 drives every hole...then I would say, no you didn't...sorry.